Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Gerrard barely played all season, and was crap when he did. Parker on the other hand captained Spurs on plenty of occasions in his first season. Not to mention his performances for them in the middle of the park were immense. Stereotypical captain material in your eyes I'm sure. Yet now you're basically saying there has to be a certain number of caps/appearances before you can become captain?

Yes you can't become captain when you've only been there 5 minutes.

You need to have been there for a decent amount of time/have a decent amount of caps.

That's not the reason why.

Just an example.

Then what is the reason? It can work and it can fail. As can picking someone who is already here. I don't care either way; whether it is a Bent or a Given or someone new. Fact of the matter is we already have a club captain so this 'captain' position should be renamed "bloke who picks heads or tails at the kickoff".

Because it's disrespectful to the players who are already there.

This new guy waltzes into the club and becomes captain.

It was like when Parker captained England after only 10 caps.

It was disrespectful to Gerrard who has 90 caps.

I disagree, Gerrard has won 90 caps for England and been utterly shit in about 75 of the games he has played so doesnt deserve the armband.

I think Parker fitted the 'traditional' image of an England captain quite well. Personally, I was pleased it went to him, but that's mainly because I can't stand Steven Gerrard.

Also, out of interest, Boumasbabies, who are you referring to in your sig?

edit: Also, can we have the apostrophe put in the thread title? I know I'm not the only Grammar Nazi on here grumbling under their breath every time they read it. Cheers :lol:

Petrov certainly didnt become captain as soon as he joined.

I would like all the team to be leaders, as in the golden era. Sir Dennis was the captain, but was not massively demonstrative. We had leaders like the two centre backs, Peter Withe especially, Des Bremner, Kenny Swain, Jimmy Rimmer and even Gordon Cowans took control. I wouldnt mind Bent as captain and lead by example so long as he had others helping him out. Know a forward generally is frowned on, but he seems to have the respect of the players and is a team player

I agree Cheltenham_Villa about it needing to be somebody respected by all, the problem is that it leaves Shay Given as the only option in that department IMHO, and I don't think goalkeepers make great captains.

If he stays, I can see it being Dunne (although I hope he's gone by August!).

Slightly off topic but as my old dad says we've not had anyone vocal or inspiriational on the pitch in many years; so who was the last captain that lead with heart on his sleeve and wasnt a modern mute?

HEAP

Post subject: Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 02:12 AM

Academy

Slightly off topic but as my old dad says we've not had anyone vocal or inspiriational on the pitch in many years; so who was the last captain that lead with heart on his sleeve and wasnt a modern mute?

I liked Martin Laursen and Olof Mellberg as captain.

most important thing for the captain is that he is a starter every week. with our squad at the moment, there are very few, if any, that we can say fall into that category.

what we need to see is how PL develops the team and who that starting XI is going to be.

Once we have a view on that, then the next question, is which of those players best leads the team.

Stan was not the best player on the team, or the most expensive, or the most high profile, but he enbodied the spirit of the team and led by example. that is what you want in a captain. as such, i don't think its DB9, gabby, zoggy or shay.

To me, if he is a regular starter, then richard dunne is the player on the pitch best suited to be captain. always putting his body on the line and giving 100%. its no coincidence that CBs or midfield enforcers are often captains in the team. Their role is such that they are going to be in the thick of things knocking other teams up in the air, which is the easiest way to inspire those around you.

Ciaran will be a great captain, as he was in the reserves, but he is not yet sufficiently established in the team to take on that role. If he can make a position his own, whether CB or holding midfielder for a season, then he will be well placed as a captain in the future. GG is similar to ciaran, but a couple of years behind. Either would do the job well once they have established themselves in the team.

As for stevie ireland, I think two things work against him:

- he has not sufficiently established himself in the team yet. I can't hand on heart say he'll be with us next season, or that he will be in our starting midfield.

- whether or not people believe they are relevant, SI's off-field press since joining villa has been plentiful and has not been, on balance, more positive for the club than negative. as such, i would preclude him as captain, unless he was the standout candidate on the pitch, which i don't think he is...

Â