Euro 2012: Group D (Eng, Fra, Ukr, Swe)

TrentVilla

All in all a weird night. We were crap, defended terribly; Terry exposed for pace time after time, a predictable plan with crosses onto Carroll's head and really, a lucky substitution with Theo Walcott, who we all know isn't very good, generally. However, it's just England, isn't it? There's something fantastically exhilarating about them. Can't knock the spirit, which we all wanted the players to show, at the very least - good on Roy. Superb night in the Prince in Moseley.

It's really important that we beat Ukraine well (not likely to happen, being England) and finish top, as second place will likely have to play Spain. I'm not really of the opinion that 'you have to beat the best to win it, eventually'. You wanna play the easier games as possible and progress as far as you can, growing into the tournament. Anything can happen from Semi's onwards.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Walcott is probably in the best form of his career at the moment, he finished the season very strongly for Arsenal.

Its probably no coincidence that the emergence of Oxlade Chamberlain has seen Theo start to play better, its the kick up the arse he so badly needed. He isnt the most skillful player out there but he can play a bit and he has the athletic ability to dominate in lots of games. He just appears to be one of those players who needs the stick rather than the carrot to get the best out of him. An immensely frustrating individual who will show flashes of brilliance combined with lots of games where he looks like he just doesnt care. Ultimately he will probably be remembered as an enigma like Stan Collymore or Dalian Atkinson, but lets hope not eh?

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. Theo has shown that he can change games, single handedly. Whether he can start games for England and impose himself, only time will tell. I think he can, but not sure if he ever will, if that makes sense. I sort of like this England team though, the resilience that they have, it shines off them, it appears to be quite a spirited unit and hopefully something that the rest of the world might also be seeing.

Great cross from Walcott, but no WAY did Wellbeck mean that finish.

Walcott comes across well in interviews, more articulate than the average footballer.

I wonder if Mellberg has any idea of how much we Villa fans still love him?

I disagree about Wellbeck. Of course he meant for that to go in the net. What else would he be doing there?

Ashley Young has played absolutely shite in both games so far!

Mellberg is having a great tournament. Yes, Sweden have lost both games and yes, his poor marking has lead to them conceding goals BUT some of the tackles he has been putting in have been superb!

I can't see Ukraine causing too many problems, especially with Rooney now back in. I'd drop Young and play Walcott. I think Hodgson will keep the same team except Rooney in for Carroll though. Milner should keep his place because of his defensive work rate. Also, I'm not a big fan of Glen Johnson but apart from some dodgy passes he's done alright. Made some very important tackles.

I don't know why but I can see France struggling to beat Sweden. I reckon it might be a draw. I don't think we'll hammer Ukraine but top spot is definitely there for the taking. If we managed to avoid Spain I'd definitely back us to just about sneak it against Italy or Croatia!

Wellbeck tried to control that ball and just got lucky

Was loving it when it was England 1-2 Mellberg

I really couldn't give a **** about the England team purely down to the bellends wearing the jersey

I really couldn't give a **** about the England team purely down to the bellends wearing the jersey

Strange, and yet you're English and have an avatar proclaiming your support for the England team.

I enjoyed that game last night, even though I was wearing my Sweden shirt in a rammed London pub :P It was just one of those enjoyable games where the lead changed back and forth and the atmosphere was good natured.

I think Ukraine will be a tough game for England on Tuesday. They are at home and need a result now.

God, i'm so glad i'm never anywhere near you in real life. Jesus christ.....

And I loved last night! Such a great atmosphere... I love football, I love the Euros, I love England, I love being in the pub watching us win.

Fantastic evening!

I don't really consider myself much of an England fan, I don't have that natural cheer burst out of me when they score like Villa do.

But I did enjoy Welbeck's winner I must say.

Gerrard...whip.

To be fair I think a skill a fair few young footballers could do but not many would try, certainly sturridge I'd guess could do it, for some reason I seem to remember Carew trying it a lot and it not working

So then you see some bollocks from the usually good Henry winter naming the coach at utd who taught him the trick and you can't help but think it's been blown out of proportion

Did he mean it? IMO yes, was it a good goal? Certainly, was it a mind glowingly good goal that excused the fact that up until then he'd been very poor but now is the answer to englands future? Hell no

^ I agree, Adrian Durham on talksport was saying it was one for the greatest ever England goals..

Anyway fair play to Roy. I like him and really want him to do well but can't help feeling that as soon as things go wrong the media are going to jump on him and rip him to shreds because he aint Harry

To be fair I think a skill a fair few young footballers could do but not many would try, certainly sturridge I'd guess could do it, for some reason I seem to remember Carew trying it a lot and it not working

So then you see some bollocks from the usually good Henry winter naming the coach at utd who taught him the trick and you can't help but think it's been blown out of proportion

Did he mean it? IMO yes, was it a good goal? Certainly, was it a mind glowingly good goal that excused the fact that up until then he'd been very poor but now is the answer to englands future? Hell no

Come on, you're being harsh he wasn't poor just very quiet, hardly got on the ball at all.

Young was shocking though.

the bellends wearing the jersey

You do know a lot of them are no longer in the team, right? Against Sweden, Terry, Cole and Gerrard were the only members of the Old Guard left in the first 11.

Give the newer faces like Hart, Welbeck, AOC etc a chance to prove themselves, I don't think it's fair to write them off as words removed so early in their international careers. Don't unfairly stereotype them because of the shenanigans of the previous generation.

Children shouldn't bear the sins of their fathers, etc etc.

Â