Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

I'm delighted people are coming around to how good he has been. The general beat-up pre the Arsenal game from some quarters was ridiculous considering his MotM performance against Crewe. Ironically a lot of the people bagging him cited how poor he was in pre-season. I swear some people don't watch the games critically or wouldn't know football if it gave them an uppercut. 

Ironically you said this about Fabian Delph March 11th:

"Hahaha. Sideways/Backwards passer who can't dribble for shit as he has the touch of a baby elephant at times. I love how he is become a revelation for some fans playing "better" than he has and we still lose" 

I've said recently he's improved, possibly more than any other player in the team, and has been the part of our strong showing with the other 2 midfielders. If in that earlier statement I am guilty of being overly critical, while I do think he's massively improved in those areas mentioned, he is still guilty of those traits at times. My main argument has been the lack of credit + unfair criticism of KEA being disproportionate to the praise heaped on Delph. FWIW I think KEA is superior at picking a pass and moving into space.

Edited by Kiwivillan

People might not have been negative about KEA after the season started, but in the build up to the season, many were mentioning him as a player to be sold.

I thought he'd be kept up as a squad player, at least (mainly because I don't think Lambert would admit he bought a dud after one season).

Always rated KEA, though it did take him a while to find his feet. I always thought he was one of our better movers in midfield - after passing he would immediately move to a position ready for a return pass. Case in point:

move.gif

Wonderful goal. Unsurprising that, imo,  2 of our harder working players (KEA and Wiemann) have the most touches in the lead up to the goal. Notice how KEA moves to receive the ball, keeps possession, lays off a simple pass and then puts himself in space, giving an option to the last person he passed to and, if nothing else, dragging defenders with him

Class.

• Like 1

I'm delighted people are coming around to how good he has been. The general beat-up pre the Arsenal game from some quarters was ridiculous considering his MotM performance against Crewe. Ironically a lot of the people bagging him cited how poor he was in pre-season. I swear some people don't watch the games critically or wouldn't know football if it gave them an uppercut. 

Ironically you said this about Fabian Delph March 11th:

"Hahaha. Sideways/Backwards passer who can't dribble for shit as he has the touch of a baby elephant at times. I love how he is become a revelation for some fans playing "better" than he has and we still lose" 

I've said recently he's improved, possibly more than any other player in the team, and has been the part of our strong showing with the other 2 midfielders. If in that earlier statement I am guilty of being overly critical, while I do think he's massively improved in those areas mentioned, he is still guilty of those traits at times. My main argument has been the lack of credit + unfair criticism of KEA being disproportionate to the praise heaped on Delph. FWIW I think KEA is superior at picking a pass and moving into space.

It's just ironical that you criticizes peoples ability to judge a player when you're not much better yourself.

Don't get me wrong, every praise KEA are getting is justified. Personally I was disappointed and surprised he was left out of the Liverpool game. I was also glad to see him in the startup versus Arsenal seeing that he had a strong pre-season.

My impression was that this was the general opinion on Villatalk as well, a lot of posters complimented him for his pre-season performance So I don't get where this "I said he was good when everyone else said he was bad" is coming from.

I've always thought of him as a direct replacement to Petrov or to be our next Petrov if you like, and just as him he needed time to adapt, as we're now seeing that he's doing just that. Some players never turn out to be what we expect them to be while others ends up being more then we expected, or just what we expected. You never really know, Therefore I try to see the best in our players and support them, which at times I end up being horrible wrong i.e Barry Bannan and Steven Ireland but luckily I end up being right at times as well. I don't understand our constant need to be point scoring over it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I am not sure on Ahmadi and if he is good enough to be playing any more than a bit part in the Prem. He was crap last season and although he started well this season today he was dire.

I am not sure what he offers either going forward or defensively. Lambert should now throw Sylla in who can at least do a job protecting the back 4

El Ahmadi will be 29 soon and I can't see him improving enough to cut it week in week out at this level.

Edited by markavfc40

Wait...so a bad performance (along with everyone else) against Newcastle negates his good performances against Arsenal and Chelsea?

I am not sue what he offers either going forward or defensively. Lambert should now throw Sylla in who can at least do a job protecting the back 4

This would surely apply to Westwood also. In fact, Westwood occupies the DM role, so if you're looking to blame anybody for not protecting the defence it should be him.

• Like 3

I think he makes Berbatov look like an energetic player

His off the ball work is woeful i've never seen him bust a gut or move through the gears to make a run or latch onto the ball

I keep hearing he's this creative player with a great range of passing which is good but he needs to work hard and fight this is the Premier League he's not in Holland anymore

Compared with the likes of Cabaye the weekend who was both creative and hardworking it really was chalk and cheese

Some balance needed here methinks.

He had a good start to the season and fully justified his place against Newcastle.

Weimann & Lowton were equally as poor (if not worse) in that particular game, but there's no mad rush to have them dropped from the side. KEA can still be a very useful player for us, he just needs to re-discover the workrate that made him invaluable against Arsenal.

That said, I can see a case for bringing Sylla in. Though I wouldn't go holding your breath because, for whatever reason, he seems to be bang out of favour at the minute.

Edited by Shillzz

Lowton needs a rest? We've just come back from an international break where he was not called up.

Agree.

It's the start of the season, he's just had 3 weeks off, and we have no decent alternative. He won't be getting a rest anytime soon.

Lowton needs a rest? We've just come back from an international break where he was not called up.

Yes one game in three weeks must be totally exhausting.

What he needs is more game to get him up to scratch!

Edited by PaulC

Agree.

It's the start of the season, he's just had 3 weeks off, and we have no decent alternative. He won't be getting a rest anytime soon.

I think he needs to play himself back into form - as do a lot of our players.   We have had a really disjointed start to the season meaning we haven't been able to settle as a team and get into our stride yet.  It might be a couple of games yet until we see the likes of Lowton hit their stride.

Â