Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Don't think making new players captain is generally a good idea. Imv it would piss off a lot of the veterans in the dressing room who've been around the club for much longer, because new players would have yet to have the chance to gain the respect from the other players that is critical to good leadership.

That's how we did it back when I was a kid and playing for my Sunday league team. I didn't get picked but no-one liked me much.

It'd be interesting to see who our squad of players could agree on though. It'd give us a bit of an insight. I don't think it'll happen though, Lambert strikes me more as a dictator than a democrat, which is probably good in football.

Let's have a look at all of them -

1. Shay Given

Could be an interesting choice as captain. As someone else said, Goalkeeper can be an interesting position for captain. Just look at the Euro Final. He'd be vocal I think, but does he possess the organisational sense to be captain? Can also be a little erratic.

2. Alan Hutton

No thank you, please.

3. Stephen Warnock

No thank you, please with sugar on top. Although, with the human pinball, we'd be a physical side under his direction.

5. Richard Dunne

Maybe. He has the experience and level head but I think he's quieter on the pitch than we assume.

6. James Collins

We'd be very gung-ho.

7. Stephen Ireland

A lot is made of the Marmite Maverick Man (Bit of alliteration for you there :) ) Yes, he is erratic. Sometimes he looks disinterested sometimes he looks like a battling superstar glue that keeps it all together. Giving him the captaincy may focus his mind or it may be too much for him. I don't know, guess it can't be known unless he's given the captaincy. He's my third favourite for the armband.

8. Karim El Ahmadi

The new guy but seems to have been brought in to be a consistent Ireland and/or fill the gap Petrov has sadly left. Would piss other players off if the new player got the armband, but some of our players need to be pissed off/kicked up the arse, so that may not be a bad thing. I have a feeling he may get the armband by January if things are going well for him. My second favourite to get the armband.

9. Darren Bent

My favourite to get the armband (I've just realised all my favourites are next to each other).

Like a lot of people have said, the captain seems to only be a big thing in England and the reason for that being the importance of it in cricket rubbing off makes sense to me.

Bent is our highest profile player, and the focal point of our attack. Bent is like the opposite of a goalkeeper, if you know what I mean? In the sense a Goalkeepers only job is to stop the ball going in the net, Bents' job is soley to put the ball in the net.

I don't think the armband would distract him from that because nothing distracts Darren Ashley Bent from scoring goals, or looking to anyway. I think an alien could crash land on the pitch and start shooting people and Bent wouldn't notice if the ball had just been driven in to the six-yard box for him to tap in.

Like a few people have said, Darren Bent is very well spoken and has a good reputation and from what I can tell lives a scandal free life, (He was handed a formal warning by police in June 2004 after he was alleged to have shot a 12 year old with a pellet gun but that's eight years ago now) I've seen him say in interviews (And it's on his wikipedia page so must be true) that he doesn't drinki booze, so they'll be no naughty drunken antics.

Basically I think he'd be a good representative of the club and the player most people know.

10. Charles N'Zogbia

Think he's someone who needs to concentrate on his game and keeping his toys in his pram. If he was captain he'd probably stage a revolt in the 60th minute :D

11. Gabriel Agbonlahor

Villa fan, I DO think that's a valid reason to give him the captaincy. But, another player who needs to concentrate on his game this season. I imagine he has a good chance of wearing the armband though, especially if it's shared between a few players.

12. Marc Albrighton

One of the other Villa fans in the squad. But this may be a make or break season for Albrighton so I don't think he'll get the armband. Not sure certain players would listen to him or even if he'll be a first team regular.

14. Brett Holman

I can see Holman having a stake to the captaincy, similar to El Ahmadi, in the future, but this season, especially at the start, he'll be concentrating on making a good impression I think.

16. Fabian Delph

Injuries have prevented him shining at his time at Villa. If he has an injury free season (And stays at Villa) could be very interesting to see what impression he makes on the squad. Has the personality to be a commanding captain, I think.

21. Ciaran Clark

Not yet. But I'd bet my most prized possession he'll be a fantastic vice-captain to Gary Gardner one day. Future Villa hero.

25. Barry Bannan

Same as what I wrote about Albrighton, minus him being a Villa fan.

Loves being the unofficial Spokesman for the team though, seems anywhere there's talk of Villa, Barry Bannan has something to say (I'm not saying that's a bad thing) He's probably got an account on here.

26. Andrea Weimann

Future Villa legend but this season is about his development.

29. Enda Stevens

...Who?

Seems to be the forgotten man.

30. Eric Lichaj

Another one for who this season will be about development, I think.

31. Chris Herd

He will be angry in the future when Gardner and Clark are the captain and vice-captain but he will get it when those two are injured/rested and be a great captain. But for now, it's a development season.

32. Nathan Baker

Development season (I've copy + pasted those two words :) )

33. Andy Marshall

I think he may have forgotten what it's like to play football. May get the armband against Burton on Saturday if he's played.

34. Matthew Lowton

Similar to Holman this season will be about making a good impression stepping up from a league of lesser quality to the Premiership

35. Daniel Johnson

In the future maybe, I like him from what I've seen in Youth and reserves but this season for him will be my copy + paste point :)

36. Graham Burke

Development season. Looks like a good goalscorer.

37. Derrick Williams

Development season and trying to make an impact on the first team. Think he's a cracking defender.

38. Gary Gardner

Future Villa captain, mark my words :) We'll all idolise him one day if we don't already. Would like to see him get the armband now and again if they do decide to pass it around. But he, like others, may be concentrating on making an impression on the side.

40. Samir Carruthers

Development season. Looks like a very exciting player.

Jean II Makoun

His focus will be on other things...like playing for someone else :) no, if he is still at Villa I think this season, like others I've mentioned, will be about gaining the trust of fans and players and impressing us all (Which I think he has the capacity to do)

Nathan Delfouneso

Another one who will be focusing on making an impression on the side. People forget how young he is, like they used to do with Gabby, because he's been in and around the squad for a while.

Have I missed anyone out?

Personally, I also quite like idea of players voting on who will captain the side each week, although that could get messy.

Well done for talking the time to post all of that, but was it necessary?

Did you really need to go into detail as to why Delfouneso and Derrick Williams shouldn't be captain?

That said, a decent analysis of where our current squads at.

Good to here that Lambert is a fan of Clark's, he is certainly a captain in waiting imo, but i think it may just be a little too soon. He's still young and has time on his side.

Also good to hear that Lambert is looking to play him as a centre half, which is his best position by a country mile. Im a massive fan of Clark and think he will go far in the game.

Still think Ireland should get the armband as he has the potential to influence the game the most. People saying Bent, but what happens when we play the Man Utd's or Man City's of the league and we are getting dominated for large percentages of the game? He may not touch the ball for 5-10 minutes at a time, do you really want you skipper stood on the half way line with his hands on hips not being involved in play?

:D Haha I know, Delphino123, I just got carried away. As I went along I thought I might as well include everyone and then, like you wrote, it turned in to a squad analysis too.

10. Charles N'Zogbia

Think he's someone who needs to concentrate on his game and keeping his toys in his pram. If he was captain he'd probably stage a revolt in the 60th minute

just cause he is french ;)

Â