General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General have you spoken to our new National Security Advisor since he landed the job? What will Commandant 32 be bringing to the new Administration? Will US security share in the Marine in charge effect we Villa fans have been enjoying? and how about getting Obama to a game on one of what I imagine will be many visits to the UK in the next 4 years?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General. Had an email (below) off a chap I know, Hereford United fan, that makes me proud to be Villa. Hats off to all at the club, specially the person involved; another example of the direction Mr Lerner et al are taking us in. Not just the best named club in football (with the nicest colours) but the best reputation too! UTV.

"My 16 year old cousin John went out to Gambia with his school to build a basketball court for the local community. He came back thinking he could help the kids out there by getting football clubs to donate shirts for them. He (with sister and his Dad) set about dilligently writing to every one of the English 92, and most of the Scottish clubs too. Last time I was over there it was fun going through each and every rejection letter, marvelling at the shiny beauty of some of the letter headed paper, mocking those lesser fortunate clubs and their tatty photocopied fare. As of a few weeks ago he'd received about 50 odd rejections without anyone donating so much as an old pair of socks.

Their responses were almost eerily similar - stock lines about getting lots of requests like that so only working with partnership charities. Fair enough really - they aren't to know whether it all ends up on ebay otherwise.

But.. Last night I heard that one club had come through for him and flown in the face of every other club in the land. Yep - Aston Villa FC. They didn't send a shirt though - they sent six shirts, six pairs of shorts, and a pair of socks.

Aston Villa: The nicest football club in the world? No coincidence this is also the club that gave up a multi-million shirt deal to help a charity out. They have made some Gambian school kids very happy indeed - and Villa for life I dare say."

Hi General. Had an email (below) off a chap I know, Hereford United fan, that makes me proud to be Villa. Hats off to all at the club, specially the person involved; another example of the direction Mr Lerner et al are taking us in. Not just the best named club in football (with the nicest colours) but the best reputation too! UTV.

"My 16 year old cousin John went out to Gambia with his school to build a basketball court for the local community. He came back thinking he could help the kids out there by getting football clubs to donate shirts for them. He (with sister and his Dad) set about dilligently writing to every one of the English 92, and most of the Scottish clubs too. Last time I was over there it was fun going through each and every rejection letter, marvelling at the shiny beauty of some of the letter headed paper, mocking those lesser fortunate clubs and their tatty photocopied fare. As of a few weeks ago he'd received about 50 odd rejections without anyone donating so much as an old pair of socks.

Their responses were almost eerily similar - stock lines about getting lots of requests like that so only working with partnership charities. Fair enough really - they aren't to know whether it all ends up on ebay otherwise.

But.. Last night I heard that one club had come through for him and flown in the face of every other club in the land. Yep - Aston Villa FC. They didn't send a shirt though - they sent six shirts, six pairs of shorts, and a pair of socks.

Aston Villa: The nicest football club in the world? No coincidence this is also the club that gave up a multi-million shirt deal to help a charity out. They have made some Gambian school kids very happy indeed - and Villa for life I dare say."

wow, makes you proud to be claret and blue.

Good Morning General,

I know you are a very busy man and I find it really humbling to think that you come away from an Obama transition meeting to talk to us.

I have a bit of a request for your help.

I am not sure if you remember but about 12 months ago, a promising young footballer called Adam Baxter was taken from us whilst on a footballing scholarship over in the States. I do know that it was discussed at the time on your thread and I know the club very kindly donated items to the memorial fund set up by his father.

I am a colleague of Adam's uncle and the memorial fund are having a fund raising evening next week and his uncle was wondering if club would be so kind as to donate anything to place into a charity auction or if you could point me in the right direction at the club. The memorial fund has been set up to assist young sport people by helping towards costs for equipment and training etc. and any help would be very much appreciated by all those who knew Adam.

Thanks

Derek.

General Krulak here:

1. GaztonVilla: The Brute is in bad shape...in fact, I think he is fighting his last battle. I was going to be in UK this weekend but now will be flying to California tomorrow night to be with him. Thank you for asking.

2. There will be a family ticket game again but not sure when. Again, it will be at a game where we don't expect a large turnout of fans and will be an opportunity to introduce Villa to our youth.

3. I was with the transition team yesterday but Gen Jones was not there. I do know him...he succeeded me as Commandant of the Marine Corps. I believe he will do a fine job...as I believe President-elect Obama will do a fine job. He is certainly surrounding himself with good people.

4. Toast: I am so happy to read your post...although, as always, this was supposed to be done "quietly."

5. Derek: Please contact Lee Preece at AVFC and provide him all the background...he will help you out.

General i hope the meeting went well.

The generals would like to see authority rescinded for the CIA to use harsh interrogation methods that go beyond those approved for use by the military, an end to the secret transfer of prisoners to other governments that have a history of torture, and the closing of the U.S. jail at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.

