Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Stephen Ireland for me....without a shadow of doubt.

Make him capatain, fill him full of confidence and let him play his natural game. Wouldnt be at all surprised if Lambert did make him captain and told him "ok...go out there and show me how good you are!"

Im predicting a massive season for Mr. Ireland.

Yes, Ireland would be worth a try. That would be quite a story - condemned as a pariah by Houllier to appointed captain by Lambert within two years.

Just wonder, does he actually communicate a lot with his team mates, encourage them when heads are dropping, etc.? That's the sort we need.

From what I have seen yes he does. Very vocal.

+1

Tbh I was expected a load of abuse for mentioning his name.

Everytime I saw him last season he was always vocal and alwys looked like he gave a shit and looked to really beat him self up when a shot went wide hit the bar etc.. I have also noticed him putting an arm around the younger players during matches and offering words of encouragement.

i reckon ciaran clark is a potential villa captain in future

Yes, the very near future.

In fact, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him given the armband at the start of this season.

Yes, Ireland would be worth a try. That would be quite a story - condemned as a pariah by Houllier to appointed captain by Lambert within two years.

Just wonder, does he actually communicate a lot with his team mates, encourage them when heads are dropping, etc.? That's the sort we need.

+1

Everytime I saw him last season he was always vocal and alwys looked like he gave a shit and looked to really beat him self up when a shot went wide hit the bar etc.. I have also noticed him putting an arm around the younger players during matches and offering words of encouragement.

Not gonna give you any abuse...

but it's a sad state of affairs if Ireland is our best candidate for captain IMO...

I can't think of any attributes he has for the role...

being a captain isn't just about getting annoyed if the team's not playing well or giving a shit....

IMO it should be a player who has the most respect amongst the other players in the squad...someone who will be listened to at all times....

Ireland is not one of those people......

we may all think Dunne is shit and past it..but if lambert deems him good enough to start then he should be streets ahead of Ireland in the captain stakes

Lambert has come out and said that Stan remains the Captain of the Club. Whoever leads out the team on match day depends on who is going to be on the pitch. Until we know who Lambert likes etc we cant really say.

If Im asked who is Villa Captain the answer is Stan Petrov.

+1

but it's a sad state of affairs if Ireland is our best candidate for captain IMO...

being a captain isn't just about getting annoyed if the team's not playing well or giving a shit....

IMO it should be a player who has the most respect amongst the other players in the squad...someone who will be listened to at all times....

we may all think Dunne is shit and past it..but if lambert deems him good enough to start then he should be streets ahead of Ireland in the captain stakes

Couldn't agree more, Sonic Boom Boy.

I don't think that our next team captain even plays for us yet.

Oh you big tease!

Was just a hunch, but I can't see any of the current crop being up to the task at the moment. Could quite easily see a British centre back coming in and taking the captaincy.

I disagree. By this logic, you think that Dunne is highly respected in the squad and that he'll be listened to at all times?

I don't think so. A lot of what we hear is rumours, but we've definatly heard of arguments in the squad/ club with Dunne (team bonding session?)

I think the players will respect someone who is often described as having the 'best technical ability at the club' and someone who tries hard every game and, supposedly, every training session.

Not to mention the fact that Dunne is often quiet on the pitch.

Aside from the obvious (and sometimes pointless) shouts of 'he's lazy', 'he messed around his country', 'he smoked a shisha pipe' & 'he likes flash cars' - I can't see any decent reasons why Ireland wouldn't be a good captain.

He knows the league, he's not a brand new player, he speaks English, he knows the team, he tries hard & on his day he is unbeatable (of course, on days when he's not unbeatable, he might just help spur the team on with his words. But that's what you want from the captain on the pitch).

+1

Is there any evidence to back this up?

I havent seen or heard anything to suggest he is or isn't

Isn't this topic moot being as PL has already stated Petrov remains captain ?

Petrov (get well soon Sir) is 'Captain' in name only.

He's fighting for his life, he's never going to play football again. He may be a spiritual captain for us, but he'll not be wearing the armband again.

We're discussing who might wear the armband this season.

Ireland is a nut job, I would be shocked if it was Ireland as vice captain as I couldn't think of anyone less suited to the job, not just in Villa, in football. Balotelli maybe (edit: or Barton)..

Other than the fact he isn't all there, being lazy and not dependable are good reasons why he will never be captain of a football club.

It will be Dunne or Given for a guess.

IMO opinion Stephen Ireland does not command as much respect in the game of football as Richard Dunne....

to suggest otherwise would be wrong.....

With Dunne we only have rumours to go on...they may be true i don't know...

but Ireland has done things in the public eye and his reputation/attitude has been called into question by many different parties both at club and international level...

Dunnes hasn't and his reputation/respect by other professionals is much much higher...

i just cannot imagine the rest of our squad wanting Ireland in front of them giving a motivational speech rather than Dunne

Â