Samir Carruthers

VillanousOne

His game is more eye-catching than Gardner's. That's the flair and it's easy to like a player of his style. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's potentially a much better player though, but I do have hopes for both of them.

Both different types of players but whenever i have watched Gardner he has never quite lived up to the hype and to be frank i have been disappointed with him while the few cameos i've seen of Carruthers he has instantly made me sit up in my chair and has looked a player right from the off.

Now whether thats down to the difference in player or actual difference in ability we will hopefully find out in the new season.

cant blame Gardner though he only really played under McLeish. Pirlo and Iniesta would struggle with his tactics.

want to see what he can do under Lambert

Very true, I just hope he can stay clear of injury next season. Gary has been so unlucky! If he stays clear of injury he'll get his chance, and this time being in the first team it will be football we'll be playing rather than that excuse for football under McLeish.

Just watched the Nextgen series. This guy is painful to listen to on interviews. Looks a great player though. Just wish he would calm down on the 'like' after every 3 words.

Remember Ashley Young's press conference when he signed for us? Brutal to listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember how direct he was when he came on against Liverpool under Mcleish - looked a really exciting prospect but never got a look in last season .

I think Carruthers is a useful option to have from the bench.

I think one of the reasons people are getting so excited about Carruthers is due to Villa lacking a decent player playing in his position and have done for some time, so he really does have a good opportunity to cement his place in the side if he plays well - not too much competition.

Edited by myko

I think one of the reasons people are getting so excited about Carruthers is due to Villa lacking a decent player playing in his position and have done for some time, so he really does have a good opportunity to cement his place in the side if he plays well - not too much competition.

Also the fact that his name is Samir Carruthers. 

What brilliant combination!

• Like 1

he played deeper in the nextgen/last season though. not as an attacking midfielder. be interesting to see where he gets a game if he does. i'd like to see him get his chance.

he played deeper in the nextgen/last season though. not as an attacking midfielder. be interesting to see where he gets a game if he does. i'd like to see him get his chance.

Really? I only ever really watched the highlights so didn't pick up on that... Maybe it was a conscious decision he made to have more chance of integrating into the 4-3-3 formation, with midfielders doing a bit of everything, that PL often sets out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit disappointed. I'd have liked to have seen him get a couple of run outs this year for Villa. Thought he'd maybe go on loan to a championship club. Guess he'll get more game time this way, which can't be a bad thing. Just thought I'd get to see how he'd do against prem opposition this season

Â