General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

What I would say is that Lerner and Faulkner need to rapidly reevaluate the "offer".

If you apporach a candidate that you want, you start talking about what is needed at the club and the transfer budget available you cannot expect managers with anything about them to be motivated to accept if the transfer budget consists of 'you can keep whatever sales you make'.

I'm afraid Lerner and Faulkner need to understand where we are going as a club if that is the sum total of the rebuilding fund.

That is not being candid with yourselves or the supporters

And you know that's the offer made to OGS how exactly ? Surely if that was the offer he would have immediately said he wasn't interested, when in fact after the "informal meeting" he seemed to send out positive messages about wanting the job.

Something else happene to change his mind, none of us know what, but I suspect it wasn't at the Villa end.

He was never made an offer :!: Impressed with him but not enough to take it any further but was a Good back up option .

I admit I wanted him and haven't a clue as I have said before who the other candidates they have seen :!: are . My take on it is :

Outstanding candidates

Martinez not sure we would go through the fiasco again and he is meeting Liverpool in Boston today but YES

Lambert YES would have him but is he too much like Martin ONeil ? for Board to go down that route

Options

Rogers has already turned down Liverpool so won’t come to us

Poyet Possible with experienced coach ? Quite like him

Di Matteo can’t argue he has won things but is he billy big time ? didn’t exactly do wonders at WBA but wouldn’t rule him out . The kudos is good about him but nagging doubt was he already had the infrastructure there

Ian Holloway fits the bill good eye for a bargain but is he too Barry Fry and his comments last season about Villa ruled him out

Then the outsiders

Kevin Mac proved in his last spell he wasn’t up to it coaching the first team and would be Another Terry Connor

Grayson preparing for a play off game didn’t cut it in the championship , fans would be up in arms

Zola with Steve Clarke ? Uninspiring and aint sure

Hoddle my choice but been out of work too long ?

Southgate safe pair of hands but again hardly likely to be vibrant for the club

Lee Clarke see Zola comments Uninspiring and aint sure

Chris Hughton good manager and proven but would we go down that route again from the dark side

Rank outsiders

David Moyes Perfect choice but hardly likely to leave Everton for Villa unless we have said we will spend heavily

Rannerri past his sell by date and flitting in and out . Check book Manager

Bilbao Manager like him a lot but destined I think for bigger things than Villa

Bob Bradley wasn’t considered before why now ?

Nigel Adkins done a great job at Soton can’t see him leaving

Ones we don’t know about ?

Foreign Managers who are young / vibrant doing it in their leagues ? Guy just left Lazio as an example don’t know enough about them to give an opinion on it .

Do you know if the club/PF/RL knows how frustated fans are with The Search and total lack of communication from the club to the fans?

Yes but they have nothing to say until there is anything to say for definate . I am as frustrated as everyone else and wanted OGS but it was never confirmed he was Number 1 choice and lets be honest I suppose if he was the main target they would have offered him the job . They didn't and thats been said from OGS side so my take is the Number 1 target is still out there .

The worry is MM that according to Kendrick (the most ITK) they haven't talked to Lambert or Martinez yet. Surely if they were high they would have spoken to them.

I am not sure they have approached their No.1 yet. If not why not? etc

Maybe they have :?: as OGS was supposed to go under the radar from both ends but we leaked it ! I really haven't a clue maybe it's Martinez but Liverpool scuppered it and they are waiting to hear if he will take that job before we go to option 2 . That's guess work by the way because as I say I haven't a clue they have in mind other than they are adamant about the ideal identkit of manager they want .

I'd have Wilkins as an assistant but not a manager. Maybe he could come in alongside Poyet?

Really have no idea where we are going now with a potential manager. At least there's Liverpool out there currently to take some of the spotlight off of us.

Poyet and Wilkins could be pretty good.

Would the fact that we didn't offer OGS the job mean that the first choice has accepted it or at least had positive talks?

I doubt it with our lot...Fact is I dont think we can pull another Ole out of the hat. We should of offered him the job now I fear Lambert wont want to come and we will be left with another so called "experienced" manager

What I would say is that Lerner and Faulkner need to rapidly reevaluate the "offer".

If you apporach a candidate that you want, you start talking about what is needed at the club and the transfer budget available you cannot expect managers with anything about them to be motivated to accept if the transfer budget consists of 'you can keep whatever sales you make'.

