Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

He wouldn't be able to bench players at villa like he does at city without them kicking off. Gerrard dropping Ming's and Beundia illustrates the pressure of these types of decisions at a club like Villa , city drop Grealish and nothing is mentioned. 

City can afford to drop Grealish because they have a squad of elite players.  They also get to the latter stages of the CL, FA and League Cups so plenty of games to rotate.  Grealish couldn't play 50+ games a season anyway.

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

He wouldn't be able to bench players at villa like he does at city without them kicking off. Gerrard dropping Ming's and Beundia illustrates the pressure of these types of decisions at a club like Villa , city drop Grealish and nothing is mentioned. 

His system only works if you're the strongest team in the league. His style in our team and its Brighton. Lots of boring matches and struggling to score despite 60/70% possession. 

I'm not criticising him either, he only manages top teams therefore his style only needs to work managing top teams, lots of managers struggle with that so it's not to be sniffed at, and no one is turning down a £500m war chest, but it wouldn't work with us firstly, and it is simply not a level playing field to compare Gerrard to him. 

I'm a gardener, if I started a new gardening company tomorrow and Elon Musk also decided to start one at the same time his company would be 100x the size of mine by the end of the year and its not becuase he's a master gardener compared to me, it's because he's got unlimited resources to build. It's not a level playing field and to judge Gerrard against Pep is frankly crazy 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

But if he was at Villa he would be able to try his random big cup game tactics in League Cup games vs Rochdale and Bolton instead of Champions League quarter finals 😛

I have gone from indifference to hatred to them. They are probably going to walk the league and flunk out of the Champions League like they usually do.  No doubt they will take Ramsey from us in a couple of years, we are due another sale of a midfielder to them.  It is clear that guardiola is a great coach but he has only managed at elite clubs with mountains of cash, and the fact he hasn't worked his way up to the  top does make you question sometime his long term standings in the greatest ever managers list.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Grealish wasn't dropped he was rotated out 😉

Peps pressure will be internally from the players themselves, the fact is grealish doesn't kick up a fuss or make being dropped a story because he wants to be there playing for pep, he earns that through his man management skills 

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Grealish wasn't dropped he was rotated out 😉

Peps pressure will be internally from the players themselves, the fact is grealish doesn't kick up a fuss or make being dropped a story because he wants to be there playing for pep, he earns that through his man management skills 

Small part man management skills, large part ‘you get to play with De Bruyne and Haaland and Rodri and all the other best players in the world and have the closest thing to a cheat code for winning silverware so if you want to be a part of it, do what I say’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have gone from indifference to hatred to them. They are probably going to walk the league and flunk out of the Champions League like they usually do.  No doubt they will take Ramsey from us in a couple of years, we are due another sale of a midfielder to them.  It is clear that guardiola is a great coach but he has only managed at elite clubs with mountains of cash, and the fact he hasn't worked his way up to the  top does make you question sometime his long term standings in the greatest ever managers list.

Their very close to ruining the premier League as a competitive competition. Newcastle are going to be in with a shout as well judging by their owners wealth.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

They're an irrelevance for me still.

I make sure to tell every City fan as well. Not so much a football team anymore, just a sportswashing vehicle.

Them winning stuff has no meaning, but it's always fun when they don't because they should just win every competition every year.

The amount of clubs they've been able to buy round the world is a joke.

I had a misfortune to talking to a city fan at the Commonwealth's. He was both disappointed with Grealish's performances and also felt that he could have left us early and we should bare no ill will.  Yes we are all delighted to doff our hat to the great Manchester City and their divine right to buy all key players from other clubs in order for them to keep winning the league! Its the combination of total indifference in our hopes to become competitive again and general expectancy to win everything when 15 years ago they were shite, that boils my p**s.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I had a misfortune to talking to a city fan at the Commonwealth's. He was both disappointed with Grealish's performances and also felt that he could have left us early and we should bare no ill will.  Yes we are all delighted to doff our hat to the great Manchester City and their divine right to buy all key players from other clubs in order for them to keep winning the league! Its the combination of total indifference in our hopes to become competitive again and general expectancy to win everything when 15 years ago they were shite, that boils my p**s.

Fans of every other football club (including Villa) would be exactly the same in Man City's situation.

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That happened about 15 to 20 years ago for me 

Its long gone 

Europe and the top 6 is locked down but at least there's been some semblance of competition with regards to who wins the league. I can see City winning the next 5 titles to make it 9 out of 10. The league will end up like many European ones with a guaranteed winner from the off. 

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Europe and the top 6 is locked down but at least there's been some semblance of competition with regards to who wins the league. I can see City winning the next 5 titles to make it 9 out of 10. The league will end up like many European ones with a guaranteed winner from the off. 

Man Utd won 8 out of the first 11 Premier League titles.  It's been this way for a while.

