General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

1. Troglodyte: Congratulations on your younger brother's decision. If you want some reinforcement, pm me his number and I will give him a call and welcome him to the "Family."

General, the fact that we have someone at the club, as high up as yourself, willing to phone a mere mortal like Troglodyte's brother fills me with pride. Other clubs don't know what they are missing out on by not having our board. Please please keep it up.

Also, sorry if you've already told us this, but any chance of you being at Villa Park next Saturday? If so, will you be on your travels around the ground, it would be an honour to meet you!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General,Troglodyte's story semi echoes mine with my 12 year old son who has always followed Man U.Ordered the new home top from the OS for him last week so hopefully the 'wind of change' is upon him.He's at the same College MON went to and I'll be pretty happy if he follows his footsteps with a couple of Euro Cup medals(with Villa) and ends up Villa manager.

My main point General is that I was on the JJB sports website this evening and they're still using the old badge.As they are one of the largest sports retailers in the UK I reckon this needs fixing.

General I know your looking into the price and currency difference on jerseys but kinda on that subject, I was doing a google for a pic of our new Away Jersey to show the Girlfiriend what it looked like (she loved it btw) and I found a USA site selling it?

How is that some online store in the US is selling but our own online club shop isn't?

Thanks

Hi General

I am fully aware of the the many positive things the new board has done to get new supporters to Villa Park but I feel the new ticket policy to charge the full adult price for children in the Upper DE and Trinity is a very negative step.

I can see the short term commercial gain if you can get an adult into the seat but I fear you will miss out on many other children who are introduced slowly to world of football at Villa Park.

Last year I introduced my Grandson to a few games and he gain enough interest to ask his mother for a season ticket which was are aim, but due to the new rules on tickets this is a no go including even occasional visits.

General, just saw an advert in the Birmingham Evening Mail advertsing Arsenal soccer schools here in Brum. I know we run similar stuff as I used to go them myself when I was younger but surely we can't be doing enough when Arsenal are offering courses also on our manor.

General Krulak here:

1. I will see what I can do about JJB Sports web site. As you know, we have had our own problems in making the necessary changes. Our bad!

2. Irish1: I am not sure exactly why this has happened but, to be honest, I am glad because my sense is that Nike drove that and that is good!! If we can get Nike moving on world-wide exposure, it will help us across the spectrum. We need sales in many countries...as you have read from fans on this site.

3. bakerbob: I understand what you are saying. I have commented on ticket prices until I am blue in the face. I do understand your concern and can see exactly where you are coming from. I wish I could say something that would alter your perception but there just isn't anything I can say that would do that...other than to change the prices.

4. DUNTONVILLA: This is a pretty complicated issue so let me put your mind at ease...no matter how complicated, we will make it work. We should have the word soon.

5. We are conducting as many football schools as we can and not put out a poor product.

I know , i know , you don't comment on transfers .. but what I don't understand is

How come we were interested in Bentley enough to bid say £12m but decide at say £15m we are not interested

I know MON is a man of principal and doesn't want to waste cash but I just brought a house ,for sure I didn't want to pay the asking price but i really wanted that house so after some too'ing and fro'ing ..i got my house .. why is buying a player any different ?? We obviously rated him enough to bid , surely price is negotiable , as it has been in the Barry situation , the given impression is that whilst we preach to Liverpool , we don't practise it with Blackburn

i know we shouldn't doubt the club or the manager , and your actions have spoken volumes about you all

But, and this is the thing with Aston Villa , there is ALWAYS a but .....

It's the same old spin. Two years into O'Neills management reign and we still have the smallest squad in the division. I think a lot of us are wising up to these "wee" coincidences that see us continually not strengthening the first team squad to an appropriate number.

The clocks ticking and we're as ineffective in the transfer market as ever. Not that we should mention something as low on the priority list as our transfer policy (the thing that really matters) to someone on the board of directors (our route to tell you about our feelings about OUR club). Heaven forbid - let's all discuss painting a railway bridge instead!

tonyh29: To attempt to reply for the general....

The difference between Villa's situation and your example is that the chance you and the person you purchased your house from doing another deal in the near future is small, thus the fact you (presumably) overpaid for your house doesn't matter, that and the fact you wont buy another house soon.

If we bought Bentley for say £25million (a price most would agree is a bad deal for us) from Blackburn, even if he is a great success on the pitch we've permanently weakened our negotiating position. In the future if we go to buy a player the club will presume we have money to spare and force the price up(even only by a small amount, if it happens repeatedly it adds up). Such as the situation with Chelsea buying Bosingwa, I doubt as a fullback hes worth 17million but as everyone knows Chelsea are rich they've been forced to pay it. The issue is that Chelsea are rich and they can afford it, we can't afford that to happen on a permanent basis.