I'm afraid Lerner and Faulkner need to understand where we are going as a club if that is the sum total of the rebuilding fund.

That is not being candid with yourselves or the supporters

And you know that's the offer made to OGS how exactly ? Surely if that was the offer he would have immediately said he wasn't interested, when in fact after the "informal meeting" he seemed to send out positive messages about wanting the job.

Something else happene to change his mind, none of us know what, but I suspect it wasn't at the Villa end.

He was never made an offer :!: Impressed with him but not enough to take it any further but was a Good back up option .

I admit I wanted him and haven't a clue as I have said before who the other candidates they have seen :!: are . My take on it is :

Outstanding candidates

Martinez not sure we would go through the fiasco again and he is meeting Liverpool in Boston today but YES

Lambert YES would have him but is he too much like Martin ONeil ? for Board to go down that route

Options

Rogers has already turned down Liverpool so won’t come to us

Poyet Possible with experienced coach ? Quite like him

Di Matteo can’t argue he has won things but is he billy big time ? didn’t exactly do wonders at WBA but wouldn’t rule him out . The kudos is good about him but nagging doubt was he already had the infrastructure there

Ian Holloway fits the bill good eye for a bargain but is he too Barry Fry and his comments last season about Villa ruled him out

Then the outsiders

Kevin Mac proved in his last spell he wasn’t up to it coaching the first team and would be Another Terry Connor

Grayson preparing for a play off game didn’t cut it in the championship , fans would be up in arms

Zola with Steve Clarke ? Uninspiring and aint sure

Hoddle my choice but been out of work too long ?

Southgate safe pair of hands but again hardly likely to be vibrant for the club

Lee Clarke see Zola comments Uninspiring and aint sure

Chris Hughton good manager and proven but would we go down that route again from the dark side

Rank outsiders

David Moyes Perfect choice but hardly likely to leave Everton for Villa unless we have said we will spend heavily

Rannerri past his sell by date and flitting in and out . Check book Manager

Bilbao Manager like him a lot but destined I think for bigger things than Villa

Bob Bradley wasn’t considered before why now ?

Nigel Adkins done a great job at Soton can’t see him leaving

Ones we don’t know about ?

Foreign Managers who are young / vibrant doing it in their leagues ? Guy just left Lazio as an example don’t know enough about them to give an opinion on it .

Do you know if the club/PF/RL knows how frustated fans are with The Search and total lack of communication from the club to the fans?

Yes but they have nothing to say until there is anything to say for definate . I am as frustrated as everyone else and wanted OGS but it was never confirmed he was Number 1 choice and lets be honest I suppose if he was the main target they would have offered him the job . They didn't and thats been said from OGS side so my take is the Number 1 target is still out there .

The worry is MM that according to Kendrick (the most ITK) they haven't talked to Lambert or Martinez yet. Surely if they were high they would have spoken to them.

I am not sure they have approached their No.1 yet. If not why not? etc

Maybe they have :?: as OGS was supposed to go under the radar from both ends but we leaked it ! I really haven't a clue maybe it's Martinez but Liverpool scuppered it and they are waiting to hear if he will take that job before we go to option 2 . That's guess work by the way because as I say I haven't a clue they have in mind other than they are adamant about the ideal identkit of manager they want .

The problem with announcing the criteria of the manager that the board are seeking ie. vibrant, inspirational to both fans and players and able to reinvigorate AVFC, is that it limits our shortlist dramatically.

I would suggest that none of the remaining candidates that we may actually be able to attract can fulfill all those criteria. Have the board unwittingly set themselves up to fail again?

I hope not, but the next few days will be crucial to Randy's reputation.

A part of me is intrigued about all this. OGS would've obviously been a very exciting appointment, but maybe he was just a back-up for our plan A? Maybe we've now got plan a? Maybe, just maybe, plan a could be an even more exciting appointment than OGS?

With all that's been going on recently it's also very possible that somebody else has slipped completely under the radar.

really hard to tell who they are going to go for now.

young, enthusiastic and vibrant.

out of your list MM that woudl appear to rule out...

Ranieri

Hoddle

KMac

Bielsa

..for age.

then a few more for vibrancy...

