Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Ireland is a nut job, I would be shocked if it was Ireland as vice captain as I couldn't think of anyone less suited to the job, not just in Villa, in football. Balotelli maybe (edit: or Barton)..

but Ireland has done things in the public eye and his reputation/attitude has been called into question by many different parties both at club and international level...

I still cant understand where this "Ireland is a nut job" and "his reputation/attitude has been called into question" comes from?

It is quite frankly horse shit!

Wasnt it Stephen Ireland who hired a personal trainer during the off season to maintain/improve his fitness levels for the season ahead?

We have heard numerous times that Stephen Ireland is one of the best trainers at the club (both Man City & with us).

And comparing him to Barton or Balotelli couldnt be any wider of the mark.

it's not horse shit though is it...

remember the grandma fiasco? SGE calling him "stupid"...

what about the fact that he has turned his back on his country? even when Trappatoni offered him an olive branch he through it back in his face...

smoking the shisha pipe?....those pictures were on fan forums everywhere sparking debates about his lifestyle and bad attitude....

i know this forum loves an Ireland love in from time to time and i admit on his day he can be great...

but to say where does this opinion come from is ludicrous and simply ignoring the facts

I don't see why the captaincy is such a big deal in football.

It's not seen as such a big thing in Europe, in fact Italy have always given their captaincy on the matchday to whoever has the most caps in the starting line up.

I think it's because we come from a nation built on cricket, where the captain is the most important player and holds a LOT of the responsibility, with field positions, choosing his bowlers, etc.. For football, that's simply not the case. The captain has very little say on the teams tactics, it's just someone to lead by example and motivate players on the pitch.

Players respond to a good captain in the Premier League, but interesting how the rest of Europe (and most of the world) don't have the same regard for the importance of a captain..

For what it's worth though, I'd give captaincy to Clark. Great way to signal the start of our new era of younger players.

I'd give it to Bent. He's going to score the goals and win us the games. He's one of the senior pros. He has the respect of his teammates. He is the highest profile player in our squad; and arguably the best at what he does in the squad. It might even up his own performances even more. And as Qwpzxjor1 says, it's not that big a deal in reality.

it's not horse shit though is it...

remember the grandma fiasco? SGE calling him "stupid"...

what about the fact that he has turned his back on his country? even when Trappatoni offered him an olive branch he through it back in his face...

smoking the shisha pipe?....those pictures were on fan forums everywhere sparking debates about his lifestyle and bad attitude....

i know this forum loves an Ireland love in from time to time and i admit on his day he can be great...

but to say where does this opinion come from is ludicrous and simply ignoring the facts

The kid was young and maybe he just didnt want the whole world to know that his wife had just misscarried? That is what he said as to why he did it and he has since said it was stupid and a mistake.

Micah Richards, Michael Carrick, Peter Crouch & Ben Foster are a couple that spring to mind that have declared themselves unavailable for selection to the national team. He doesnt want to play for his country, thats his choice...its not a crime is it?

And as for the shisha pipe...your really telling me thats bringing his lifestyle and his attitude into question? :?

It's not against the law and it was outside the season. There are loads of players who smoke, Rooney, Torres, Berbatov, Buffon, Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge, Balotelli...believe it or not, even the great Messi has been caught with a fag in his mouth.

And as for the shisha pipe...your really telling me thats bringing his lifestyle and his attitude into question? :?

i'm not saying it should im saying it did...in response to you saying you have no idea where the attitude thing comes from

those players you mention have declared themselves unavailable when it is clear they wouldn't be getting game time...

Ireland does not play for his country because of a mistake he made when he knows full well he would be a key member of the squad...

anyway clearly our opinions on Ireland are different...

i do not doubt his ability....

however i believe there is a chink in his armour when it comes to attitude and application particularly a consistent one...

you on the other hand believe he has done nothing to question his attitude

furry muff

Thing is he lied about both of his grandmothers dying and then invented a new grandma that also supposedly died when he was caught lying then said his wife had miscarried. There was no proof that his wife miscarried either, why believe it was anything other than another bullshit lie and to lie about the things he did proves my point that the bloke is a nut job, normal people just don't lie about shit like that.

From Wiki

Ireland has now said that he will probably not return to the national team: "I always say 'never say never' because it's hard not to, but I don't think I'll ever go back." In August 2010, he restated that he would not return: "I watch Ireland matches like anyone else might do at this stage, but I don’t feel a part of it at all. It doesn’t make me feel like I should go back play again. That question is gone for me and the answer won’t change my mind."

On 30 March 2012, Ireland suggested that he would be willing to return to international football.

WTF did I just read ?

Justified, how does 'once making a mistake and lying your way out of it' make him a 'nut job', as you call him?

I also don't understand how you came to the conclusion that he's not 'all there' and undependable? :?

Or is that all down to that one mistake that he made yonks ago? :?

As for him being lazy. I don't attend training, but from what I've heard, I think you're completely wrong on that one.

He's often described as the best trainer at the club, and after a period of around 4 months where his performances were questionable, he has tried extremely hard in every game he's played for us.

His personal life aside for the moment, i think the armband could be exactly what is needed to see him produce his best football again.

Not that an armband should be needed for him to do it, but if we can get him back to his best, then Christ, what a player we've got on our hands!!!

So when is smoking a shisha pipe an example of an individual having a bad attitude and questionable lifestyle? Everything in moderation is the key to balance...

There are many footballers who smoke cigarettes i've known a few myself over the years; Joachim Löw permitted his Deutschland team to smoke during the tournament and it is rumoured that Mr. Rooney is quite partial to a smoke or two!

*Please note I do not smoke but I just took issue with the aforesaid ludicrous statement!

Ireland playing international football has nothing to do with his grannies or miscarriages. But rather while away on international duty he was held down by four international team mates and his hair plugs were ripped out of his bleeding scalp, personally can't blame him for not going back.

Â