Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Can't believe people are suggesting Ireland for the captaincy :lol:

55d7f7952de5d982000128024b303e67.jpeg

article-0-0B3FE7CD00000578-853_470x288.jpg

What specifically is contained in those photographs that prevent Stephen Ireland from being captain material?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

Not exactly setting a good example as captain is he?

Ireland should be nowhere near captain anyway.

Too many controversies in his career.

He is just not captain material on the pitch anyway.

Can you imagine Ireland being captain over experienced pros like Dunne and Collins.

What by posing for a photo showing off his abs with his buddies? The shisha pipe thing was ill-advised but it was a once off and no one would have known about it if his girlfriend didn't put it up on Twitter.

People keep going on about these "controversies" without stating what they are. Why is that I wonder? Is it because they don't exist?

The only thing I can think of is the fake grandmothers incident which he explained by saying his girlfriend had a miscarriage. If that's true, and we have no reason to doubt it, then I think he can be excused for dealing with the situation so badly.

As for his refusal to play for Ireland (which as an Irish supporter irks me greatly), it has been suggested that he was getting stick over his hair plugs and the other players actually held him down and forcibly removed them from his head. Again, if this is true I don't think he can be too harshly criticised for deciding to stay away from the setup.

I think it's more than a little ironic that the experienced pros you've cited as preferable candidates, Dunne and Collins, are both known to be fond of pint or ten, and allegedly brought a crate of beer on to the bus while on a mid-season team bonding trip, and then proceeded to get involved in a drunken shouting match with the coaching staff. Collins supposedly smokes cigarettes (not a shisha pipe) every day (not once on a night out with his girlfriend) and as recently as last season was involved in a drunken brawl at a Birmingham night spot.

I don't mean this to be an attack on Dunne and Collins, I actually quite like them both and would love it if they could get back to the form they showed in MON's final season (I know that won't happen), but it angers me the way people have a set opinion of Stephen Ireland and refuse to change their mind.

He was our best player last season and I think it's about time Villa fans give him a break.

what about keeping it with our longest serving player? Wouldn't you think Lambert the new boss, not wanting to piss the whole fan base off, keeps gabby as the captain?

I really don't think that'd piss the whole fan base off.

I'm not sure Ireland deserves a starting position let alone the bloody captaincy

Simply not up to the job

Trying.......................................... not............................. to.................. bite.........................

what about keeping it with our longest serving player? Wouldn't you think Lambert the new boss, not wanting to piss the whole fan base off, keeps gabby as the captain?

I really wouldn't give a shit if Gabby was captain or not, as I think most Villa fans wouldn't. Saying that, it really would be a testament to how fractured and mediocre our squad is if we had to appoint somebody as uninspiring as him. I mean, he works hard and he's a local lad, but a captain he is not.

Dunne/Given/Collins/Clark or even Bent or Herd would be better captain material.

Would like to think if he becomes a regular Clark will get it eventually. But like I said, I don't really care that much who does as long as it isn't a temperamental N'Zogbia type player (which it won't be).

I think the armband will be worn by a few players this season. I don't think they'll stick with one. They'll use the motivation of Petrov and hopefully have a fair few players on the pitch.

I wonder if they'll write a piece in the programme? Or/And if/will Petrov keep a column? Obviously he'll be very busy, maybe will get an account of his progress instead?

I really wouldn't give a shit if Gabby was captain or not, as I think most Villa fans wouldn't. Saying that, it really would be a testament to how fractured and mediocre our squad is if we had to appoint somebody as uninspiring as him. I mean, he works hard and he's a local lad, but a captain he is not.

Dunne/Given/Collins/Clark or even Bent or Herd would be better captain material.

Would like to think if he becomes a regular Clark will get it eventually. But like I said, I don't really care that much who does as long as it isn't a temperamental N'Zogbia type player (which it won't be).

