No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that people want the element of risk and of excitment after two years of boredom and going backwards but seriously we cannot have failure now . If OGS is appointed and fails we have relegation, if he succeeds we have higher mid table.

If Lambert is appointed and fails we finish no lower than we did last season IMO. He succeeds and we have higher mid table or even higher.

At this stage in the club's "development" we do not need another Graham Turner. We need another Graham Taylor mark 1 to come in and sort out the mess and build the club up again. It may be boring for some, but IMO Lambert gives us that GTMK1 solution

That's ridiculous. We could have relegation with either of them, and I certainly think that OGS could reap bigger rewards (although he's a bigger risk).

I know Lambert wouldn't be a bad appointment but I'd be bitterly disappointed if we passed up the opportunity to get OGS and got him instead.

With me its the other way around. But i can see why people like the thought of OGS.

Just think with the mess we are in at the moment with the squad lambert would be the better option.

Same here.

I'd still be more than happy with OGS.

But Lambert remains my number 1 choice. I'd be thrilled with him.

At this stage in the club's "development" we do not need another Graham Turner. We need another Graham Taylor mark 1 to come in and sort out the mess and build the club up again. It may be boring for some, but IMO Lambert gives us that GTMK1 solution

whilst I agree with that, Lambert seems to be somewhat of a job-hopper - Wycombe to Colchester to Norwich to possibly Villa fairly quickly

I am not a regular poster, but I haven't been so obsessed by a thread since the arrival of Darren Bent!

For what its worth, I really want OGS as our next manager and I will honestly be deflated, even with PL, if its anyone else!

UTV

You're only 3 posts off 1000, that's not bad going :lol:

I'm the same with OGS now. I wasn't all that bothered by him at first, but after watching those youtube videos, I'm really excited by the prospect.

I know Lambert wouldn't be a bad appointment but I'd be bitterly disappointed if we passed up the opportunity to get OGS and got him instead.

Lamberts record so far is outstanding.

I cannot see how any unbiased person with any knowledge of football would rate OGS higher than Paul Lambert. It’s illogical.

spock.jpg

Richard is spot on. Lambert is the ideal choice for where we are at now.

If it is to be Solskjaer so be it I'll back him but if he isn't backed with some hefty funds by Randy then I have a feeling it could go tits up very quickly and we'll be in the same kind of crap we were in this season and for the majority of the previous one.

For me it's about the potential OGS has.

I think Lambert and Martinez would both do well here but I think OGS has the potential to do more.

I think OGS would attract better players. I think young players would improve under him better and I think he has the potential to really change this club because of his background, age and ambitions.

If the manger is young, whoever it is should be supported for years, even if they relegate us.

Support shouldn't turn on and off, if its clear what they are trying to do then its going to take years not months.

I don't care if the next manager is 20 years old or 90 if they preside over a relegation season then they will rightfully be sacked. You can't excuse failure no matter how old someone is. If they aren't ready for the job due to a lack of experience then don't employ them but don't use it as an excuse for failure.

This. No manager with a team of Bent, Nzogbia, Ireland, Given and Gabby should get them relegated.

Sorry but I am completely with VillaForever1970 on this point. We have to stop chopping and changing our manager. A team of Bent, Nzogbia, Ireland, Given and Gabby you say? Nzogbia has only ever proved himself in a small team which made everything revolve around him, Ireland has been poor (even last season) for 4 or 5 seasons now and Gabby simply has not produced considering the hype he gets. When he loses his pace, it is over for him. Therefore, are we really relying on a mid-30's goalkeeping who has a history of a dodgy groin and Bent to ensure we are a premiership team?

I am sorry but our squad is wafer thin and isn't as good as you make out. Our kids have got potential and under OGS I honestly think they will improve. For a start, the midfielders might actually see the ball now instead of it being lumped over them every time they come for the ball. They played a better type of football in the reserves than in the 1st team last year.

Providing OGS comes in, has the right attitude and tries to change things at Villa (for the long term) we need to get over our short sightedness. Eck was a shocking appointment from the start and never, ever, should have been appointed. His football was dross and always will be. However, when Houllier was here, even though we were near the relegation zone, I completely supported what he was trying to do.

Dunne, Warnock and Hutton are a disease of our club which we need rid of ASAP. I am not saying that they could not be good players but the influence they have in the dressing room is not good in my opinion. Houllier and GMac identified this and if it means OGS takes us down whilst trying to play the right way, bring on relegation I say instead of the prospect of having a run of the mill, mid-table manager like Allardyce, McCarthy, Bruce, Dowie etc etc.

Providing OGS maintains his appreciation for AVFC, has respect for the club and fans and plays football the right way, I will be behind him no matter what and I would like to think the majority of the fan base would be too.

Just my opinion.

OGS has a higher ceiling than Lambert I feel, but a lower floor. Lambert offers the same as MON. Solidity in upper midtable but I suspect the nous to make a serious challenge to 6th in an even more competitive league.

Richard is spot on. Lambert is the ideal choice for where we are at now.

If it is to be Solskjaer so be it I'll back him but if he isn't backed with some hefty funds by Randy then I have a feeling it could go tits up very quickly and we'll be in the same kind of crap we were in this season and for the majority of the previous one.

Last season we had little fight, zero confidence, poor tactics and a terrible approach to games.

I don't think any of those would be an issue under OSG.

I also really want OGS over Lambert. BUT I think if I try to be reflective on this, it's a matter of heart ruling head.

OGS seems so exciting a prospect, and we're all thinking he'd revolutionise the club from top to bottom.

And he might well do. I feel like a kid at Christmas when I picture this. Really. My stomach turns over, I feel my heart speeding up. It's like I'm about to open whatever is the modern equivalent of a Scaletrix set (which I never got as a kid, btw... and no, Dad, Race'n'Chase is quite obviously a cheap knock-off and not just like the real thing... ahem).

Taking away that we've all fallen in love with OGS to varying degrees, I can also see the argument that Lambert is arguably the more sensible choice.

I am trying to ground myself by comparing to last season's lurching from the possibility of GMac to the threat of the wally with the brolly and eventually stumbling towards the pit of despair containing the dour one...

Just laid 20 quid OGS, will still win a decent amount if he gets appointed but I'm not sure I trust the club to do the right thing!

If the shortlist is, as rumoured, Lambert, OGS & Martinez then I am happy with any of the 3.

I don't think there is a wrong choice in that field.

Surely OGS would come with Fergie's recommendation? Would piss me off big time if Randy hired a manager nobody wanted partly because Fergie recommended him but then didn't hire a manager most of us wanted who Fergie would recommend even more.

Just laid 20 quid OGS, will still win a decent amount if he gets appointed but I'm not sure I trust the club to do the right thing!

If the shortlist is, as rumoured, Lambert, OGS & Martinez then I am happy with any of the 3.

I don't think there is a wrong choice in that field.

yep...

at the moment its win win whatever happens if its those 3...

if time drags on or someone rules themselves out i'll start having nightmares about Bruce, Mick and Holloway

Im sensing that OGS isn't our first choice.

The fact the board choose Mcleish last year - just makes you so 'jumpy' - I keeping a headline concerning Gareth Southgate, Lee Clark, arriving at VP for talks.

The money is piling on OGS though - hes more fancied now that at any other time ???