General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

According to Transfermarkt.com

He is contracted til 2015 and his market value is £2.6m or 3m Euro's. Genk could push the price up to 4m maybe 5 tops and with that he would be a bloody good signing... gone about business quietly 108 games and 42 goals in total in his career!

Cool. It's got to be better than spunking 15m on a British player.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Benteke rumour is just that, a rumour. It's all come from the website that started this whole "unknown player at training ground"

Someone in the comments said

His name is Christian Benteke, 21 year old from Genk, he is a forward and been capped for Belgian u21′s – the other player on his way is Cresswell of Ipswich. The two players will b bought by Randys personal money – no more players coming in till Hutton and Warnock leave the club = FACT

He then wrote

My mate works in the villa finance = extremely realiable – Lambert was on a sell to buy policy, Randy was at the game and has agreed to these two signings to support Lambert. He scored 18 goals in 33 games last season for Genk so let’s see what he is like UTV!!

Can't see nothing in this.

The Benteke rumour is just that, a rumour. It's all come from the website that started this whole "unknown player at training ground"

His name is Christian Benteke, 21 year old from Genk, he is a forward and been capped for Belgian u21′s – the other player on his way is Cresswell of Ipswich. The two players will b bought by Randys personal money – no more players coming in till Hutton and Warnock leave the club = FACT

He then wrote

My mate works in the villa finance = extremely realiable – Lambert was on a sell to buy policy, Randy was at the game and has agreed to these two signings to support Lambert. He scored 18 goals in 33 games last season for Genk so let’s see what he is like UTV!!

Double negative there, so it's all true then! :winkold:

Creswell and benteke? Hmmm if there was someone more credibler with this news I would have believed it but begs the question how the hell does he know so much? I reckon we will all be thoroughly dissapointed, wasn't creswell priced too high?

Fun as this thread is, there's a sobering undertone to the whole thing:

while the likes of West Ham, QPR and Sunderland are spending big money on players and wages, we're treading water, bringing in bargain bucket signings and expecting to be able to compete.

If Lerner continues down this 'wage cutting' road with one in and one out while all the other teams improve, we'll be in the Championship before long.

It's a serious situation and although it's fun to speculate on an unknown black hand, the truth is that we're sinking like a stone in the 'money talks' world of modern football.

Sorry to be such as pessimist - I know that Moyes is making it work at Everton doing the same, but I'm not sure our squad is as good as his!

Spending big =/= acquiring quality. Vlaar and KEA for example may be "bargain bucket" signings but they appear to be just as capable as many of the big-money British players that are going around at the moment.

This is what we all wanted to see isn't it? Scouting further afield (lower leagues and abroad) to acquire good players but for less money. Obviously we'd all like more signings but I see nothing wrong with looking for both quality and value. Spunking loads of money on already "established" players is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Its about like the argument of playing styles:-

You can't always play the passing the game

Sometimes the long ball work

You need the odd clogger in your team

You can't build a team purley from bargains, just like you can't build one from academy kids - or for that matter a whole team of big time charlies !

Its early days and Lambert appears to have got some good players in for nominal fees - however that good work will be undone unless we sometimes play the going rate - ie £7m for Philips, £6m Cresswell etc

UTV

He then wrote

Those two would make me pretty happy actually.

while the likes of West Ham, QPR and Sunderland are spending big money on players and wages, we're treading water, bringing in bargain bucket signings and expecting to be able to compete.

If Lerner continues down this 'wage cutting' road with one in and one out while all the other teams improve, we'll be in the Championship before long.

It's a serious situation and although it's fun to speculate on an unknown black hand, the truth is that we're sinking like a stone in the 'money talks' world of modern football.

Sorry to be such as pessimist - I know that Moyes is making it work at Everton doing the same, but I'm not sure our squad is as good as his!

Spending big =/= acquiring quality. Vlaar and KEA for example may be "bargain bucket" signings but they appear to be just as capable as many of the big-money British players that are going around at the moment.

This is what we all wanted to see isn't it? Scouting further afield (lower leagues and abroad) to acquire good players but for less money. Obviously we'd all like more signings but I see nothing wrong with looking for both quality and value. Spunking loads of money on already "established" players is what got us into this mess in the first place.

You can't build a team purley from bargains, just like you can't build one from academy kids - or for that matter a whole team of big time charlies !

Its early days and Lambert appears to have got some good players in for nominal fees - however that good work will be undone unless we sometimes play the going rate - ie £7m for Philips, £6m Cresswell etc

UTV

To me a price is just a number it doesn't dictate quality in most cases. Yes in cases with players like Messi and Ronaldo then the price does dictate quality, but the players we are looking at it's easy to overpay.

I mean Benteke, he's valued at what £2.5 million does that mean we are bargain buying? Benteke is better than Carroll, should we buy Carroll just so we didn't buy a player for less than £5 million? I'll be happy if Creswell is the only player we buy for the going rate as it means we did some smart deals, deals that may actually end in us making a profit when they move on in a few years.

UTV

To me a price is just a number it doesn't dictate quality in most cases. Yes in cases with players like Messi and Ronaldo then the price does dictate quality, but the players we are looking at it's easy to overpay.

I mean Benteke, he's valued at what £2.5 million does that mean we are bargain buying? Benteke is better than Carroll, should we buy Carroll just so we didn't buy a player for less than £5 million? I'll be happy if Creswell is the only player we buy for the going rate as it means we did some smart deals, deals that may actually end in us making a profit when they move on in a few years.

I agree - but lets say Lambert build a top six club - with signings costing no more than £5m - if he then feels the final piece in the jigsaw is player xxxxx - but his club won't budge on less than £17m - and other clubs are interested....I would hope we would complete the deal...

Hi there folks.

Just a quick one Christian Benteke from Jupiler League club KRC Genk. The image below is from Genks facebook site and the text reads "Players and staff arrived this afternoon on Swiss soil. Take a look at the photo shoot ...."

GCJyH.jpg

This was posted 6 hours ago. Small window to travel to BMH eh? It's possible of course but maybe not so likely? You be the judge.