• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent (for N'Zogbia 78)
    • Gardner (for Albrighton 78)
    • Bannan (for Petrov 84)

Very pleased with the 3 points - great result.

Good to see Cuellar keep his place and with Albrighton, N'Zog and Ireland we have players who can create chances.

Well played to Mcleish for making attacking substitutions for a change!

Great to see a Villa team without that useless lump Heskey as well!

UTV. Happy New Year All!

unreal result.

ive been staying quiet on mcleish. i didnt want him, and havent been particularly impressed so far with his signings or style of play. However after such a period of upheaval, and as long as we stayed at least hovering around mid table, then i was going to support him and give him the summer to work further with the squad. Its good that we slowly seem to be turning a corner.

And finally we got a performance from Ireland. He looked better against Arsenal aswell. An AM of his ilk when on form is just what our first 11 has been crying out for. I pray it continues.

And Gary Gardner got on the pitch! I want to see what a central 3 of Petrov, Ireland, Gardner looks like over 90 mins. What an epic day. Dirty chelsea scum didnt know what hit them. UTV.

unreal result.

ive been staying quiet on mcleish. i didnt want him, and havent been particularly impressed so far with his signings or style of play. However after such a period of upheaval, and as long as we stayed at least hovering around mid table, then i was going to support him and give him the summer to work further with the squad. Its good that we slowly seem to be turning a corner.

And finally we got a performance from Ireland. He looked better against Arsenal aswell. An AM of his ilk when on form is just what our first 11 has been crying out for. I pray it continues.

And Gary Gardner got on the pitch! I want to see what a central 3 of Petrov, Ireland, Gardner looks like over 90 mins. What an epic day. Dirty chelsea scum didnt know what hit them. UTV.

While I agree it was great to see Gardner on today, Clark was excellent again. Hope this style of football continues and think most of us will be won around. We dont mind losing, but the performances at Spuds (who was right midfield :shock: ) and Liverpool were totally negative and never want to see that again

I predicted a win. Glad to see some of the chronic purveyors of negativity give credit where it's due. It helps remind me that you love the club, you're just mad at current problems and think that getting rid of some club employee(s) are the only way forward. I disagree with you, but like being reminded that you want AVFC success.

Very encouraging day today. I watched on my computer "live". The game plays on delay in the states, so I recorded it and will watch again later.

A few comments on Halsey, the Laws of the Game, and other posts on this thread.

Offside - The poster who thought it was offside is technically correct that it doesn't matter if the player is behind the teammate that gets the last touch. It's critical whether the player is behind the ball. However, almost always the teammate with the last touch is behind the ball (as was the case today). So, if Bent was behind Ireland, he was also behind the ball, and therefore, onside.

PK - What was Dunne thinking?

PK - Most referees would give the one on terry against Bent, it's psychologically easy to give matching PK's.

Foul by Petrov first half. Not a foul. He placed himself strategically between the ball and the opponent. really poor call.

Handball by Terry. If you stop the play and give the foul, you can give the Send off and PK, but if you let play continue you cannot give the foul. You can't go back and caution because that would mean you played advantage through the handball, but by FA board decision there is no advantage greater than a pk. So, Halsey had two choices. Red card and PK or wait and see...if goal goes in, ignore the handball by interpreting it as not deliberate. Some would rather have the red and PK, but there's a good argument to just keep the goal. I'm OK with Halsey going either way on this one. But if he allows the goal, he can't then come back and send off or caution Terry for a foul that, if it occurred, would have stopped play before the goal was scored.

The most obvious display of a lack of neutrality was a small matter after Halsey did a terribly stupid thing and gave a throw in when the ball had not gone out. Two possible courses. If there was no whistle, then you could give a free kick to Chelsea because the AVFC player handled the ball to take the throw in. But since Halsey gave a drop ball, I assume he had incorrectly given a whistle for the throw in. But he dropped the ball to a chelsea player. Now, there is no law that says you have to drop a ball between two equidistant and aware opponents, it's legal to drop the ball for a GK to pick up for example. But when there is a 50/50 call or referee error, it's pretty clear bias to drop it for only one team to play.

Sadly I am not able to travel at the moment but luckily I watched the whole match on Sky, as for once it was the featured match as 'Footbal First - Game of the Day'.

This was a magnificent effort by every man in the team. a masterclass in tactical planning by our Manager (yes Alex McLeish - he is the Manager of Aston Villa) and a set of players sticking to the plan, playing for the team, the Manager and us. Harrowing, closing down, defending like Lions and the key; exposing one of Sky's chosen, with naked pace and attacking guile.

Just brilliant!

