Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

The logic on Ireland seems to be that he isn't as mad or as crap as he used to be and that he might benefit from it. Well none of the players are as mad or as crap as Ireland used to be and they'd all benefit from it. It appears as though it is the absence of reasons not to, rather than any particular reason in favour of it that is making people suggest Ireland. I don't think that's a good enough reason tbh. Bent would be a better captain and would benefit just as much if not more from the position. He's a better pro and more respected in the game, he's a better role-model for the youths, not to mention the seniors. He's a better representative of Aston Villa FC and he's the highest profile player we've got and Lambert has recently been singing his praises. He's the poster boy for AVFC in the squad and there's no reason really that he shouldn't be the captain in the current absence of any other outstanding candidate. That may change as we go into the summer window but as of now I'll take Bent over Ireland by an absolute mile.

I suppose it doesn't matter too much but Bent isn't great at interviews. He speaks quite quickly. Undoubtedly a nice guy though.

Ireland isn't especially confident in front of the mic either. The Cork accent doesn't help. (I'm allowed to say that because I come from a county with a similarly hilarious accent.)

On the other hand, Dunne and Given come across very well in interviews. Given is actually very articulate.

I can't imagine any of our players giving a rousing speech in the dressing room, aside from maybe Given or Collins.

Roy Keane, one of the greatest captains of the PL era, intentionally ended a fellow professional's career.

was a bad tackle but Haaland finished game and played more games after that tackle

Â