coda

Boehly to miss out on European football and sack Potter, hire Simeone to a massive contract and who will not suit their squad.

Waste huge sums and be chocked when there is no draft or all star game. Get in to FFP trouble and get bored. Look to sell.

Or they just win the CL this season and everything will be fine...

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I actually think Potter will get there with Chelsea and work out, 

He will be sacked long before then. They won't put up with being bottom half for long amd expect Madrid to wipe the floor with them too.

• Like 2

Chelsea have the same problem that Brighton had under Potter.

Lot's of possession that ultimately goes nowhere.

I've never really got why everyone got so excited by him at the start of the season. 

Wonderful to see Chelsea floundering though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Chelsea have the same problem that Brighton had under Potter.

Lot's of possession that ultimately goes nowhere.

I've never really got why everyone got so excited by him at the start of the season. 

Wonderful to see Chelsea floundering though. 

It actually did go somewhere though.

Brighto were top 4 under Potter this season and it looked like it finally started to click and then Chelsea appointed him.

When Chelsea appointed Potter we were only six games into the season, so can't read too much into Brighton being top four at that point, after the same amount of games last season Everton were top four, and the seaosn before that we and Leeds were top four after six games.

Potter was always a strange appointment, he's had one good season in English football which was last season, and even that wasn't that great, Brighton still had one of the worst home records in the league, and still went on long runs of bad form, other managers with less resources and less talented squads have done better.

Previous to that he had had two season where he barely did any better than Hughton did at Brighton, and at Swansea finished midtable in the Championship, Cooper then took over, lost McBurnie, and Dan James that summer, but still managed to do better taking them to Play-Off final.

As soon as Chelsea appoint an actual top manager they will probably immediately improve.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Brighto were top 4 under Potter this season and it looked like it finally started to click and then Chelsea appointed him.

He’s not going to last long enough at Chelsea for it to click.

Edit: Not saying I think Potter is a totally bad manager, just overrated and don't see how what he had done previously was enough to get him a job at a club like Chelsea and when I say 'As soon as Chelsea appoint an actual top manager they will probably immediately improve', I mean one more suited to the level of player they have and their ambitions.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

As soon as Chelsea appoint an actual top manager they will probably immediately improve.

In the short term but will they in the long term?

Depends on who they get.

• Like 1

Chelsea should be okay in the long term because of the resources they have, if next manager fails by their standards they can just sack him and bring someone else in, which is pretty much what they were doing in the Abramovich years and how they got their success, I think it's what a lot of clubs on the continent do as well, it's this country where there seems to be an obssession with having managers for years on end for the sake of stability, probably because of what Ferguson did at Man Utd.

23 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

As @useless said, we were only a few games into the season and many teams have had flying starts. 

Didn't Lambert win 4 or 5 games in a row (and get a new contract for it) the start of one season.

Potter is better than Lambert but I still think he's overrated and people got a bit carried away with the praise.

Chelsea could have and arguably should have appointed a better manager. 

Edited by Rds1983

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

As @useless said, we were only a few games into the season and many teams have had flying starts. 

Didn't Lambert win 4 or 5 games in a row (and get a new contract for it) the start of one season.

Potter is better than Lambert but I still think he's overrated and people got a bit carried away with the praise.

Chelsea could have and arguably should have appointed a better manager. 

I think Potter will turn it around if given time, but he won't be given time.

I'm really not sure why so many are convinced he'll turn it around. He's had longer than Emery and they are awful. 

That Mudryk looks absolutely terrible. They would have been far better off bringing back Lukaka. 

• Like 1

One thing I found funny yesterday was the banners celebrating John Terry, Frank Lampard and Drogba. They were badly faded rather like the club.  They'll probably be unreadable in a year or two. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm really not sure why so many are convinced he'll turn it around. He's had longer than Emery and they are awful. 

That Mudryk looks absolutely terrible. They would have been far better off bringing back Lukaka. 

I think because most think Potter is a good manager, a lot on this forum wanted him as our manager.  I think he’s been hindered by too many players as bizarre as that sounds and settling in so many and training, coaching and utilising all them.  I think a clear out and then a good summer, if he gets that chance, then they’ll be alright next season because they have a very talented squad as it should be given the money they have spent.  For me, it’s if he gets the time, I’m not convinced he’ll last if this continues…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wedge said:

about 30-40 of us went right past their main pub the Chelsea Pensioner as well but it was all good-natured (one adult Chelsea fan wearing actual replica kit socks up to his knees pleasingly got a good ribbing!)

It was John Terry wasn't it! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, useless said:

Chelsea should be okay in the long term because of the resources they have, if next manager fails by their standards they can just sack him and bring someone else in, which is pretty much what they were doing in the Abramovich years and how they got their success, I think it's what a lot of clubs on the continent do as well, it's this country where there seems to be an obssession with having managers for years on end for the sake of stability, probably because of what Ferguson did at Man Utd.

Depends how you define OK

Their resources paper over the cracks, so does the trophy every couple of years

There's a mental issue at the club deep rooted, they'll be good win something...then they'll give up playing and drop off, they can sustain anything 

But I think that's also the case with the impact of them missing out on CL, it'll be inconsequential ultimately, they win the CL and don't really get better, they miss out on it and don't really get worse 

This season they've reminded me of a Premier League version of what we were in Xia's first season, new owner, going crazy in the transfer market, expected to do well because of that, but failing quite miserably, they like us seemed to make a lot of signings without much thought, that's something they will need to improve upon.

Â