Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Just wondering who people think will be the captain next season, will it be someone from the existing players or a new signing solely brought in to captain this great club.

To be honest I can't think of anyone that we've got that is decent captain material, I'm against goalkeepers or forwards being the captain so out of our defenders/midfielders I'm really struggling to identify a new leader...

Dunne was the only one I thought off as well but refrained from saying it due to like you say he may not even be here, would it be a problem for the existing players for a complete newcomer to be installed as captain ?

8pints, do you not think a striker is too far forward to be shouting orders etc... or is it just me that thinks defence or midfield is the ideal position to be captain.

Me personally, no, I don't think a striker should be captain, he should, like AVFCforever1991 stated shouldn't have the extra responcibilty and concentrate on scoring goals. Unless they're a rooney type of forward who covers vast areas across the pitch, which Bent obviously isn't

I just wonder with Bent being arguably are 'biggest player' in the sense of reputation, what giving him the captaincy would do?

Would giving him the responcibility tie a man with the reputation of having loyalties to himself and extra incentive to stay at a club?

It'd be interesting if he was captain because his tactics would wholly consist of how everyone could pass him the ball to tap in :D Which may not be a badthing.

I don't see any outstanding candidates in the current squad

So I'm hoping we haven't signed him yet

Highly unlikely I know but I'd like Phil Jagielka in as our marquee signing & captain

We need someone with special qualities, as follows

being able to call "heads" or "tails"

being able to wear an armband

Who could have those skills :detect:

Frankly I'm quite surprised Gabby managed all of that, must have had his concentration face on.

I think Dunne is a terrible candidate for captaincy, he is very quiet on the pitch. I'd hope he isn't here next season, but if he is I still wouldn't have him as captain.

I am of the opinion that a captain should be either, cb or cm...from the current squad there is no stand out player...The only one's who could be captains would be Clarke or Gardner, having both been successful captains at youth and reserve levels...However, neither are guaranteed to start and may be a big ask for younger/less experienced first teamers

I actually cant think of anyone who would be a decent captain.

A lot different from down the years where we had a ton of people who could take the arm band and lead the team.. Mellberg, Laursen, Friedel, Petrov, Barry, Milner, Young, Carew could all do some sort of job. Out of this lot I actually think Bent is up there, for some reason I just dont want Dunne or Collins as captain. Bent or Given for me and maybe Chris Herd in a few years if he does well.

Â