Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Lambert was a very good defencive mid as a player so lets hope he is good at spotting one. That is the position we are weakest in now Petrov is out.

Or he gets Chris Herd to up his Game

We have Makoun coming back, Herd and clark three quality CDM's however i think clarkey boys best position is CB.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only cloud on the horizon for me is the fact that Norwich play direct football like we have become used to here. Someone posted a piece by the Guardian that said Norwich were third from bottom in possession stats last season. I would have liked to see us passing the ball around a bit more under our new manager. I suppose that with our squad we are not quite ready to emulate Barcelona and we should in any case hopefully see a huge advance in tactical awareness. At least I won't have to watch Villa from behind the sofa next season

I like Lambert. However i have my concerns.

His transfers for Norwich and previous clubs have always been lower league English Players.

That may be ok for low league sides.. but if you want to compete in the Premier League.. you have to buy some foreigners. Unless you do a MON and pay overs for overrated English players.

He needs to change his style and dip into the European Market. Does he have the connections from his Dortmund role to scout these players?

Thats my concern. Not enough good English players around to build a top quality side.. especially as all the big clubs have the better ones.

KSV? Are you serious? Do you think that A, Norwich had the money to shop in the top leagues of the world? B, That even if they did that Norwich were a big enough draw for those type of players?

We all know the struggle Villa have acquiring good players so how do you expect Norwich to fair?

If he is our new manager then I expect he will shop where the market allows him to, if RL were to give him 50m to spend I would expect 1 or 2 top draw sign's along with some "journey men" and some with potential.

If however it were 10m then he will have to work his butt off and that may mean he has to find some gems from the lower leagues but this isn't a fault or a worry of his making but something he will have to deal with.

Re read what i said. My concerns are he is untested in the European market.. has he got contacts to buy the players to push Villa on.

Not the fact that hes bought English lower league for Norwich..

Very happy if this comes off. :) Shame we don't know if he has quit yet but either way im fairly sure he should be ours if we make him a good offer, he will get a good wage package as the Gingerness was in the top 20 paid managers in europe.

Starting to really look forward to the season now :D

UTV!

The only cloud on the horizon for me is the fact that Norwich play direct football like we have become used to here. Someone posted a piece by the Guardian that said Norwich were third from bottom in possession stats last season. I would have liked to see us passing the ball around a bit more under our new manager. I suppose that with our squad we are not quite ready to emulate Barcelona and we should in any case hopefully see a huge advance in tactical awareness. At least I won't have to watch Villa from behind the sofa next season

I agree if we want players like zoggy,stephen ireland and barry bannan to be playing well again i suggest in playing passing football.... ah well. beats mcleishes hit and hope football. The plus is that PL cant play hoofball anymore now tha heskeys gone :D

His transfers for Norwich and previous clubs have always been lower league English Players.

That may be ok for low league sides.. but if you want to compete in the Premier League.. you have to buy some foreigners. Unless you do a MON and pay overs for overrated English players.

He needs to change his style and dip into the European Market. Does he have the connections from his Dortmund role to scout these players?

Thats my concern. Not enough good English players around to build a top quality side.. especially as all the big clubs have the better ones.

KSV? Are you serious? Do you think that A, Norwich had the money to shop in the top leagues of the world? B, That even if they did that Norwich were a big enough draw for those type of players?

We all know the struggle Villa have acquiring good players so how do you expect Norwich to fair?

If he is our new manager then I expect he will shop where the market allows him to, if RL were to give him 50m to spend I would expect 1 or 2 top draw sign's along with some "journey men" and some with potential.

If however it were 10m then he will have to work his butt off and that may mean he has to find some gems from the lower leagues but this isn't a fault or a worry of his making but something he will have to deal with.

Re read what i said. My concerns are he is untested in the European market.. has he got contacts to buy the players to push Villa on.

What about doing his coaching badges in Germany?

What about doing his coaching badges in Germany?

Im talking about his history of players transfers.. he hasnt had many at all. Thats all. Sensitive bunch!

I don't think we have much to worry about transfers if he becomes our manager, he has played in germany and got his coaching badges in germany. It's not like he had lot of chances of getting players abroad UK when Norwich was in the lower divisions.

I understand KSV's doubts, as I have had them as well. My hope is, that unlike MON he will evolve his style as he growns into management role, and with Villa being a bigger draw than Norwich for players he may utilise the bigger pool of players available. If he does have some German contacts, then that wouldn't be a bad place to start looking for players.

Quite ironic that Lambert looks to be joining Villa after his potential last match as Norwich manager was a win against us.

His last game as Colchester manager was a 7-1 win over Norwich before leaving to become their manager.

I can see a pattern emerging.

This couldn't have come at a worse time. Getting married on Monday, last day at work today so frantically pulling together everything...now i'm sat on here for the day!

Great appointment if it comes off. Best we could conceivably get and the right move for him as well.

Shame we don't know if he has quit yet

He has for sure... Read StanBalaban's post from earlier. Norwich will be at sixes and sevens at mo.

Someone has even quoted the conversation via twitter... (take with pinch of salt) he had with Norwich last night...

that went something along the lines of....

''You granted me permission & now you have withdrawn from our agreement.You cannot surrender your word.

Let us talk or I walk

Lambert walked it would seem!

THIS appears NOT to be a case of a manager simply walking out - it appears to be possibly a case of a club going back on an agreement

and THEN the managers felt he has no option but to resign.

If this is ALL true then THAT may well be potentially a case for "constructive dismissal"..........

Will be interesting to see if LMA get involved in this one!

Julie, what's the latest on Twitter?

If only anybody could access Twitter and read it there for themselves. I dream of such a day.

I have posted what I've gleaned -

Rumour is that he's walked because Norwich withdrew their permission for him to talk to us yesterday.

Which also explains - why people knew about the meeting scheduled for today a week ago!

Flip I wouldn't like to cross Paul Lambert... Scary!