Next Seasons Captain

LeafyVilla

Does it really matter?

There should be leaders all over over the pitch. I played to a decent county standard as a youngster and as the gobbier of the 2 full backs it was my job to look along the line and keep the defence organised. The keeper would keep me on my toes and pick up on anything I had missed, and the actaul captain was a CM who kept the midfield ticking.

My point being if you need to rely on one player to rally the troops or keep things organised then you're in trouble already.

Sometimes the captaincy can be a form of man management, I'm fairly sure AMc gave gabby the arm band to try and spark so performances out of him in the run in to the end of the season, it didn't work but that prob says more about the mood of the whole squad than it does about gabby.

As some have said perhaps giving it to Ireland might have a positive impact on his game, because at the professional level you'd expect everyone on the pitch to be vocal when it's needed.

Does it really matter?

There should be leaders all over over the pitch. I played to a decent county standard as a youngster and as the gobbier of the 2 full backs it was my job to look along the line and keep the defence organised. The keeper would keep me on my toes and pick up on anything I had missed, and the actaul captain was a CM who kept the midfield ticking.

My point being if you need to rely on one player to rally the troops or keep things organised then you're in trouble already.

Sometimes the captaincy can be a form of man management, I'm fairly sure AMc gave gabby the arm band to try and spark so performances out of him in the run in to the end of the season, it didn't work but that prob says more about the mood of the whole squad than it does about gabby.

As some have said perhaps giving it to Ireland might have a positive impact on his game, because at the professional level you'd expect everyone on the pitch to be vocal when it's needed.

100000000000000000%. form me captain armband is just symbolic would ratehr 7 or 8 vocal leaders in squad look at United or Chelsea for example

only in England is captaincy seen as important, most clubs in Europe just appoint longest serving player

League Appearances for AVFC

Agbonlahor - 216

Petrov - 186

Dunne - 95

Collins - 91

Warnock - 84

Albrighton - 58

Bannan - 40

Bent - 38

Clark - 35

Ireland - 34

Given - 32

Hutton - 31

Delfouneso - 30

N'Zogbia - 30

Delph - 26

Herd - 25

Lichaj - 15

Weimann - 15

Gardner - 14

Baker - 12

Makoun - 12

Carruthers - 3

Marshall - 0

Stevens - 0

Holman - 0

El Ahmadi - 0

Lowton - 0

Gabby it is then :)

Can't believe people are suggesting Ireland for the captaincy :lol:

55d7f7952de5d982000128024b303e67.jpeg

article-0-0B3FE7CD00000578-853_470x288.jpg

What specifically is contained in those photographs that prevent Stephen Ireland from being captain material?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

only in England is captaincy seen as important, most clubs in Europe just appoint longest serving player

Agbonlahor - 216

Petrov - 186

Dunne - 95

Collins - 91

Warnock - 84

Albrighton - 58

Bannan - 40

Bent - 38

Clark - 35

Ireland - 34

Given - 32

Hutton - 31

Delfouneso - 30

N'Zogbia - 30

Delph - 26

Herd - 25

Lichaj - 15

Weimann - 15

Gardner - 14

Baker - 12

Makoun - 12

Carruthers - 3

Marshall - 0

Stevens - 0

Holman - 0

El Ahmadi - 0

Lowton - 0

Gabby isn't leadership material. I'd go for Dunne as Petrov, sadly, won't be featuring. I'd imagine you'll have a problem with Dunne as captain.

Agbonlahor - 216

Petrov - 186

Dunne - 95

Collins - 91

Warnock - 84

Albrighton - 58

Bannan - 40

Bent - 38

Clark - 35

Ireland - 34

Given - 32

Hutton - 31

Delfouneso - 30

N'Zogbia - 30

Delph - 26

Herd - 25

Lichaj - 15

Weimann - 15

Gardner - 14

Baker - 12

Makoun - 12

Carruthers - 3

Marshall - 0

Stevens - 0

Holman - 0

El Ahmadi - 0

Lowton - 0

Wow, look at that list.

If we sell Dunne, Collins and Warnock like a number are calling for Albrighton will actually be our second longest serving player.

No wonder we are so shit, we have no settled spine in the side.

Can't believe people are suggesting Ireland for the captaincy :lol:

55d7f7952de5d982000128024b303e67.jpeg

article-0-0B3FE7CD00000578-853_470x288.jpg

What specifically is contained in those photographs that prevent Stephen Ireland from being captain material?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

Not exactly setting a good example as captain is he?

Ireland should be nowhere near captain anyway.

Too many controversies in his career.

He is just not captain material on the pitch anyway.

Can you imagine Ireland being captain over experienced pros like Dunne and Collins.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he does either.

It will be Given or Dunne.

what about keeping it with our longest serving player? Wouldn't you think Lambert the new boss, not wanting to piss the whole fan base off, keeps gabby as the captain?

I don't see any reason why Ireland doesn't deserve the captaincy.

How can Ireland deserve the captaincy after 1 good season? :lol:

This is the guy who described Birmingham as a crap city and you want him to be captain of Birmingham's biggest club?

Not that I have anything against Ireland but I don't know why everyone thinks he suddenly deserves this honour.

If anyone deserves the captaincy it is Gabby - Birmingham born and bred, a Villa fan, 252 appearances for Villa, 61 goals for Villa, our longest serving player, loves the club, scored numerous winners against Small Heath in the Second City derby...

Agbonlahor - 216

Petrov - 186

Dunne - 95

Collins - 91

Warnock - 84

Albrighton - 58

Bannan - 40

Bent - 38

Clark - 35

Ireland - 34

Given - 32

Hutton - 31

Delfouneso - 30

N'Zogbia - 30

Delph - 26

Herd - 25

Lichaj - 15

Weimann - 15

Gardner - 14

Baker - 12

Makoun - 12

Carruthers - 3

Marshall - 0

Stevens - 0

Holman - 0

El Ahmadi - 0

Lowton - 0

Gabby isn't leadership material. I'd go for Dunne as Petrov, sadly, won't be featuring. I'd imagine you'll have a problem with Dunne as captain.

Nope. Dunne is an experienced player who has been at Villa for a decent amount of time now.

Â