Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Ireland or Given

Ireland is a great shout. Would do absolute wonders for his confidence to have so much faith placed in him.

From everything I hear about his ability in training, that he's actually a nice guy as well and following his performances last season I've no doubt Lambert will try and build the attack around him and Bent.

No doubt at all. Quote me on it.

Yes, Ireland would be worth a try. That would be quite a story - condemned as a pariah by Houllier to appointed captain by Lambert within two years.

Just wonder, does he actually communicate a lot with his team mates, encourage them when heads are dropping, etc.? That's the sort we need.

As Blandy says, a captain has to shake hands with the referee and call the toss of a coin.

Petrov is still the captain, so the bloke who happens to have an armband on while the match is happening is fairly inconsequential. Considering Lambert's propensity to rotate I expect we'll see a variety of players have a go at it.

Yes, Ireland would be worth a try. That would be quite a story - condemned as a pariah by Houllier to appointed captain by Lambert within two years.

Just wonder, does he actually communicate a lot with his team mates, encourage them when heads are dropping, etc.? That's the sort we need.

From what I have seen yes he does. Very vocal.

probably be bent or collins this weekend. Would like to see clark get 45 with it

its only an armband, its not going to make Clark into roy keane in 45 minutes.

leaders shouldnt be designated

It's quite embarrassing that we have no leaders left.

Someone said earlier they didn't like keepers as captains- tell that to the two European finalists. Given has bags of experience but can't even organise his own defence most of the time. Esp. At set pieces.

Ireland is a good shout, might mature the boy. Lead by example.

should be Makoun ;)

I cant see it being someone new.. they wont know the side.. they have to settle in the Premier League.. unless its Frank Lampard or someone with Premier League experience and match experience who is a natural leader. I cant see it.

Darren Bent has enough pressure to score the goals. Karim El Ahmadi could be a future leader for us.. depending on how he gets along/respect of the players. Its hard for us from an external point of view to pick a captain.

Formally i assume we wont announce one as Petrov is the official club captain?

Yeah, I'd imagine the same as you KSV, Petrov will be the official club captain and there may be various vice-captains taking on the role for the ninety minutes.

Will Petrov still write a piece in the programme? I imagine not, I wonder if the captain on the pitch will write a column?

Â