London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Great Britain's Holly Bleasdale on BBC Radio 5 live on finishing sixth in the women's pole vault and getting engaged the same night: "It was the best evening of my life! I was really happy with coming sixth. I didn't realise at the time where I had come. My boyfriend took me down a little canal which was very pretty then got down on one knee and proposed. It was so pretty. I said yes obviously! "

BBC :D

Great Britain's Holly Bleasdale on BBC Radio 5 live on finishing sixth in the women's pole vault and getting engaged the same night: "It was the best evening of my life! I was really happy with coming sixth. I didn't realise at the time where I had come. My boyfriend took me down a little canal which was very pretty then got down on one knee and proposed. It was so pretty. I said yes obviously! "

The 'I was really happy with coming sixth' statement is worrying. Losers attitude. Why should we fund somebody who is happy with finishing sixth?!

The 'I was really happy with coming sixth' statement is worrying. Losers attitude. Why should we fund somebody who is happy with finishing sixth?!

2072040-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

She's really young and has just come 6th out of the entire world.

I'd say she's quite entitled to be pleased with herself. Doesn't mean she's not striving to be better just because she can reflect positively on her performance

Because she's young, has made huge improvements in the last 18 months and is an excellent prospect for the future?

To play devil's advocate here a little I was also getting slightly aggrieved at the amount British swimmers who got to finals and were tipped to be medal hopefuls who also made the same comments. They all continually said the same thing in their interviews: "Yea, nice to get to a final and happy to finish fifth (or sixth)...taking part that counts". To me that got tedious and I started to detect that Team GB were resigned to not winning any golds in the pool.

Sure they did well but it seemed they knew they wouldn't win gold.

No it wasn't Boardman it was David Brailsford who joked that we had special round wheels and they fell for it seemingly forgetting that all the equipment used has to be commercially available.

When did that rule come in? Didn't Graham Obree used to make his own bikes out of washing machine parts?

There is a rule about bikes having to be commercially available but the only place you can get the British bikes is via a custom order from the British track cycling website and as you can imagion, they cost thousands of pounds.

Bicks - I'm not sure when it became a rule but I read it recently so it was fresh in my memory and yes Obree did once do that.

In relation to the rule about the bikes being commercially available, I've not read the rules so I don't know how they are worded but it wouldn't really matter how expensive they are or few places there are that you can buy them.

They aren't aiming them at mass production or sales, the average Joe wouldn't buy them not least due to the lack of brakes they just have to be available to buy if people wished.

It is just a way on ensuring that nobody has a secret technological edge but this is all a bit irrelevent anyway as the bikes are inspected post race other than the wheels but the wheels aren't custom they are purchased by the British team and exactly the same as those used by several other teams.

Yes, the Brownlees did brilliantly. Gold never looked in doubt, it was a pity for the time penalty on one brother, as we could well have had silver as well. Fantastic effort. :)

Chuffed for the Brownlees, popular local lads up here. My club (Horsforth Harriers) runs a 10K every year, and Alistair has entered (and won by a street) a few times. Jonny may yet be even better - and they have a third brother coming up soon.

Â