General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question guys, I know El Ahmadi, but who are the other new signings in the background?

0,,10265~11037287,00.jpg

They don't look particularly mobile, but I think they could do a job defending corners and freekicks

Don't think much of the away kit

So he appoints houllier and Mcleish and I have to respect him because he got this one right? So next time Heskey scores we have to respect him for finally doing his job? Ridiculous comment and just shows the blind love shown to Lerner.

We have spent some money but look at the money that's been brought back in through player sales.

If you can only respect owners that spunk cash up the wall, may i suggest you turn to Man City ? RL made some mistakes in his choices of manager the last two times, that's not that unusual, every chairmen at every club has made mistakes. The fact is RL also made the mistake of giving MON a free reign, and as a result of the team not meeting their goals, we've seen some seasons where cost cutting has been required. What would you prefer, that the club continued to overspend and ended up like Rangers or Potrsmouth ?

For me, we failed to get into the champions league because of one man, and that man is MON, had he bought a goalscorer in the january when he paid £3M for Heskey and we were in the top 4, things might have been different, but he didn't, and as result we didn't get the additional income that Champions League Football would have brought, and so the cost cutting began.

Bleet all you like about Houllier (who i actually think would have been good for us long term), and McLeish, but don't question RL's commitment to Aston Villa, as i see absolutely no evidence to support that.

Oh, and as far as Doug is concerned, this is the man who employed Graham Turner, and sacked him only to replace him with Billy McNeil, so i don't think there's any need to compare RL to Doug at all.

Agreed but even with all that investment what came out of it. Did we win anything? Maybe Mr Lerner sees that cutting back and changing attitudes may win us something. The defector sacrificed Europe for champs league and we all know how that went.

I feel that after the yank trip. Lambo will get a few more in and once the deadwood are shipped out will get more investment to build a better more successful club than the defector could have ever dreamed of.

I don't think it was realistic for a net spend on transfers of around 70 - 80 mill over 4 years to expect to get a club from 16h to any higher than 6th. During the three years we finished 6th we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill. I therefore think given the amount we spent and the fact we had no higher than the sixth highest wage bill then a 6th place finish was about as much as we could expect. We certainly didn't spend enough to expect to finish above Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and after 2009 Man City.

I don't care who the manager is, and I rate Lambert very highly, but we are not going to again become a consistent top 6 side without substantial investment and again having a wage bill that reflects a club finishing in the top 6. As said previously you may get the odd season of success, you may as any club can with a little bit of luck along the way win a cup, but you will not maintain it without the right level of investment and accept that you will have to have one of the top half dozen wage bills in the country if you want to mix it amongst the top 6 season after season.

What about the net spends of Everton? Newcastle? Clubs who have financial restrictions and performed very well last year, Moyes even got 4th one year, was his wage bill 4th highest in the league? Newcastle came within a whisker last year of finishing ahead of both Arsenal & Tottenham & managed to finish ahead of Chelsea & Liverpool. What was their wage budget? Now look at the other end of the spectrum, had all 3 relegated teams the lowest wage budgets and net spends in the Premiership? I'd sincerely doubt it. Had we the 16th lowest wage bill? No we didnt what we did have was a shit manager, along with the rest of the other teams that went down. (Coyle a possible exception, was unlucky with injuries.) Look at Arsenals net spend, they have spent less money on players than they have received since the Premiership. Produced some very good players, and bought some ridiculous bargains, what was RVP £3.75mil. Spending money by no means guarentees success.

Out of our current squad, I'd happily see sold (as long as they were replaced a.s.a.p):

Hutton

Warnock

Dunne

Collins

Delph

Bannan

Delfouneso

I reckon we could fetch about 20-25 mil for them (average 3 - 3.5 mil per player), and they would free up a shedload of wages. I'd then spend that money, plus whatever extra Randy is willing to invest, on 3 CBs, a LB, and a CM (average 4 - 4.5 mil per player).

...Giving us the fairly decent hypothetical new squad of:

Given

(Guzan?)

Marshall

New LB

New CB

New CB

New CB

Clark

Baker

Lichaj

Lowton

Stevens

El Ahmadi

New CM

Ireland

Holman

Gardner

Herd

Albrighton

Ireland

Carruthers

Johnson

Bent

Agbonlahor

N'Zogbia

Weimann

Burke

^ especially when the early indications are that theres not too much to spend and we're looking in the bargain basement.

And those two conclusions are based on what?

^ especially when the early indications are that theres not too much to spend and we're looking in the bargain basement.

And those two conclusions are based on what?

The gospel according to James Nursey.

The gospel according to James Nursey.

A heavily heavily editorialised version of the gospel. We're not 'in the bargain basement'. £3m on a league one fullback? Is that not fairly decent money for one of them? And the string puller in midfield from runner-up in the Eredivisie? Pretty good I'd have thought. Early indications from me are that we've done well and we're less than 2 weeks into the window. I expect PL will know a helluva lot more when he comes back from America and it'll kick on from there :thumb:

Quick question guys, I know El Ahmadi, but who are the other new signings in the background?

0,,10265~11037287,00.jpg

They don't look particularly mobile, but I think they could do a job defending corners and freekicks

Surprised you don't recognise them, they're pretty well known.

From left to right, Homer, Marge, Bart, Maggie, Lisa

0,,10265~11037287,00.jpg

Surprised you don't recognise them, they're pretty well known.

From left to right, Homer, Marge, Bart, Maggie, Lisa

Ah....I thought McNally had sent the boys around to give Lambert a going over.

Out of our current squad, I'd happily see sold (as long as they were replaced a.s.a.p):

Hutton

Warnock

Dunne

Collins

Delph

Bannan

Delfouneso

I reckon we could fetch about 20-25 mil for them (average 3 - 3.5 mil per player), and they would free up a shedload of wages. I'd then spend that money, plus whatever extra Randy is willing to invest, on 3 CBs, a LB, and a CM (average 4 - 4.5 mil per player).

...Giving us the fairly decent hypothetical new squad of:

Given

(Guzan?)

Marshall

New LB

New CB

New CB

New CB

Clark

Baker

Lichaj

Lowton

Stevens

El Ahmadi

New CM

Ireland

Holman

Gardner

Herd

Albrighton

Ireland

Carruthers

Johnson

Bent

Agbonlahor

N'Zogbia

Weimann

Burke

I'd keep Dunne and Bannan, personally, but the rest can go. You've also left Makoun out of that equation. I'm kind of ambivalent about him really. I think there's probably a decent player in there somewhere but if we can get £5-6m for him it might not be bad business.

We definitely need at least two, maybe three quality players across the back. And I'd sign one more AM/FW/ST (assuming El Ahmadi will hold).

Say we pulled in £3m each for Hutton, Warnock, Collins, Delph and Delfouneso, so £15m. That would just about cover 3-4 OK players. Add another £6-10m investment from Randy (maybe including Makoun money) and the quality could go up that extra notch.

If so we could end up with a half decent squad.