Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

I just went in the lift at work and saw somebody I'd never spoke to before holding a Villa mug. I said, 'Have you heard about Lambert? He's quit Norwich.'

He replied, 'Yeah? I don't know why. He scored loads for them and they're probably going down now. We don't need him.'

I don't know what he thought I said. Probably won't talk to him again.

EDIT: Oh god, what if he's a VTer? Erm, he wasn't holding a mug, he was wearing a villa hat.

Ha Ha!! Quality awkward moment!!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I hope he does not bring Grant Holt!

Yes it would be disgraceful if he brought in someone who scored 17 premier league goals in his previous season. I mean how would poor Emile feel if he was replaced by someone who could actually find the back of the net?

this

Holt is too old. Villa needs invigorating and signing 30+ one hit premiership wonders who want to quit their current club because they want big money is not the way forward.

There was a reason why Woy took Carroll to the Euros and not Grant Holt.

On a side note, I would have Carroll at Villa.

On Holt, almost a perfect name for us. Think he has a release clause..? But wouldn't pay more than £2m due to age. Dublin was similar age (well, a little younger!) when we signed him.

Not wanting to get into an England debate, but that is flawed logic unless you can explain why 'Woy' has taken Jordan Henderson or Stuart Downing over anyone?

We don't need Holt.

Yeah I agree. A goal scoring striker, **** that shit. Get them as far away from villa par as poss, we hate scoring goals.

We have one already in Darren Bent he is our main striker.

Weimann etc are also options.

Holt will be a waste of money and I don't think we have much to play with anyway.. if he comes fair enough but I believe we other pressing matters (midfield and defence)

Holt would be the new Heskey. One last huge paycheck from a "rich" club before trundling back off to the lower leagues.

If we're going to have a manager who's a miserable media-unfriendly sulk then at least we can sign some exciting sounding players from Brazil and China or something.

Calm down about potential strikers. We still don't actually have a manager yet.

One thing of concern is that Lambert has now thrown his toys out of the pram and quit on two clubs in a row.

Will we be number 3?

We have one already in Darren Bent he is our main striker.

Weimann etc are also options.

Holt will be a waste of money and I don't think we have much to play with anyway.. if he comes fair enough but I believe we other pressing matters (midfield and defence)

I wouldn't say definitely go and sign him, but if PL does take over and within his budget constraints thought it was a good deal to bring him over I wouldn't have any objection to it.

While I agree that Holt is probably too old and not a great value signing I would not complain if Lambert decided he wanted to bring him across. The fact that we were effectively a rotting corpse floating on the water for much of the season after Bent went down demonstrates that we need more than one proven goal scorer in the squad.

Not wanting to get into an England debate, but that is flawed logic unless you can explain why 'Woy' has taken Jordan Henderson or Stuart Downing over anyone?

Downing is still the best english left winger and has international experience which is why he was taken. I dont think there is anything wrong with taking him and Henderson is not in the squad.

Lambert has walked but THIS was a planned walk because someone somewhere(can't say who) new as early as last week that Lerner was meeting with Lambert today and firmed up this week that Thursday ie would be the day of the "in depth talks"

Also Lambert's walking out happens only a few hours AFTER Martinez states he's staying at Wigan.... Possibly because he was told he hadn't got the job and Villa had moved on & found someone else, while he'd been talking to Liverpool??!!

SSN are way behind BTW over "reperesentatives" meeting up it would seem.

As I see it there are 3 lines of evidence....

1. Norwich kept this very quiet & the walking out bit is just a cover story for them actually accepting a deal with Villa over Lambert's departure,

under the radar - For the fans sake they want to say - "well we fought to keep him - he just walked"

2. Norwich just did their best to stop Lambert coming to Villa - and something about this week Wed/Thurs and his rolling contract meant he didn't need their "permission" to speak to Villa finally..... and if he resigned apart from 12 months compensation being payable possibly he could make himself available.

3. Lambert has indeed had a blazing row with Norwich and walked out last night. Again surely Lambert wouldn't walk if he was not extremely confident of landing the job with Villa?

There's a fair bit of evidence that this meeting was planned in advance and what's more the day he was to meet Lerner!....- we've also to add to the bits of ITK had someone coming out talking about his legal dept being involved with contracts been drawn up for Lambert with Villa who was a Gillingham fan IIRC & works for a firm of accountants - so why would he state lies? It now looks more likely he could have been correct.

MM also told us to expect drama, twists & turns the unexpected....... so maybe although Lambert is the obvious choice what has happened or perhaps HAD to happen fits that description.

We also don't know who the 3rd man is...but maybe that was just a back up Plan B...

We shall see.....

One thing of concern is that Lambert has now thrown his toys out of the pram and quit on two clubs in a row.

Will we be number 3?

Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

If another club comes in for him 4 years down the line - it will mean he has done well for us. If Manu, Chelsea, Arse, Spurs, Pool - come in for any villa manager - then hes probably going to go - you can't not recruit a manager - because he might move on 4 years later.....

Anyway - we haven't got him yet.........

it could still be Grayson or Mcdonald.

Will we be number 3?

Is it true that he has quit norwich... ? Sounds like a speculated rumour to me. However SSN did say he had a Fallout with the board wednesday.

If it didnt effect our transfer budget and we bought Holt in for £3/4m I dont really see the problem in it. Ok he's had only one season in the prem but he has carried on scoring goals like he has pretty much all his career. To compare him to Heskey is unfair, Heskey had about one season where he was prolific, he has nearly always struggled to score goals. Holt wont command wages like Heskey either.

We may have Bent but look what happened he got injured.

Will we be number 3?

Is it true that he has quit norwich... ? Sounds like a speculated rumour to me. However SSN did say he had a Fallout with the board wednesday.

Well one of the ITK'S on here - who has access to a Norwich board member - has said yes this has happened. - I beleive that part.

What I am dreading is Randy jetting back to the states - leaving it in Faulkners 'capable' hands:-

"Randy - Paul here, couldn't get paul lambert to sign - but that Mccarthy fella's still keen" :cry: