Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Gab and Fab are on pre-Lambert wages but you would think there is more wiggle room in Vlaar's wages given he was signed by Lambert. Randy was able to stump up improved terms to hold on to Benteke last year so I'd be surprised if even a 50% increase of Vlaar's wages wouldn't be within the budget for our Captain.

I think what will go against Vlaar when it comes to CL suitors is his inability to stay fit for a whole season. He had a great WC where he only played a few games but at one point another knee injury looked like it might keep him out.

I feel there were a number of younger, fitter CB's with more potential that might allow us to keep him.  If he goes anywhere I think it will be Man U. The manager knows him and can get the best out of him and Man U have enough money to purchase a number of CB's for when he is injured.

I think what will go against Vlaar when it comes to CL suitors is his inability to stay fit for a whole season. He had a great WC where he only played a few games but at one point another knee injury looked like it might keep him out.

I feel there were a number of younger, fitter CB's with more potential that might allow us to keep him.  If he goes anywhere I think it will be Man U. The manager knows him and can get the best out of him and Man U have enough money to purchase a number of CB's for when he is injured.

Thats fine for most clubs though as he wont cost 50 million. He will be a cheap gamble for them.

I dont think it will come to money with him. I think he will want to goto a club with a chance of winning some trophies.

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

Apart from being our longest serving player I don't understand why Gabby should be offer a improved terms contract, if he loves the Villa he should just sign for the same as he's getting now.

At the risk of wandering too far off topic, I wouldn't even mind if Gabby were offered reduced wages and performance-based bonuses. Motivation appears to be a problem with him. Give him an incentive to bang in say 10 goals a season, if he performs well he'll be paid well. I'm least worried about losing him because 1) he's the least consistent performer of the three and 2) I don't think he'll get many offers elsewhere.

Delph and Vlaar are another matter. Vlaar definitely deserves a raise. I'd like to see Delph at least get an extension at the same pay. Both are very important to us. Delph is just now starting to fulfill his promise, it would be a real shame to lose him and see him go on to fulfill that potential somewhere else.

But that's so inaccurate it's not even worth reading

Shhhhh. We know that. Don't tell the other teams.

What has Vlaar done for Villa to deserve a pay rise?

He has been captain for the best part of 2 of the most dreadful seasons in memory, part of a defence conceding 61 league goals last season and 69 the season before. By any standards this is poor obviously he doesn't like playing over Christmas so he has missed games and he can't be blamed for the goals in those games but a pay rise? Let the Dutch FA pay him because he's not the same player when he plays for us.

And before anyone says it's because he's got better players around him I'd argue that good players don't need better players to make them look good. Anyone who saw Paul McGrath play knows that Macca would have still looked world class even if he had of had the chuckle brothers around him.

If he wont (or any other player) sign a new contract then either he should play his contract out or leave, no big deal as no player is bigger than the club. Except in this case I can't shake the feeling that Sendros is Vlaar's replacement if he is then for god sake Lerner pay Vlaar whatever it takes!!!!!

But if we sell him for less than 10m, I'll be pissed. 

Agree with this, £10M would seem about right.

Also, think that Gabby and Delph should be allowed to leave if they are looking for wage increases, neither has done anything to justify their current level of pay (sure i read Gabby at £55k p/w and Delph at £40k p/w???), That kind of money would be better allocated elsewhere (a proper winger and a DM).

Gabby on £5k p/w just makes me laugh.

WC performances are overrated. Mind the last CB we had who had a great WC.

Vlaar is a good player for us yes, but dont get carried away with his WC hype. He isnt our Saviour by a long shot.

• Like 2

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

I totally expect we will not offer these players enough to warrant them signing new deals and I fully expect the club to then want to cash in on them. Which is why last week in the vlaar thread I was saying we should sell for 10m and got criticised for it

I think that Vlaar will be offered a new deal and if it's less than 40k per week then he'll leave. That's assuming he's not on that already, of course.

To compare him with other players, I am sure that Hairyhands once said that Gabby is on 60k per week and Delph on 55k per week. If so, neither should get anywhere near that in a new deal and Vlaar should be getting more than their new offers.

Edited by villarocker

I totally expect we will not offer these players enough to warrant them signing new deals and I fully expect the club to then want to cash in on them. Which is why last week in the vlaar thread I was saying we should sell for 10m and got criticised for it

That's because not everyone shares your belief that the club will want to cash in so easily.

WC performances are overrated. Mind the last CB we had who had a great WC.

Vlaar is a good player for us yes, but dont get carried away with his WC hype. He isnt our Saviour by a long shot.

> Implying we didn't earn 7 TIMES the points per game with him in the team

> Implying we kept a single clean sheet in the 7 games he missed

> Implying we wouldn't have been relegated without him last season

No im not implying that. I said he was a good player didnt I. Its because the rest of team are so bad that he stands out so much.

Looking at this situation objectively Vlaar will leave. His stock has just risen incredibly given his World Cup performance and he's at a club that battles relegation every season.

There isn't any reason for him to stay unless he gets a huge pay rise which I doubt he'll get given our situation.

That's because not everyone shares your belief that the club will want to cash in so easily.

You do know we are still owned by one Mr Randolph Lerner? He will buckle at £3.5m IMO and why not I think he'll have a long wait for his £200m.

Plus no one will offer £10m for a player in the final year of his contract, known to be injury prone and playing for a club desperate for money! 

Â