And, yes it's been said many times on here today (well mostly yesterday now), in Stephen Ireland we had true quality to match anything Chelsea had. A player who has vision, was comfortable on the ball and has an eye for a pass. He also showed desire throughout, chasing down and harrowing the Chelsea midfield. He scored at a critical time to get us back in the match after we had been denied our first penalty and then intercepted the ball to run free, unselflishly releasing Darren Bent in the dying minutes of the game for our 3rd goal. A true 94 minute total, quality performance. Lets see the Manager show some faith in him again now and Stephen, lets see some more of this type of performance. You can do it!

For the 1st time in what seems like age's I feel proud to show off the C&B.

Although I have continued to wear the colour's and spout off to anyone who would listen that we are in transition I was starting to believe that we might never come good.

It may only be one result but it's a big one and it will send out a message that we are capable of competing.

Steven Ireland where have you been for 18 month's? MOTM by far, stay fit and out of the headlines for stupidity. Continue playing like that and you will soon find yourself once again pulling on a ManC shirt!

Huge result.

Yes, Chelsea were poor and have been so for a while now. But AMC saw where their weaknesses lay and set his stall out accordingly. For me he got it bang on and applaud him for it.

Massive boost for SI, which you have to suspect may have been coming and nice to see Bent do the do when gifted it on a plate. We rode our luck from time to time, but all in all this was a quality performance.

on the Terry handball - I have no faith whatsoever that halsey would have seen the handball let alone paid red card and penalty so crediting Terry with the assist was best case scenario!

In the end though it was far more enjoyable having him on the pitch fit the entire match!

Don't wanna put a dampener on things as I'm ecstatic about the result,but my sister was at the game and said we were really poor.

Well she is a woman afterall; what would she know? :lol:

All jokes aside I'm not sure what game she was watching because it could of been the same one as me. Yes we had quiet times but you are going to have them even against an underfiring Chelsea team who can afford to bring Lampard and Torres on as subs.

Ahem, tipoeing quietly away from the above very very silly exchange, and back to the match...

I only get to see matches in London these days and, due to personal disorganisation, this was only my 2nd of the season (the first being QPR).

I was sitting in Matthew Harding Lower, which is VERY tribal Chelsea territory, looking across to the Villa contingent on the opposite corner, so I had a slightly uncomfortable time hiding my glee at Villa's excellent performance amidst a load of raucous fans chanting "we are the boys from CFC". But, strangely, the chanting died down and they fell to complaining bitterly about Villas-Boas and some of the players. Sturridge in particular was getting some stick. They were also inconsolable that they were going down to Villa, who they obviously see as Chelsea's whipping boys after the 7-1 a couple of seasons ago and the cup defeat.

There were so many excellent performances yesterday it seems wrong to pick out a man of the match but it has to be Ireland, who ran the show in midfield and played with a confidence we just haven't seen ever in his time with us so far. Great effort from N'Zogbia too, although he is still a bit hit and miss in my book, and some towering performances from some older hands like Petrov, Cuellar, Dunne (who nevertheless lost a few points for the penalty) and Guzan. Was good to see GG's debut as well. He looked pretty assured from the word go after he came on.

Full marks to McLeish for the tactics and substitutions and much kudos to the Villa fans for their usual fantastic show - loved it when they started the "handball" chant after a rather hopeful call by the Chelsea fans, and I can report that the "shit support My Lord" routine went down very badly in Mattew Harding Lower, much to the pleasure of this Villa fan keeping his head down but enjoying the show immensely in private!

Here's hoping this is a corner turned...

Happy New Year to all Villa fans everywhere.

Also, when Ireland passed to Bent for the 3rd, was that not offside ??

No. Bent was behind Ireland when he played the ball to him.

The law covering offside makes no reference to whether a player is "behind" when the ball is played.

I didn't think it was offside at the time, so I guess I'd need to see it again.

Yes it does.

As there is only one player (the keeper) between Bent and the goal and he is in the opposition half (obviously), he needs to be either level with or behind the ball when it is played to be considered "onside".

Here is law 11 from fifa.com

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

[*:07bf7fd3c7]he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:
    [*:07bf7fd3c7]he is in his own half of the field of play or
    [*:07bf7fd3c7]he is level with the second-last opponent or
    [*:07bf7fd3c7]he is level with the last two opponents

There is nothing relating to the direction the ball is moving in, nor whether the player is behind the team-mate. If you are correct about the positions of the other players, then the answer to CI's question is "yes".

There is nothing relating to the direction the ball is moving in, nor whether the player is behind the team-mate. If you are correct about the positions of the other players, then the answer to CI's question is "yes".

Except if you watch a replay he wasn't nearer to the opponents' goal line than the ball.

Â