Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

His FIFA 14 card is criminal. The pace and heading are an absolute joke. I guarantee if he went to Roma his card would probably be an 83 with 75+ pace and heading in the 80s. It's just cause he plays for Villa.

I might be an old fart but honestly that means nothing to me and its a bigger sign of the modern game I guess

• Like 1

Nah I doubt it, he is pretty slow.

He makes molasses look like water.

Proof:

PL-CB-Vlaar.jpg

61 passing? What a joke. Even FM didn't get it right (and they're usually spot on). Passing and composure are 10 and 12 apparently. In fact according to FM Clark is a much better passer than Vlaar.

But yeah, a lot of non-Villa fans just don't seem to get Vlaar. Even some of my mates who are actually really into football have only just started to take notice.

Vlaar is our best defender and he has had a good World Cup. But for me he hasn't performed that well in a villa shirt. I think despite his size he isn't very confident in the air and he likes others to take that responsibility. I think that is why we have seen baker play ahead of Clark (and why senderos has come in) or why we hav played at the back so he can sweep up. Even when teams play one up front he isn't the one who marks, which as the experienced defender I think he should.

Dunne and Collins was very good players at Villa. but in their time, all back four were decent.

and last two seasons, our back four was just terrible except Vlaar.

I don't say that Vlaar is better, just think comparison is unfair.

Have to say I thought Collins was one of the most overrated defenders I've seen here. Dunne had a very good season in 09/10 but was a liability after that especially off the pitch.

Ron is much better on the ball than either of them were (Collins especially who was a hoof merchant) and as others have said we had better protection in those days e.g. quality like Milner and Petrov infront of the back 4.

We still conceded a fair number of goals under Houllier and McLeish with those two as our centre halfs.

• Like 1

Dunne and Collins was very good players at Villa. but in their time, all back four were decent.

Have to say I thought Collins was one of the most overrated defenders I've seen here. Dunne had a very good season in 09/10 but was a liability after that especially off the pitch.

Ron is much better on the ball than either of them were (Collins especially who was a hoof merchant) and as others have said we had better protection in those days e.g. quality like Milner and Petrov infront of the back 4.

We still conceded a fair number of goals under Houllier and McLeish with those two as our centre halfs.

This is what I think a lot of people often miss, especially with Dunne who I think is sometimes overrated on here. Once Milner was gone Dunne looked very poor and that was with Petrov still there. Vlaar on the other hands looks very good in a Villa shirt with nothing like the kind of protection that Dunne got most of the time and he looks even better playing for the Netherlands.

Vlaar is without doubt one of the top 3 CBs I've ever seen play for Villa (bit too young to remember Southgate properly and definitely too young to remember McGrath).

Edited by Mantis

At the time we purchased Warnock, he was in the England reckoning, Cuellar was a solid player hence we paid his release clause. Vlaar is better than Dunne and Collins, but he plays in a worse side. Lets not forget the Dunne and Collins you keep going on about, were part of the side that conceded 7 at Chelsea.

Unlikely that referring to that 09/10 season will back-up your point, tbh.

Warnock was not only in the England "reckoning", he went to South Africa 2010.

Vlaar is a good defender surrounded by utter shite. That's it.

I have been undecided about Vlaar in the past. One minute he looks sublime, the next he looks awkward and panicky. But, there's absolutely no denying that Vlaar played excellently at the World Cup against top class attackers, whilst surrounded by decent defenders.

It just goes to show how poor Villa's other defenders are. But, Vlaar and Okore did well for the short time they had together last season so I'm hopeful of a more solid defence this season, if big Ron stays of course.

This is what I think a lot of people often miss, especially with Dunne who I think is sometimes overrated on here. Once Milner was gone Dunne looked very poor and that was with Petrov still there. Vlaar on the other hands looks very good in a Villa shirt with nothing like the kind of protection that Dunne got most of the time and he looks even better playing for the Netherlands.

Vlaar is without doubt one of the top 3 CBs I've ever seen play for Villa (bit too young to remember Southgate properly and definitely too young to remember McGrath).

I've witnessed some great centre backs over the years. McGrath being the best but, Evans, Teale, Southgate, Ehiogu, Alpay, Mellberg and Laursen have all been good to watch over the years. If Ron stays and we get some decent defenders around him, he's going to be right up there in the list of great Villa centre backs in my opinion.

• Like 1

His FIFA 14 card is criminal. The pace and heading are an absolute joke. I guarantee if he went to Roma his card would probably be an 83 with 75+ pace and heading in the 80s. It's just cause he plays for Villa.

I remember getting really excited when we first had Young and Carew because I thought i'd be able to play our superpace counterattacking style in FIFA, only to find that the pace and acceleration of Young and Gabby was in the low 80s and they were being easily outpaced by slow centre backs from basically every other team.

The best thing about recruiting the likes of Senderos and Joe Cole is that their FIFA ratings are pretty good because they played for a big 4 club several years back.

Vlaar is our best defender and he has had a good World Cup. But for me he hasn't performed that well in a villa shirt

This, why some people are trying to make out he's been some sort of defensive colossus for us I don't know

• Like 1

Vlaar is our best defender and he has had a good World Cup. But for me he hasn't performed that well in a villa shirt

This, why some people are trying to make out he's been some sort of defensive colossus for us I don't know

How is he supposed to perform the same way as he does for us with shite players around him ffs! This is most common sensical and has been highlighted a multitude of times on here! Even with all the shite around him he has stood out as our best defender, and at the world cup, he REALLY stood out with better players around him. It's not rocket science ffs. It's like saying Christiano Ronaldo is shite because look at how Portugal performed etc.

• Like 1

Are they? Or are they just suggesting he is a good defender and not the average/poor defender some have tried to suggest.

Personally I think it's the later.

Although Villa's record without him last season clearly shows his unquestionable importance to the side.

• Like 4

FYI, Fifa stats are mostly submitted by the people themselves, I have been in that program myself. Big chance that the ones who has submitted his stats are actually from Birmingham :) However, there might be stricter rules when it comes to the biggest leagues, I am not sure. You register up for the team you know best and submit stats from there. People can correct it of course if they have access. Obviously if you put down dribble on 99 then it's not gonna happen in the final game. Then there is the fact that they scale it depending on form as well every week, but that is different. Just putting it out there.....

FYI, Fifa stats are mostly submitted by the people themselves, I have been in that program myself. Big chance that the ones who has submitted his stats are actually from Birmingham :) However, there might be stricter rules when it comes to the biggest leagues, I am not sure. You register up for the team you know best and submit stats from there. People can correct it of course if they have access. Obviously if you put down dribble on 99 then it's not gonna happen in the final game. Then there is the fact that they scale it depending on form as well every week, but that is different. Just putting it out there.....

Where do I sign up?

Lescott is **** 10% faster than Vlaar in 14.

Edit - **** 20% FASTER. AAAAAARRGH.

lesd.png

Edited by ArteSuave

Â