General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

If Mick McCarthy becomes manager, I'm done. I'll always be a Villa fan but that would be proof enough that the people running the club are not in touch with reality.

I doubt it would happen though. They couldn't possibly word removed it up that badly, could they?

With regards to Ole Gunnar Solskjær, I do not think he is ready for this challenge and I do not think he will leave Norway just yet.

He is very reflected and a total gentleman, but his path to FK Molde's first league trophy was somewhat given to him easily. Him coming home was a huge boost to the entire city, he is a legend after all. On top of that, they had the most money and the best players and squad available. When you think about the Norwegian league you automatically think about Rosenborg, but they were in a decline last season and struggled the whole year. Molde got off to a good start and just continued. The perfect blend between the old guard and new talent, as well as spending money to get that extra ability on top. It takes very little to compete in Norway, a few signings and every team is capable of winning if you ask me - and I am Norwegian. Molde were favs from day 1 last season and everyone predicted them on top, and they won in the end. Of course, you have to play the games and you have to control your players, but it was not like he took the 6th best team and turned them in to champions.

So what I mean is that Solskjær has not really been through tough times yet, and they will come this season as Rosenborg is back on its feet (it would seem). Very, very few Norwegian managers have gone from the Tippeliga to the bigger European leagues. Ståle Solbakken did immensely well in Denmark (again, with the best team, expected to win every season regardless) - then he flopped with Köln where he had a crap squad and European qual. aspirations. With Wolves he is in the second tier, and I think that will suit him well.

Solskjær's managerial capabilities is down to what he has learnt from Fergie and players like Scholes and Giggs. However, that was Manchester United in the most advanced setup and most consistent team the world has seen in the modern era. They always had money to challenge whatever team gave them a challenge so to speak, and that is not Aston Villa. Is he a motivator? Maybe, but all the reputation he has now is down to the fact that he did brilliantly as a sub, that never became disgruntled because he didn't start a match. As a tough manager making his demands vocal enough? Not for me, I think he is too soft for such a job, at least now.

Turn things around, ship Martinez to the Norwegian league and he would have been a legend in an instant. Solskjær has been given everything on a silver platter after his retirement, and deservedly so, but it is very hard to judge him now based on his achievements.

My theory now is that Lerner has reached a crossroad. Keep investing in Villa or sell up? I was certain it was the latter 6 months ago, but either he has struggled to find a buyer or he has gotten new motivation. He knows very well that a) we cannot compete for the Champions League right now and B) without some investment we are going to be a pain in the ass for him and eventually maybe relegate as we almost did this season. I think we will get an exciting manager this season, my bet is on Martinez, and I think that individual will be the one that spends the most money outside the top clubs. I think we will net something like 25-30M on players, if the manager finds the right players. It does not take much for us to challenge Everton and Newcastle if you think about it. It takes that vital bit of spending, but not 100M. I do not recall where people expected Newcastle to finish this season, but I guess I had them at around 10th to 12th like everyone else. I also expected us from 10th to 15th. A few gems and we are there - in football things change in a second...

I'm getting worried about McCarthy, can it really all be because some rich loon has decided to have a play about with a few grand, as they say there's no smoke without fire....

CI wrote:

Martinez and his 60" plasma can **** right off

Relegation fodder year after year

Curious to know, what could Martinez have done with that squad to signify success in your opinion?

And also, how high would they have finished with Wenger, Mourinho or Ferguson at the helm? Of course a few places higher one could agree, but are you seriously implying that 8th to 10th would have been possible with these players and with that budget? Of course Wenger could have gotten in a few gems, but I am asking you based on that squad alone....

A tenner on AVB at 40/1....ah why not? More chance of that than Mick.

Im not sure AVB would be the best option with us, EVEN IF we could tempt his massive ego to VP.

He has no experience of working with teams not fighting at the top of the table, and is only used to dealing with top players.

I think he would explode watching us play football!

Us poor Villa fans are ripe fodder for the trolls at the moment. Talksport have mocked up a photo of MM holding a Villa scarf in front of the Holte. The bell ends.

Don't fall for it folks!

I like a gamble but i've never used Betfair and I don't have a clue what's going on on that Betfair page, all the names have 6 different buttons next to them with 2 different numbers on the buttons????? WTF? Anyone?

With regards to Ole Gunnar Solskjær, I do not think he is ready for this challenge and I do not think he will leave Norway just yet.

He is very reflected and a total gentleman, but his path to FK Molde's first league trophy was somewhat given to him easily. Him coming home was a huge boost to the entire city, he is a legend after all. On top of that, they had the most money and the best players and squad available. When you think about the Norwegian league you automatically think about Rosenborg, but they were in a decline last season and struggled the whole year. Molde got off to a good start and just continued. The perfect blend between the old guard and new talent, as well as spending money to get that extra ability on top. It takes very little to compete in Norway, a few signings and every team is capable of winning if you ask me - and I am Norwegian. Molde were favs from day 1 last season and everyone predicted them on top, and they won in the end. Of course, you have to play the games and you have to control your players, but it was not like he took the 6th best team and turned them in to champions.

So what I mean is that Solskjær has not really been through tough times yet, and they will come this season as Rosenborg is back on its feet (it would seem). Very, very few Norwegian managers have gone from the Tippeliga to the bigger European leagues. Ståle Solbakken did immensely well in Denmark (again, with the best team, expected to win every season regardless) - then he flopped with Köln where he had a crap squad and European qual. aspirations. With Wolves he is in the second tier, and I think that will suit him well.

Solskjær's managerial capabilities is down to what he has learnt from Fergie and players like Scholes and Giggs. However, that was Manchester United in the most advanced setup and most consistent team the world has seen in the modern era. They always had money to challenge whatever team gave them a challenge so to speak, and that is not Aston Villa. Is he a motivator? Maybe, but all the reputation he has now is down to the fact that he did brilliantly as a sub, that never became disgruntled because he didn't start a match. As a tough manager making his demands vocal enough? Not for me, I think he is too soft for such a job, at least now.

Turn things around, ship Martinez to the Norwegian league and he would have been a legend in an instant. Solskjær has been given everything on a silver platter after his retirement, and deservedly so, but it is very hard to judge him now based on his achievements.

My theory now is that Lerner has reached a crossroad. Keep investing in Villa or sell up? I was certain it was the latter 6 months ago, but either he has struggled to find a buyer or he has gotten new motivation. He knows very well that a) we cannot compete for the Champions League right now and B) without some investment we are going to be a pain in the ass for him and eventually maybe relegate as we almost did this season. I think we will get an exciting manager this season, my bet is on Martinez, and I think that individual will be the one that spends the most money outside the top clubs. I think we will net something like 25-30M on players, if the manager finds the right players. It does not take much for us to challenge Everton and Newcastle if you think about it. It takes that vital bit of spending, but not 100M. I do not recall where people expected Newcastle to finish this season, but I guess I had them at around 10th to 12th like everyone else. I also expected us from 10th to 15th. A few gems and we are there - in football things change in a second...

Thanks for that, had no idea that molde were expected to win and that he had been given plenty of money.....not knowing anything about Norwegian football I just presumed he had just done a great job with a low placed team.

My reasoning for thinking that he would do a good job was based on his Norwegian performance and the way he played. He always seemed a very tactical player which is why he was such a great substitute, he seemed to watch where defenders went and did the opposite.