Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Yes but O'Neill left a few days before the new season if you recall, so if what you say is right, which I think it is in that it's the managers fault, then the blame lies with him. Gabby had already packed on the muscle during the summer before Houllier joined us. I think I'm right in saying that.

As for today, it just proves that he can get the balance right. I don't think he's as muscular now as he was back then, but he's still frighteningly quick and strong enough to hold CB's at bay.

Edited by Ginko

Yes but O'Neill left a few days before the new season if you recall, so if what you say is right, which I think it is in that it's the managers fault, then the blame lies with him. Gabby had already packed on the muscle during the summer before Houllier joined us. I think I'm right in saying that.

As for today, it just proves that he can get the balance right. I don't think he's as muscular now as he was back then, but he's still frighteningly quick and strong enough to hold CB's at bay.

No, it was at least a season before that.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Premier_League - check the results chart. It was the summer before this that Gaby got stacked.

Edited by KentVillan

What I'm saying is that he bulked up a whole season before Houllier became manager (i.e. the summer before 09-10). GH may have told him to stop, but by that point it was too late. I remember Beckham and Owen both made similar mistakes (which is when Beckham lost the ability to beat a man), but nowadays it's very rare that a manager lets his players take personal responsibility for their fitness regimes. MON was too old school - didn't believe in squad rotation and clearly didn't bother with sports science post-1980. I think Gaby was one of the big victims of this, because physically he's a thoroughbred, one of the fastest players in PL history. We should have looked after him better.

Edited by KentVillan

Maybe to an extent, but he has to take a large part of the blame himself. He was a grown man at that stage, capable of making decisions and he must have realised his game would change if his physique did. I remember reading articles about how he used to stare in the mirror at his new physique, he sounded unbelievably vain.

Sorry, but if Gabby is a true professional, he can make those decisions on his own. Should the club have intervened earlier when it proved that Gabby was just going to do it anyway? Sure, but he should have known what to do anyway.

The point is that it suggests the players weren't given sufficient instruction by coaching staff. I suspect Gaby isn't the only vain and somewhat idiotic player in the Premier League, and yet you don't see this happening to players at United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. because those clubs would never let it happen. You hear about Rooney or Michael Johnson, but never someone completely f--king up their physique with inappropriate fitness work. MON should have given his players training schemes, rules, etc. for the close season, and they should have been monitoring the players over the summer (just a simple meeting and weigh-in every few weeks would have put a stop to it). I just think it's really off the mark to attack Gaby for getting buff, and also for falling out with GH and AM. He clearly loves the club.

MON had him bulk up because he was playing him as a lone striker for a few patches when Carew was injured more than not and Harewood was the only real alternative.

He does seem to have got some of that speed back this season though.

• Like 1

Gabby is a quality player when in the mood. He has stepped up to the plate and nobody can argue with his work rate. His goals were brilliant yesterday and he often scores very good goals.

I think he went off the boil a little bit for a season or two but didn't that coincide with him becoming a father to three kids from three different girls? And wasn't one of his kids seriously ill? If so, you can understand him not being 100% in his job. Let's face it, who would be 100% at work if you had all that going on in your life?

He looked to me like he was lacking confidence earlier in the season but now he looks to be back to his very best and he deserves all the plaudits he gets. He is a legend at Villa and I think he deserves to be. So many players have come and gone who promised a lot but didn't progress. I think Gabby will still bring a lot more to the club over the coming years.

• Like 1

Gabby is not the most gifted player, we've known that ever since he was breaking records in the youth team.

However what he lacks in ability, he makes up with effort. The man loves villa and even though I obviously enjoy every goal villa score, I enjoy his a little bit more.

He's now coming into what should be his peak, he's only 26 and has a long time left in the game, hopefully he'll sound it all at villa.

I remember an article saying when GH came in, gabby seriously considered leaving. To be fair to AM he built Gabbys confidence back up slightly but this year considering the position he's playing in, he's had a fantastic record. Hell never be a 20 goal a season striker, but it was can get 10 from him then he's had a good season.

I know he's still one of our high earners, and probably the only one that deserves to be, from the 'old' lot.

• Like 1

I know he's still one of our high earners, and probably the only one that deserves to be, from the 'old' lot.

Agree with that.

He is Villa through and through and he puts in so much effort even with poor managers, poor tactics and being played out of position. I've been critical of his touch and decision making but I think he is exactly the type of player that we need in the side. He plays a pivotal role for us up front since he can comfortably fill any of the 3 positions in our 4-3-3 formation.

• Like 1

He's really stepped forward when we needed it the most. Benteke had a rather bad game yesterday and then Gabby stepped up and showed that Benteke ain't our only threat. We have Benteke, Gabby and Weimann who can all score. That will unsettle most defences.

Gabby's got some stick through the years. Some deserved, some not. I think most of it has been harsh so I get extra happy when he scores.

• Like 2

His goals today have saved the club from relegation, still don't think he has lived up the promise when he came on the scene in 2006, but he is doing well this season.

I think the Gabster is now at his peak. There was a rumour a couple of season's back that Wenger was going to sign him for £15m & Mon was also reportedly interested in taking him to scumberland for the same figure before swooping for Fletcher from Wolves.

So glad Gabby is still here because he is Villa through & through & his best years are still undoubtedly ahead of him & with him Benteke & Weimann we may potentially have a more prolific front 3 than in 1977 with Andy Gray, Brian Little & John Deehan. Really hope this is so.

You know at the start if the season I thought maybe it was time for Gabby to move on, I thought maybe he had gone a bit stale. But since the turn of the year he's been exceptional. He's been the Gabby of old, if not even better.

I'm gladly eating humble pie.

You know at the start if the season I thought maybe it was time for Gabby to move on, I thought maybe he had gone a bit stale. But since the turn of the year he's been exceptional. He's been the Gabby of old, if not even better.

I'm gladly eating humble pie.

Same. I love that he seems to have this knack for getting it done in the big games. Whether it be against the top clubs, in local derbies or big relegation fights.

I think the Gabster is now at his peak. There was a rumour a couple of season's back that Wenger was going to sign him for £15m & Mon was also reportedly interested in taking him to scumberland for the same figure before swooping for Fletcher from Wolves.

So glad Gabby is still here because he is Villa through & through & his best years are still undoubtedly ahead of him & with him Benteke & Weimann we may potentially have a more prolific front 3 than in 1977 with Andy Gray, Brian Little & John Deehan. Really hope this is so.

I'd  still take £15m for him in a flash tbh

I wouldn't I want to see this front three next season with a more solid defence behind it.

I wouldn't I want to see this front three next season with a more solid defence behind it.

I'd like to see that too, but Lambert has shown he's a shrewd guy in the transfer market, and £15m (plus the £50-55k a week gabby is on) could most likely strengthen us a lot more than having gabby turn up for 3 months a season. Don't get me wrong, he's saved our bacon in the last few weeks and been excellent, but fans have short memories, and he's shown the other side of his play a lot more in the last few seasons. I just think we could do a lot better for the money. Playing advocate though, one thing that money wouldn't buy is Gabby's commitment and love of the club, so by that same note, I'd certainly not be up in arms if he stayed

Ginko you really are talking garbage (again)

Gabby has been either injured or dicked about by bell end managers

Villa leg

So Gabby has been perfect and always put the effort in and made the right choices? Rubbish.

When fit and played in position and not slagged off and put down by his manager, Yes, Yes he has.

So get back in your box ;-)

Â