• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent (for N'Zogbia 78)
    • Gardner (for Albrighton 78)
    • Bannan (for Petrov 84)

Macandally - sorry to be rude here - but just bog off mate !.

We were superb today - for god sake give credit where it is due. So we didn't go for it - so I must have dreamed Gabby missing a one on one, Albrighton having a similar shot to the one he scored the other week, saved at the near post, Gabby missing quite an easy header early on , a cross that defleted off Collins and crept wide with Cech stranded ...... - shall I go on, I can name more you know.............

That was one SUPERB peformance, on the back of a VERY GOOD one against Stoke, and a VERY GOOD AND UNLUCKY performance against Arsenal.

If you just want to slag off the team and the manager for no bloody reason mate - then be my guest, but you come across as a prize prick !.

I have been just as vocal as everyone this year with the dross we have been served up, but the last three performances have been far from dross - so just accept it !

Sorry mate, it was a good win but if you want to get carried away with that, good luck to you. The opportunity was there throughout, we didnt go for it for some reason until it fell in our lap. When your euphoria (and the babycham) wears off, you might see that.

Sorry I am not one of the "hang myself" when we lose, "get a tattoo" when we win extreme brigade.

Good result, still a hell of a lot of work to do.

Think its just confidence though mate, our performances in the last 3 games have been pointing to this - we just needed to believe we could do it and not just hope for a point. Ireland in his usual enigmatic way was the catalist we needed.

We have been crying out for a link between midfield and attack, today Ireland provided that. Lot of talk about Bannan but he links defence to midfield too much for my liking.

I agree that if Ireland can turn in that type of performance consistantly, we can play a totally different style of football which will bring much better results than the previous peformances.

Oh, fiorgot to say, 19 games, half way through - the table doesnt lie.

9th - at worst 10th - going into 2nd half of season.

Tell you what, if we can play as poorly as that and still be in with a chance of a top 7 finish - then maybe things are looking up !

Fantastic, best performance under Mcleish by a mile, we had a bit of a dodgy 30 mins because we were sitting deep but we looked so dangerous with Ireland looking like the playmaker we all hoped he would be, that's his best match in about 3 years!

Guzan - 6

Warnock - 7

Dunne - 6

Collins - 7

Cuellar - 8

N'Zogbia - 4

Ireland - 9

Clark - 8

Petrov - 8

Albrighton - 7

Agbonlahor - 8

What a fantastic end to a miserable year.

Ireland MOTM, well chuffed for him.

Thought everyone did well (but for the occasional ****-up like Dunne on their penalty), but special mentions go to Gabby, Petrov and Warnock, the latter who I think played one of his best games for us today.

Great to see a Villa team with players like Clark, Albrighton, Bannan and Gardner, a team with LOTS and LOTS of potential.

Happy new year! :cheers:

well done to the boys, could have gone either way, had torres scored with his first touch of the ball i doubt we would have got back into it but then, as posted earlier its finally a team resembling what 9/10 people wanted from amc from the start, 2 wingers, a solid centre midfield and a stronger defence (although i still think collins poor positional sense leaves us open as he often has to make last ditch tackles and usually gives away the foul, we would be better with cuellar at cb and another RB)

gonna enjoy this result, and looking forward to what will be a very tough match against a very good team in swansea on monday.

and this off John Motson

John motson ' chelsea really let it slip today'
:angry:

Quick word for Carlos, I hope we offer him a new contract

this

I love King Carlos, he's so reliable, so committed. He's come in after a long period out and has hit the ground running. brilliant.

Can't wait to see his twitter replies to Mata. Was hilarious last week

I'll say on here, what i see on the field, as most do.

but when a player rams your comments back down your throat like Ireland has done to many of us today, me included...then I'm highly delighted.

Stephen Ireland has put a peg in the ground now, he shows he can do it against the best.... lets see more of it Steve.

special praise to Petrov an honest lad who gives everything.He deserves his captains praise.

Absolutely beaming. Magnificent performance by everyone, especially Ireland. Have not stopped smiling!

BTW, did anyone think it was an absolute stone-waller on Bent about 30 seconds before Petrov scored?

Macandally - sorry to be rude here - but just bog off mate !.

We were superb today - for god sake give credit where it is due. So we didn't go for it - so I must have dreamed Gabby missing a one on one, Albrighton having a similar shot to the one he scored the other week, saved at the near post, Gabby missing quite an easy header early on , a cross that defleted off Collins and crept wide with Cech stranded ...... - shall I go on, I can name more you know.............

That was one SUPERB peformance, on the back of a VERY GOOD one against Stoke, and a VERY GOOD AND UNLUCKY performance against Arsenal.

If you just want to slag off the team and the manager for no bloody reason mate - then be my guest, but you come across as a prize prick !.

I have been just as vocal as everyone this year with the dross we have been served up, but the last three performances have been far from dross - so just accept it !

To be honest, doesnt matter what I say does it? You will be away with the fairies until the next defeat. Boom or bust is what its called.

I am not slagging off anybody, I am saying the game as I saw it but if you would rather do this post on poster shit then crack on.

Personally, I am going to go away happy with an unexpected 3 points and have a beer. A happy new year to you and all on here.

I hope Terry is reminded of his previous comment about us looking tired late on, bitch!

I'd forgotten that quote :D:D:D:D

Boot and other foot I think.

If Ireland can hang onto that performance and bring it every time we play then I would say he can make a massive difference to our prospects for the rest of the season. Just a bit of outside the box thinking combined with the harrying and chasing lost causes and presenting for the ball - a brilliant combination.

Ireland was brilliant and I thought he and N'Zogbia combined very well for his goal and on a number of occasions.

While we rode our luck at times today it really was a rearguard-inspired victory and apart from Dunne's brain fart it was as close to a faultless defensive performance that I have seen from the Villa since our 1-0 win at Old Trafford two seasons ago. Stephen Warnock in particular was superb and earned Sturridge and early bath and helped Dunne keep the Drogba show under wraps.

Guzan made some superhuman saves today and I was gutted for him that he went the right way for the penalty but it somehow squeezed under him.

Bloody elated with that result and for me probably one of the first real feelgood moments of the season.

Oh and for those who haven't seen it, this is the content of Cuellar's Twitter convseration with Mata during the week, courtesy of Vital Villa

Hi @juanmata10 Hope u`ve all ready for New Year`s Eve.It`s going to give me much grief embitter ur night ahaha U must to be ready crack!

To which Mata had to reply

Hi @cuellar24!! It`s a shame you have to go home tired and angry on New Year`s Eve…;-). Be ready!! #Chelsea#AstonVilla

cuellar replied

@juanmata10 I'll return tired because I wont stop running celebrating #AstonVillaGoals and angry cos after the match u wont give me ur shirt

Â