I'm not personally saying i think he'd be the best for the job. I'm trying to think how Lambert might be thinking, new job, new fans, unsure as to how they will react to certain things, he might think for him its best to play it safe for the first few games and keep Gabby as the captain, in fear that if he did change the captaincy he might annoy the villa fans.

I definitely wouldn't be annoyed if he removed it, but i'm just trying to think the way the man who's doing the job is thinking. Cautiousness

We need to buy a captain (if we have not already done so). Not so much because I give a crap who wears the arm band, but we need leaders on the pitch and of these we have too few. The selection from last season is not good enough as was displayed in the many tepid results in a derisory season. The only real candidate is now very sick so we are down to what remained after Petrov was diagnosed. The rest I could not give two hoots about as leaders of men

I'm not personally saying i think he'd be the best for the job. I'm trying to think how Lambert might be thinking, new job, new fans, unsure as to how they will react to certain things, he might think for him its best to play it safe for the first few games and keep Gabby as the captain, in fear that if he did change the captaincy he might annoy the villa fans.

I definitely wouldn't be annoyed if he removed it, but i'm just trying to think the way the man who's doing the job is thinking. Cautiousness

Fair enough. Just don't think anybody else really cares either. It's all down to circumstance really: if Lambert makes a decision even mildly controversial, all of the more say "negative" fans will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is a popular appointment. If McLeish had stripped Gabby of the captaincy, there would be mini-uproar, because of how unpopular he was.

That's why I don't think anybody really minds.

Can't believe people are suggesting Ireland for the captaincy :lol:

55d7f7952de5d982000128024b303e67.jpeg

article-0-0B3FE7CD00000578-853_470x288.jpg

What specifically is contained in those photographs that prevent Stephen Ireland from being captain material?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

Not exactly setting a good example as captain is he?

Ireland should be nowhere near captain anyway.

Too many controversies in his career.

He is just not captain material on the pitch anyway.

Can you imagine Ireland being captain over experienced pros like Dunne and Collins.

None of this answers my question. What specifically in those photographs constitutes "not exactly setting a good example"?

Too many controversies? I don't really agree, but those photographs are completely irrelevant in any case.

I don't think he is right for the captaincy because I have other preferences and I like the captain to be further back in the team and ideally not in the kind of mobile role that Ireland should occupy.

Wearing silly trousers and acting like a bit of a tit with some other guys in a photo has no bearing whatsoever on somebody's ability to captain a football team.

No way should a new player be captain either.

Look at how well that worked with Wolves and Roger Johnson last season...

Really? We're still citing individual examples of failure so as to totally write off a way of doing something? I thought we'd gone beyond that level of simplicity. Wasn't Petrov made captain as soon as we bought him? "Oh but he had played under MON already" etc etc. Round and round and round we go. Where it will stop...

No way should a new player be captain either.

Look at how well that worked with Wolves and Roger Johnson last season...

Really? We're still citing individual examples of failure so as to totally write off a way of doing something? I thought we'd gone beyond that level of simplicity. Wasn't Petrov made captain as soon as we bought him? "Oh but he had played under MON already" etc etc. Round and round and round we go. Where it will stop...

That's not the reason why.

Just an example.

A new player should never be captain.

And when Petrov came Barry was the captain and then Laursen.

Just an example.

Then what is the reason? It can work and it can fail. As can picking someone who is already here. I don't care either way; whether it is a Bent or a Given or someone new. Fact of the matter is we already have a club captain so this 'captain' position should be renamed "bloke who picks heads or tails at the kickoff".

Just an example.

Then what is the reason? It can work and it can fail. As can picking someone who is already here. I don't care either way; whether it is a Bent or a Given or someone new. Fact of the matter is we already have a club captain so this 'captain' position should be renamed "bloke who picks heads or tails at the kickoff".

Because it's disrespectful to the players who are already there.

This new guy waltzes into the club and becomes captain.

It was like when Parker captained England after only 10 caps.

It was disrespectful to Gerrard who has 90 caps.

Â