FIFA 13

GarethRDR

I'd be happy to join this year. Won't be getting the game until next week, though. How does it work? Is it just an online league, and you play against anyone else from that league who's online when you are, or are there fixtures to follow?

Not entirely sure, but like you I won't be getting the game till the weekend. So will have to see.

Played it till the early hours of Saturday and pretty much all of yesterday. I like it, I probably havent explored the game as much as I should have but it's a good improvement on last years game I think.

There's a bug on the EA web app that is stopping me from claiming my free gifts every day (pissed off about that lol) but I think I'm going to get my moneys worth out of the season pass.

Here's some thoughts from a heavy day of play yesterday:

- Villa is easily one of the weakest 4* teams in the game. Playing online Seasons mode with us is a highway to nothing but a constant stream of thrashings. Would be ok if we were lumped in with the 3 & 1/2 * teams but the most frequently used 4* teams are far too good for the Villa defence. I've started playing with Wolfsburg cause Villa just can't cut it.

- The whole virtual pro thing has been somewhat cast aside, you can use him in two modes career as a player (player manager no longer an option) and online BAP thing but the stats aren't shared so you can't build the player up in one mode to use in another. I preferred last years setup since it required a lot less work to make him usable.

- The skills mode is a nice distraction but what I really like about it is that as you progress it switches to manual passing, shooting and crossing. Hopefully this will introduce many players to the challenge of manual, who would have ignored it in the past. IMO in 2-3 iterations FIFA should go fully manual for online play.

- Free kicks you can have 3 players stand over the ball + dummy runs. At first I thought it was just a nice novelty but then in a moment of madness I had the freekick taker slip a through ball to one of the dummy runners as he legged it past the wall sending him into a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Hit the post but it looked class.

- Defending has changed and I can't quite figure out how. I was fairly proficient in tactical defending online but now it seems the opposing team is much better at applying pressure than I am. It reminds me of the homing missiles that were defenders in the legacy defending mode, I could swear seeing two defenders sprinting directly into me from 20 years out that my opponents had tactical defending turned off, but you shouldn't be able to do that in seasons mode. Overall matchmaking looks to be fairly quick and stable I guess we will have to wait and see how the EA Servers handle the full release load.

- I have only played the player career mode so I can't speak for signings etc, it seems decent enough, presentation has certainly improved, they give you a lot more information about goings on around the league. After each match there's a proper classified results walkthrough. One feature that falls flat is updates during the game, commentary regularly gets interrupted by Alan McInally to tell you the scores in another games. it would be grand if McInally wasn't coming on the blower every 60 seconds to tell announce a goal in the 4-3 cracker between Barnet and Morecambe (I'm playing for Wimbo in L2).

- Finally with the commentary I have noticed very few of the Villa players seem to have their names included, Clark, Lichaj, Bent, Ireland, Given, Dunne, that's about it. now I could be wrong but I've heard no mentions for Vlaar, Gabby, Benteke, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Lowton, El Ahmadi, Weimann, Holman, Guzan, Herd. I hope it's just me and I'm a daft word removed for not noticing but at first look Villa seem to be receiving the smae treatment as most League of Ireland teams.

I see they still haven't changed the stupid referees. Same as last year where you make a perfectly good tackle, only to have your player sent off because he was the last man. I wish they'd just get it right everytime, it's not realistic as refs do get things wrong, but at least it wouldn't ruin the game.

I know what you mean. However, based on my experience with FIFA 12, the referees actually get it spot on. If you watch the replays very closely, from the right angle (like I have done in many a rage - very sad) your player will often come into contact with the man a millisecond before the ball, even though it looks like an excellent tackle. This in itself is kind of annoying, but in the opposite way to what you're suggesting: referees wouldn't possibly be able to spot this kind of thing!

I know what you mean. However, based on my experience with FIFA 12, the referees actually get it spot on. If you watch the replays very closely, from the right angle (like I have done in many a rage - very sad) your player will often come into contact with the man a millisecond before the ball, even though it looks like an excellent tackle. This in itself is kind of annoying, but in the opposite way to what you're suggesting: referees wouldn't possibly be able to spot this kind of thing!

I dunno, on this one Zapata made a slide in front of the player, who ran into him and he kind of took the ball. I mean, he didn't even make any contact with the forward.

I think the worst refereeing is the soft penalties though, it makes it too easily exploitable online if you just keep cutting back over and over, eventually if you run into the defender you win the pen.

How come people are playing it already?

Darren Bent is absolutely shocking on this game. Everytime the ball goes to him he just cant turn or move or pass or anything... kinda like real life :lol:
Haven't played 13 yet but in 12 he's a beast, at least when I'm controlling him. Went through about 3 seasons and completely overhauled the squad with world class players after winning the league/CL but I never got rid of him because he's just so damn good.

How come people are playing it already?

Darren Bent is absolutely shocking on this game. Everytime the ball goes to him he just cant turn or move or pass or anything... kinda like real life :lol:
Haven't played 13 yet but in 12 he's a beast, at least when I'm controlling him. Went through about 3 seasons and completely overhauled the squad with world class players after winning the league/CL but I never got rid of him because he's just so damn good.

Same. Bent seemed to be able to finish from everywhere. He was one of my best players and consistently got me the goals. Hopefully he is like that in 13. Gonna find out soon

Â