One of the key points in negotiating is to have a strong starting position, and ensure the person on the other end of the negotiating table knows that, having alternatives and not conceding on price too easily is one of the best ways to do this. Similar to the way Rafa has sent about 3/4 slightly higher bids to us about Barry in a short period, hes made himself look very weak and desperate especially as he doesn't appear to have any alternatives lined up.

Its frustrating but its the best long term policy!

It's the same old spin. Two years into O'Neills management reign and we still have the smallest squad in the division. I think a lot of us are wising up to these "wee" coincidences that see us continually not strengthening the first team squad to an appropriate number.

The clocks ticking and we're as ineffective in the transfer market as ever. Not that we should mention something as low on the priority list as our transfer policy (the thing that really matters) to someone on the board of directors (our route to tell you about our feelings about OUR club). Heaven forbid - let's all discuss painting a railway bridge instead!

Excuse me for saying this Ross – but that's utter rubbish!

And to keep this on topic, let's ask the good General if he agrees. Specifically, let's ask him a few questions:

– although squad size is obviously a concern, is it fair to say that MON's decisions proved to be the right ones last season (when we jumped 6 league places): even though, at the beginning of that season, the same old people were moaning about the same old things?

- when the member of the board who takes the time to talk to fans directly – uniquely in the premier league – has said many, many times that he has no influence on transfer deals, and has no real day-to-day info, is it ignorant to keep quizzing him on our transfer policy?

- is it fair to say we are 'ineffective' in the transfer market when those teams that spent lavishly and ostentatiously in the last closed season – namely Spurs and Man City – finished well below us in the league? Would we prefer to spend on players that MON targets (Ashley and Curtis, for instance), or would we prefer to splash the cash, bringing in names that impress the tabloids?

Sorry Ross – but your opinion exasperates me. I just don't understand where the hell you are coming from!

Assuming that the General is privy to Randy's true motivations and intentions – stuff that we have to take on trust: and I, for one, absolutely trust our owner (and, by the way, the General) – I wonder how Gen Krulak feels when he reads posts like yours? You are insinuating some sort of deception is going on, if I'm reading you right.

So I'll end this post (once again, to ensure it stays on topic!) with a question for General K...

- Does the negativity that surfaces on this board (all too often) piss you off?

- Do you get annoyed when the initiatives designed to give us back our tradition and pride, which come straight from Randy's pocket – from the Holte Hotel to the crest mosaics – are dismissed by some idiotic fans as gimmicks?

(Incidentally, unlike Ross, the painting of the station bridge is pretty important to me: it's all to do with who we are and where we come from – something I could write pages and pages on.)

I'll save the General's time for him, here is what he told you on the 3rd of this month Ross:

RossAndreas: I have only said the following to 3 people on all the sites I post on..."Let's agree to disagree." If you believe that the role of the Board of Directors is tied to decent acquisitions, then we will never come to an agreement. Simply put, the Board does not have a role in Player Personnel....that is the job of our Manager and those who support him. The Board supports Villa in many, many, ways but we do NOT get involved in players. I have watched other Boards get involved and cause HUGE problems...both with the NFL and the Premiership. We have learned from both observation and experience that when a Board starts micro-managing the Manager and Coaches, the end is not far off. BAD IDEA!!! If you want to personally hold me accountable for this Transfer Season...fine, I will take it because we will have a good one.

Just to add: of course, like Ross, I hope to see some quality signings come in soon – but, as I see it, that's up to MON... And, since I trust him, I accept that I have to live with his slooooowwww style. (Yes, I'm one of his apologists!)

General Krulak here:

2. Irish1: I am not sure exactly why this has happened but, to be honest, I am glad because my sense is that Nike drove that and that is good!! If we can get Nike moving on world-wide exposure, it will help us across the spectrum. We need sales in many countries...as you have read from fans on this site.

Umm so weird the shop has removed the jersey now use short link please

General, a simple Football question.

Is there any reason why our club is going into two of its most important matches for years with NO recognised Right-back, No cover at Leftback, Only one Goalkeeper, No cover fpr Laursen, and only one right Winger/midfield player?

If Laursen, Gardner or Bourma get injured tonight, what happens?

Our proud badge carries the word prepared, why are we not prepared?. And if we fail, who will carry the can?

