Michael Owen - where did it all go wrong?

TRS-T

Did it all go wrong though? He's 32 years old, he's played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, scored some incredible, memorable goals, represented England in a positive light, and will have an enduring legacy of a world class player...and he made a few shekels along the way. I'd say he's had a very good career, despite his setbacks.

Did it all go wrong though? He's 32 years old, he's played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, scored some incredible, memorable goals, represented England in a positive light, and will have an enduring legacy of a world class player...and he made a few shekels along the way. I'd say he's had a very good career, despite his setbacks.

Agree with all that but it could of been so much more. He should of had more trophies, more caps, and he should be the all time top scorer for England.

And he probably would have been if he hadnt suffered so badly with injury. The thread is already going round in circles, isnt it?

Only the fourth Englishman after Matthews, Charlton and Keegan to win the Ballon D'Or too. There is no way he could have played regularly in the Premiership so the Utd move was the best move for him imo. In his first season for them he still scored the winner in the Manchester derby and got a Champions League hattrick. Quality player ruined by injuries, yet still achieved a lot in that time.

So that move to the unnamed club that he was close to joining a couple of weeks ago never came off.

It is almost as if his agent was trying to flush interested parties out by making it look like he was going to be snapped up.....

• 2 weeks later...

The thing no ones mentioned so far.. after all he did for Liverpool he then went to Manure and thus killing his legend status in a large number of fans eyes.

Can you imagine Sid in a blues shirt?

On that basis alone he shouldnt have signed for Manure

Depends how much he cares about what Liverpool fans think of him, doesnt it? Based on the evidence that he signed for Manchester United, I guess the answer is not much. Even if he hadnt signed for United he wouldnt be in the same league with Liverpool fans as Sid is with us though, Owen was never as popular as Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish or Kevin Keegan with the Kop End.

• 3 weeks later...
He should go and play in the Championship for 6months to prove himself. Why he thinks he should play in the Premier League is beyond me.

Why should he? He's good enough to play at a top level. He doesn't need to play football to pay bills or anything so if he hasn't got a suitable offer that he likes there's no need to go and play for an average team just because he can.

by most accounts stoke made him a very good offer but it wasnt enough

if thats the case he needs to find a balance, if he wants tons of cash (cant see why though, he cant be poor) go play in the states, china or oz, if you want to play in the prem that bad then accept a reasonable offer, the days of owen earning over £40k a week in this country are long gone IMO, no club would take the risk

Â