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Every year bar the Leicester year its a competition between one obscenely rich team and another obscenely rich team 

People not liking where man city's money comes from seems to have woken them up as to how bullshit it all is 

I think the only league winning team I've enjoyed over the past 20 to 30 years has been wengers arsenal, they're all as bad as each other 

Man City aren't doing anything now that man utd weren't doing in the 90s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think he's admitted as much himself, at least that he needs good players to play his kind of football.

But in all honestly it's selling him short. He evolved the game, and not everyone can do what he has done, even if money is available. He has a distinct style and identity he imparts on his team, and he, if nor revolutionized, at least evolved European football with his positional approach, among other things.

Him and Klopp should be regarded as two of the best managers to appear IMO.

I suspect Nagelsmann will be up there challenging them too in due time. He's essentially a kid. 

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Man Utd won 8 out of the first 11 Premier League titles.  It's been this way for a while.

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Every year bar the Leicester year its a competition between one obscenely rich team and another obscenely rich team 

People not liking where man city's money comes from seems to have woken them up as to how bullshit it all is 

I think the only league winning team I've enjoyed over the past 20 to 30 years has been wengers arsenal, they're all as bad as each other 

Man City aren't doing anything now that man utd weren't doing in the 90s

I was replying to a post about the last 15-20 years which is slightly different to the 80s. I can't argue that Utd weren't overly dominant as they were and everyone still hates them. I think it then became more competitive from 2000-10 and that's when it really became a global brand as Serie A and La Liga fell behind in terms of global interest and competitiveness. 

City also appear to be better set up for long term success with their whole infrastructure, owning multiple teams and State backing. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Fans of every other football club (including Villa) would be exactly the same in Man City's situation.

Some would, some wouldn't. I love the Villa but love football just as much and would prefer clubs to be self sufficient, not supported by the super rich and the irony of a villa fan saying that isn't lost on me, we are guilty of it as well. 

15 hours ago, tinker said:

Some would, some wouldn't. I love the Villa but love football just as much and would prefer clubs to be self sufficient, not supported by the super rich and the irony of a villa fan saying that isn't lost on me, we are guilty of it as well. 

See that's where I'm the opposite

I love villa... I **** hate football and everything that its become

You listen to Perez and the Juve guy explain why they want / need the ESL and once you get over the anger from their sheer arrogance they're right when they describe what football is in the modern world -  and it's not where i am as a  38 year old Villa fan 

So Man City to me are completely irrelevant because I don't really care for any of it anymore, people can say they don't want man city to win a CL... I watched the final through 1 eye in an Irish bar and that was the only game I watched last season, I don't care about that trophy it's meaningless to me if man City won it I'll have forgetten within a couple of days, people complain about them dominating the league Cup, did you watch any of the 4 that they won in a row bar the final they beat us?  I couldn't even tell you who they played... 2022 was easy because they were both Liverpool vs Chelsea but can anyone name the 4 Cup finalists from 2021? It's all gone for me, it's dead 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

See that's where I'm the opposite

I love villa... I **** hate football and everything that its become

You listen to Perez and the Juve guy explain why they want / need the ESL and once you get over the anger from their sheer arrogance they're right when they describe what football is in the modern world -  and it's not where i am as a  38 year old Villa fan 

So Man City to me are completely irrelevant because I don't really care for any of it anymore, people can say they don't want man city to win a CL... I watched the final through 1 eye in an Irish bar and that was the only game I watched last season, I don't care about that trophy it's meaningless to me if man City won it I'll have forgetten within a couple of days, people complain about them dominating the league Cup, did you watch any of the 4 that they won in a row bar the final they beat us?  I couldn't even tell you who they played... 2022 was easy because they were both Liverpool vs Chelsea but can anyone name the 4 Cup finalists from 2021? It's all gone for me, it's dead 

Football team isn't something you choose if you are a 'serious' fan. There is a family/historical connection through your upbringing.

I do not begrudge a single City/Newcastle fan that still goes to games. What are they gonna do, take the shirt off and not enjoy the ride? Leave their loved club because it's owned by someone we see as immoral? 

We can get almost too moral about things, but at the end of the day, all we do is support 11 players once a week. That's as simple as it is. It's a hobby, 90 minutes of entertainment on a Saturday. Taking it any further is a bit much for me. 

If I was a City fan, I would definitely enjoy the success. They aren't evil for doing so. And I am sure the Man City fans could name the 11 that lost the CL final or the 11 that won the league with the AGUEROOOOO moment. 

• Like 1

yeah i don't begrudge man city fans but thats easy because i don't know any...

that said if you're an 8 year old man city from Cambridge who supports them because Grealish is your favourite player then you can **** off you little word removed

my overall feeling for city is its their owners money, their owner likes to spend that money and they win things, that's how football has always been, under the new rules put in place by the old guard they want the richest team in the league to get there by having diesel engine partners in south east asia - they are worse than city, id take city over man utd every day of the week

Â