In two years, we have acquired the smallest squad in living history. We cant even call it a squad, cos we cant fill out a bench tonight!. Tell me General, in your honest humble opinion, can you see us challenging for a top four place THIS season, since it is one of our stated aims, with the players we now have at our disposal?

Would you have ordered your Marines into battle without the right backing and support?

Same thing General

PS.

If you cant answer the above, which im sure you will :winkold: , Hows about getting Martin to?

I agree with Peter and I know it's not your area and you have little knowledge because you arent involved in transfer side but I have placed my trust in MON liked asked and he has delivered with 16th to 6th in Premier League placing. But now today is our first competitive match of the season into a european competition that we worked hard to get into last season, and literally 180 minutes away from UEFA cup football and yet our squad is far from prepared. Hopefully our key players pull us out of the bag and get us through but there are only a few of them and MON should have least got one or two more in by now to support them.

I understand transfers are hard, I understand getting the quality we want is hard but Peters first paragraph is a serious problem for our club and a number of these issues have been there for a long time, like the right back situation. I do trust MON but I do wish he would stop talking so much about getting support in for our current players and he's working hard to get players in, and I know he's only answering questions from the media.

We all know he is working hard and I know there is no answer to us the fans apart from patience and trust what he's doing. He's a great manager, I just am a little disappointed in him that he has allowed us to be in a vulnerable position for this, our first competitive game, and a game that has a significance on both our season ahead and potentially the view of other players coming to the club if we had European football to offer them. I have no question to you, it's just my comment that I wanted to express and feelings at the moment.

General

What is the hold up in sorting out Bourma a new cotract. This has been talked about for many months now. In January he is free to sign with other teams. If I were him (or his agent) I would now wait and see what other offers come my way. It doesn't seem right that we wait until the last moment all the time. If one of the bigger teams show an interest he'll be off like Mellberg when in my opinion he should be now sitting on a 3 or 4 year contract.

Next up is Ashley Young. Are there plans to tie hiim down to a new long term deal before it's too late here also. Sorry to be negative but the season is upon us and we appear to have done nothing proactive in these areas. I really thought we would be set by now. Someone should be sorting these things out in the off season.

General Krulak here:

1. Let's start with the basic premise that I am a Villa Fan and I am as anxious as anyone to sign players. Hopefully no one out there will challenge that sentence. That being said, almost every comment goes back to "small squad", "is MON slooow", why do some players seem to "get away" from us, why aren't we signing new players and the ones we have, don't we know we are playing a game in 90 minutes, etc. etc. Seriously, is there anyone out there that does not think MON can count...that he doesn't know how many players he needs and that he is short a few??? MON knows exactly where we stand...and has NOT been sitting on his bum and is NOT happy with the numbers. Does anyone really think that MON does not know we have a game in 90 minutes?? Geezz, of course he does. Does anyone think that Randy requires MON to sell before he buys? If they do, they are DEAD WRONG!! Does anyone think that Randy will not open his wallet for MON? If so, they are DEAD WRONG!! Look around the league...seriously, there have not been a plethora of signings. We are about the norm. Why? To be serious, your guess is as good as mine. I can speculate but that is all it would be. I can assure you, MON is working! He is not sitting on his bum. Transfers are hard and getting harder...the league is competitive, agents are in the mix, lots of things going on. It is NOT just AVFC. It is VERY important to us because of where we are now and where we want to go...I understand that. At the same time, those few folks who seem to believe that Randy or the Board ought to jump in and start micromanaging the process are just asking for trouble. MON has a huge amount of help...at Villa Park, at Bodymoor Heath and across the Pond. It is not just a one-man show BUT, MON is the final arbitrator and you will not see Randy or the Board getting into his business. We will do one key thing...WE WILL SUPPORT HIM!!! Randy has NEVER, EVER, said no to MON. Again, I understand your frustrations but it is NOT just a matter of calling up a Club and Player and offering a wad of money....if it were that simple, we would have a bunch of players!

2. On a completely different subject. I read on another blog that my appearing on these boards is for PR. What a bunch of shite. If Mrs "K" ever heard that, she would be on the first plane to the UK. I have posted over 2500 comments on 4 separate sites and have done so almost daily...only times I don't are when I am traveling. Name me one PR guy who would spend that amount of time each day...knowing that in the summer and winter, that PR guy would be in for some heavy stick over transfers. If anyone thinks this is for PR, then they need to get a life...or walk a mile in my shoes. The PR value went away almost 2 years ago....what we are doing now is trying to make OUR Club better.