General,

I am home having 'attended' the Zilina game.

Unfortunately I had to street park my car as the (pay)car park that I normally use was closed. My teenage son managed to leave his mobile in the car, on display, and realised 10 minutes or so into the game. I sent him to retrieve it and he came back to tell me that there was no facility to re-admit paying spectators to the North Stand, despite the fact that there were several staff around the entrance/exits.

So we left, my son no doubt until the next time, and me for the last time. My season ticket will be used by relatives or friends for the remainder of this season and will not be renewed.

I am typing this message not to seek refunds, freebies or apologies, for the former two would certainly be turned down and the latter accepted, but merely to suggest that the club has some kind of future re-admission process for supporters in extremely rare moments of difficulty.

General Krulak here:

1. GaztonVilla: The Brute is in bad shape...in fact, I think he is fighting his last battle. I was going to be in UK this weekend but now will be flying to California tomorrow night to be with him. Thank you for asking.

And still you come on here answering questions..........

You're quite an amazing bloke General.

All the Villa fans thoughts are with your Dad at this time

General Krulak here:

1. thetrees: I cannot tell you how sorry I am about your situation. I will immediately make our Hd of Security aware of this incident. We MUST have a way to handle issues such as you describe. Obviously we need to be careful that we are not just letting people leave the stadium to catch a quick smoke but for actual issues and emergencies, we need to be flexible. Again, I apologize and will look to see what can be done in these types of incidences.

2. The meeting with the transition team went very well and I think you will see President Obama take action against Gitmo and against actions that are counter to the Geneva Conventions. We have been working this issue for almost 3 years and we smell success!!

3. After yesterday's game, we MUST win this weekend to keep me sane.

General Sir

Keep the faith, on all the fronts you are currently fighting!

Every game is a must win is this league and in these cup runs, but no team is guaranteed such luxury and rightly so. It is nice to be in a position where at least we have a chance of winning every game, something we have been unable to say for some time which is a mark of how the club are moving forward under the current management team.

And something to bring a smile to your face....I already booked my flight to Istanbul!

In Martin We Trust.

General I hope you and your family pull through this together, I lost my father at a young age and it wasn't very nice, but with help from family and friends we pulled through. It's not a nice time at all, but you have your family, friends, and I think I speak for us all when I say you have all the Villa fans support throughout your tough time.

Please send my best wishes to your family.

General,

Best of luck with your father, and good wishes to your family.

Just a quick thought regarding the club shop. Have we ever thought about selling 'non Villa' items in the club shop? I ask because whenever I buy gifts for people I try and get something from Villa to put back into the club, but a lot of my family don't support Villa, so I can't really get anything for them. Maybe if we sold footballs, t-shirts, and maybe some England merchandise without Villa on, other fans would be catered for and revenune would presumably increase.

Cheers

General Krulak here:

1. thetrees: I cannot tell you how sorry I am about your situation. I will immediately make our Hd of Security aware of this incident. We MUST have a way to handle issues such as you describe. Obviously we need to be careful that we are not just letting people leave the stadium to catch a quick smoke but for actual issues and emergencies, we need to be flexible. Again, I apologize and will look to see what can be done in these types of incidences.

2. The meeting with the transition team went very well and I think you will see President Obama take action against Gitmo and against actions that are counter to the Geneva Conventions. We have been working this issue for almost 3 years and we smell success!!

3. After yesterday's game, we MUST win this weekend to keep me sane.

General, so to hear about your father. These things put life in prospective, any work concerns are not important. Work is part of your life, life is not work.

Anyway, would it be possible if Aston Villa could start selling match day programmes online? If people are not returning home after a game it is difficult to go out with a match programme in your pocket. I appreciate that a post and package fee would be payable however for me, this would still be cheaper then doing a 20+ round trip journey to the Villa shop at Villa Park to purchase a programme.

I also think that Aston Villa are missing out on ticket sales by not having facilities in the concourses for fans to buy future tickets for home games before and after games. This may reduce the congestion at the ticket office on match days.

General, Went to the Holte pub before the Zilina game, did have moments where i was disappointed with the club apparently only 4 people are allowed in off the same group but you can buy 6? After one of us who went to the game sent an email and questioned this the 2 of us, me and my cousin were allowed in. And is a really nice pub, well run by the looks of it and a great atmosphere in there. Just wanted to let you know that I was very impressed with how our problem was coped with and how well the club has done with the pub, looks great and staff are very quick even when the bar was packed- very impressed, and with the luck of getting invites made our day despite the loss, might of just been the alcohol though :). Great pub, great club.

General,

Best wishes from me at this time.

Puts todays game into Everton well into perspective...although a win would obviously be nice.

I imagine Hillary to be a bit like the VP in Prison Break, series one. Am I dead right or just nearly right? Obama will be a bit like President Palmer in 24, I expect.