Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

Maybe still fast but not lightning quick which always gave him the edge he needed.

Faster than 99% of defenders which was more than enough, but with the added bonus that he could hold them off now. Even though I personally prefer the wiry, lightning fast Gabby I think it was a very rational decision for him to make and made sense at the time.

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Faster than 99% of defenders which was more than enough, but with the added bonus that he could hold them off now. Even though I personally prefer the wiry, lightning fast Gabby I think it was a very rational decision for him to make and made sense at the time.

Very rational? Even though his manager and coaches told him it was a bad idea. I can not see how slowing down a limited player is a good idea in any sense. That time in the gym should of been spent on extra training on his positioning and technical skills.

4 hours ago, jasoncb said:

Maybe still fast but not lightning quick which always gave him the edge he needed.

To be honest recently I have seen us make a couple of breaks (counter attacks) which have broken down and I've thought, If it was Gabby on that ball we would have been long gone down the pitch. 

9 hours ago, LockStockVilla said:

I'd have to disagree with this.

As far as I am aware, MON was not anything close to a disciplined manager and was said to be incredibly hands off. I believe it may be quite the opposite and Gabby is not a fan of discipline/structured/being pushed too hard. He seemed to have a problem with Robert Duverne the first time around under Houllier and I do not think it is any coincidence that Duverne has come back to the club under Garde, and Gabby is out of the team. Duverne is said to have a very disciplined style when it comes to training and fitness, and I think that points to the issue lying with Gabby and his work rate, or lack thereof. 

I think O’Neil was disciplined and hands off. There was an aura he carried which we haven’t had in a manager since. I don’t think Gabby’s success during that period had anything to do with Martin O’Neil being soft on Gabby.

I think Gabby would be a hard worker in the right environment and if there was a purpose to drive him. When O’Neil was at the club I think he created that environment and the success we were having and the promise of more to come would have been motivating factors. Also Gabby was young then and proving himself in the premier league.

He still has what it takes he just needs to get back into shape and realise he can play a part in saving Aston Villa from relegation.  

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

If there is any truth to this, I imagine Dave J is about to blow his head off with the contents of his own testicles. 

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The bigger he got the less he worked!! His off the ball movement is shocking 

• Like 1

Â