General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

lanbert.. however i really wonder why no one wants the villa job! since mon left we all know what happened etc but ffs we were knocked back by a manager from wigan, for reasons unknown ogs has said no.. no matter how you mask it,its another no! makes you wonder why we can only get the likes of AM in.

Not sure if I am on the blame lerner bandwagon just yet. It seems around here now that "Lerner can't hire a manager" is just a euphemism for "we didn't get my first choice". Also, this idea that we are going about this wrongly is misguided to a degree.

Firstly, the board said they were looking for someone young and vibrant and would be interviewing multiple candidates. They have said nothing else and have gone on to interview OGS potentially on the recommendation of Klinsmann. Now, I believe Lerner was being gracious, as well as putting AVFC's best foot forward by offering up the jet for a manager in a job, with a match in a few days. It got out, and all hell broke loose, including a love in from many fans, but Villa still never said a word and OGS, who had an existing job to look after and NO offer from Villa, graciously backed out knowing Villa was talking to other candidates. Should Villa have made an offer immediately? Whilst I too liked OGS, he is merely "poised" for success, perhaps has a good possibility of success, but he certainly hasn't proved it and has such a limited set of data to review that at least another conversation would need to be had before putting together an offer. Many posters here were not 100% convinced, and I am sure the man who has to pay him wants to be a little more sure of such a young, inexperienced potential hire.

On to the rest of the list. I believe that there is money out there, as the wage bill has become more manageable, as well as Lerner knowing that he can't hire another McLeish so he is going to have to pony up something (which he generally has). Also, what club out there seeking a manager (ex. Chelsea/Liverpool) is going to offer more in transfer funds and manager's wage? Who has a better infrastructure for implementing a manager's vision? So any young manager looking to move to the PL, or up a rung on the PL ladder would be a fool to not at least seriously consider Villa. So I don't buy the idea that OGS was offered something and it wasn't a good offer.

I think they have a short list that consists of:

1. secret and ambitious (sounding them out via back channels to gauge interest)

2. secret and ambitious

3 - 5. known PL quantities (martinez, Lambert, Rodgers)

6. Other less known, riskier proposition that fit the criteria (OGS, ?)

7. KMAC

The known PL quantities don't require an immediate interview as their body of work is pretty well known, and with whom perhaps Lerner has an unwritten agreement that he won't approach for an interview thereby unsettling the manager and club unless he is 99% sure he is offering the position, or if they are given permission to speak with another club as well (I think its this way with both Martinez and Lambert).

Lerner perhaps has had some interest from his more ambitious prospects, perhaps it is someone like AVB who said he would like to hear from Liverpool and Roma before moving forward, and Lerner says its worth the wait as long as Lambert et al haven't been approached yet (and Delia hasn't rung up to give the heads up), so he is willing to wait a bit. The cost? OGS, who is farther down the list and perhaps in Lerner's eyes he is confident someone higher up the list is attainable and doesn't want to gamble on OGS just yet.

We will never know what is going on behind the scenes. Many might say "just get Lambert now, don't leave it to chance", but if we were to get Lambert, what if later we were to find out AVB was actually willing to take on the Villa project? (fill in whoever your first choice, attainable or not, instead of AVB if you like). Would we have "settled" for Lambert?

The fear is always what happened last season when the supply was weak and limited, our position was equally tenuous, and our options dwindled quickly (though i think we are far out ahead of this search this year). And that could happen, though I think that Lerner would opt for young vs. retread this season after McLeish, but I believe we are going about things the right way this time, or at least I hope so.

Anyone else ever thought it might be because of our own thetrees we don't have OGS as manager? I'd he hadn't told the world Randy's private plans they might have had the time and privacy to do a deal

I don't even know anymore. After the buzz and excitement around Solskjær and the subsequent falling through, I fear a repeat of last summer's drama and dysfunction. I feel like being a Villa fan anymore is a lesson in dealing with dashed hopes and expectations, adjusting those hopes and expectations to a significantly lower standard, and still somehow being remarkably disappointed with the results. I would have been thrilled with Solskjær, I'd still take Lambert or Martinez or a pipe dream appointment like Villas-Boas...but I fear Bruce, McCarthy, or worse.

Anyone else ever thought it might be because of our own thetrees we don't have OGS as manager? I'd he hadn't told the world Randy's private plans they might have had the time and privacy to do a deal

No, people at Molde kicked off about it anyway.

Well after a day of no news and a lot of journalists saying we were indicating we would appoint this week and all would become clear in 24 hours etc etc.......It seems that OGS was out 1st choice and we were not progressed with anyone else.

I am already fed up. No news, no rumours, no manager BUT also NO heskey!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah!

But then if the mad van Gaal were the new manager, he would probably re-sign Heskey.....and play him on the wing!

Definitely do not want KMac, although if the statement said vibrant, then it's unlikely.

Don't read too much into the statement. When they said they were after someone vibrant it was probably aimed at OGS.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that there are currently 4 PL clubs without a manager - if I've kept count correctly.

Villa, WBA, Chelsea & Liverpool.

It maybe that some of the candidates we are looking at - may wish themselves to talk to the OTHER clubs who are also looking for a manager. I'm not saying that's ITK info I'm just stating the facts.

I'd much rather AVFC took their time and appointed the right man for the job.

These things take time............. we just need to chill and be patient.