Stephen Ireland

omariqy

No he didn't

I don't need stats or a website to know you are talking bollocks ;-)

These stats? :D

Irelands average last season:

2.3 tackles per game. (Cheik Tiote 2.8 N'zonzi 1.7)

2.6 interceptions. ( Cheik Tiote 2.5 N'zonzi 1.7 )

0.6 clearances (Cheik Tiote 1.4 N'zonzi 2.3)

0.3 blocked shot.(Cheik Tiote 0.4 N'zonzi 0.2)

Isn't it possible that all those stats would be higher than what they should be as we'd have been defending so much?

Yup, just as his offensive play suffered. I expect it to be somewhat the other way around this season.

Stephen Ireland was awful last season. His performances certainly didnt help us - in fact if anything they hindered us - just like the performances of the vast majority of the players. A truly disgusting season in which there were very little positives.

Weimanns goal against Fulham and Hutton save against West Brom was the bit of luck we had to keep us up.

Thankfully we can all move on, and im pleased to say that Stephen Ireland appears to be showing signs hes moving on and improving for Aston Villa.

Fixed that for you.

No he didn't

I don't need stats or a website to know you are talking bollocks ;-)

These stats? :D

Irelands average last season:

2.3 tackles per game. (Cheik Tiote 2.8 N'zonzi 1.7)

2.6 interceptions. ( Cheik Tiote 2.5 N'zonzi 1.7 )

0.6 clearances (Cheik Tiote 1.4 N'zonzi 2.3)

0.3 blocked shot.(Cheik Tiote 0.4 N'zonzi 0.2)

Those defensive stats don't particularly read that strong from any of those players.

If you look at it fairly, Ireland did OK last season. He certainly wasn't brilliant, but he wasn't terrible. Getting POTS was more a testimony to our squads underperformance in general, than him being outstanding.

That said, so far this season he has also been OK. Thankfully, we have a couple of players outperforming him this year.

Yes this for me.

There's one simple reason in mind why Ireland has to play 90% of the time.

The reason is he at least has the ability to move the ball quickly in central midfield, either to another midfielder or out wide.

CI, I take it you were at the Everton game? I assume you observed the snail pace speed the ball was being moved at whenever Herd or Bannan were in possession?

Ireland and KEA from what I've seen are both quick passers so yes that should be a partnership allowed to develop.

Ireland had one really top performance last year - Chelsea away on NYE.

He has to step up to the plate with a consistent amount of assists, key passes and goals this season, to be viewed as a successful season for him. Hopefully PL has the management skill to channel his attitude and find his form on the pitch. Completely agree VillaChris Ireland's value to the team comes in his ability to keep us moving. Much like KEA, and Delph should be doing this also.

I was on hols VillaChris so missed the everton game. I'm looking forward to Saturdays game which should be an open passing game very much a place for Ireland to flourish ?

Looking ahead to see him in his own environment as it were.

Joe Bennett said on the OS:

Best Trainer

Stephen Ireland by a mile - and that's not knocking any of the other lads.

He works really hard and he's really unbelievable on the ball. He always knows what he's going to do with it and is just a quality player.

I have trained with Gaizka Mendieta at Middlesbrough but Stephen is up there with him. He rarely loses the ball.

Most Skilful

I'd say Stephen Ireland again. He's just so good with his feet.

There doesn't seem to be many players in football these days who do stepovers and tricks. But Stephen can do all that and it's a joy to watch.

So without wishing to dis da Ireland boy, what the **** happens in football matches how does he go from Ronaldo crossed with Messi into Mr Adequate / Reasonable, not a bad player but not a bloody world beater either

This is exactly what I find myself asking too.

So without wishing to dis da Ireland boy, what the **** happens in football matches how does he go from Ronaldo crossed with Messi into Mr Adequate / Reasonable, not a bad player but not a bloody world beater either

This is exactly what I find myself asking too.

Yep thought that when I read it...wonder if it is actually the players thoughts or just pr bull?..

Can I just ask CI what exactly Ireland has done to get you so against him?

It's more about what he hasn't done on the pitch

What he has done is toss it off for 2 years here

No hiding place now for him & he has yet to convince me this season

Â