Southgate

Grayson

Bradley

Clarke

then Lambert says not going anywhere, Martinez turned us down last year and in talks with liverpool.

doesn't seem to be a lot left!

zola would get us playing possession football and with steve clark be a good pair but wouldn't go down too well with the fans because of his record as a manager.

OGS has ruled himself out after no offer from teh club when he'd basically asked to be given the job.

young and vibrant and italian, there's devis mangia. sacked at palermo last year who started pretty well and is still young. not sure where he is now! there's walter mazzari who's 50 but has just won the cup with napoli and more than likely wouldn't be interested.

bilic? wouldn't be able to have much of a preseason as will be at the euros.

deschamps? very doubtfull.

blanc? ditto.

who the f*ck is this young and vibrant manager?

A part of me is intrigued about all this. OGS would've obviously been a very exciting appointment, but maybe he was just a back-up for our plan A? Maybe we've now got plan a? Maybe, just maybe, plan a could be an even more exciting appointment than OGS?

With all that's been going on recently it's also very possible that somebody else has slipped completely under the radar.

I just can't see it.

Lerner has **** it up twice in two years.

Would love to be proven wrong but I have a feeling we will be let down once again this summer.

I think we are as far away from appointing or even knowing who we want - as we were when Mcleish got the boot.

I ve been watching villa hire and fire managers for years. In the early days i thought 'well they wouldn't sack xxxx unless yyyy was lined up' - but they did and they hadn't. Theres a tendency to overestimate, and always thinking there is a grand plan in place. Most of the time there isn't. When Doug appointed Graham Taylor - GT phoned him out of the blue - it wasn't the culmination of some strategy.

Whether OGS was first choice or not - I don't know - but I would be very surprised if messers Lerner and Faulkner - have a target identified ..and a strategy to get him...........

I just can't see it.

Lerner has **** it up twice in two years.

Would love to be proven wrong but I have a feeling we will be let down once again this summer.

I know I know, but why else would they pull the plug on the OGS deal? Just doesn't add up.

I just don't want another season of dull football and no sense of direction.

First choice? Laurent Blanc, but that won't happen. I like Lambert, but Norwich can't defend. I like Martinez, but he's too much of a risk for us unless we give him plenty of money. AVB has something to prove and I wouldn't be against it, but bigger clubs will be after him.

So who? I haven't a clue, and judging by the OGS thread, no one does. Wait and see I guess.

I am thinking it is AVB.. If we haven't gone for Lambert or Martinez then we are running short of Premier League experienced vibrant managers. It's not McCarthy as he isn't vibrant, he's a minor step up from McLeish. AVB ticks all the boxes, he did the miraculous at Porto and while he lost the dressing room at Chelsea his age went against him with some of the talent in their squad, I don't think they respected him..

At Villa I think he would do well and it won't be the same as Chelsea, yes we have some big ego's at the club in the form of Dunne and Collins but AVB at Chelsea was forced to muddle through one season before rebuilding, the players knew this and made it very difficult for him to succeed. At Villa, he'll be tasked with rebuilding the second he gets here so it's a different scenario.

really hard to tell who they are going to go for now.

young, enthusiastic and vibrant.

out of your list MM that woudl appear to rule out...

Ranieri

Hoddle

KMac

Bielsa

..for age.

then a few more for vibrancy...

Southgate

Grayson

Bradley

Clarke

then Lambert says not going anywhere, Martinez turned us down last year and in talks with liverpool.

doesn't seem to be a lot left!

zola would get us playing possession football and with steve clark be a good pair but wouldn't go down too well with the fans because of his record as a manager.

OGS has ruled himself out after no offer from teh club when he'd basically asked to be given the job.

young and vibrant and italian, there's devis mangia. sacked at palermo last year who started pretty well and is still young. not sure where he is now! there's walter mazzari who's 50 but has just won the cup with napoli and more than likely wouldn't be interested.

bilic? wouldn't be able to have much of a preseason as will be at the euros.

deschamps? very doubtfull.

blanc? ditto.

who the f*ck is this young and vibrant manager?

Guardiola :) Seriously by deduction it leaves Poyet or Di Matteo, unless they can convince AVB. Does Rijkaard still count as young? I'd love a bit of Dutch flavour at the club but I think he's manager of Saudi Arabia which I would have thought is rather well-paid.