All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

I've heard that Keane and Petrov squared up after the game on Sunday because Petrov doesn't pass the ball forward enough. Keane was making runs and not getting the ball. Having 2 non creative CM while do this. He needs to go back to being the screen in front of the back four and let Gardner do the box to box stuff. Only AM thinks he can be the player Celtic had!!

hahahahahahah

that sounds like bullshit.

It came from a player so believe it or not. Watch the game and see how many times keane is going mad at not getting the ball. And have you ever seen Petrov play? his favourite ball is sideways. I get mad watching him so imagine someone like keane who is always looking for little passes.

*scratches chin*

Well if there was any animosity about Petrov's inability to pass forward it is well justified, then again you could just play someone alongside him that plays those balls and have Petrov triangle with another player to get the ball out...

Petrov slows and stifles our play but it is up to management to get the best from him and the tactic clearly revolves around Petrov 'starting' moves.

I think people are too quick to get on his back. He's having a decent season, scored a few goals, got a couple of assists and has the most interceptions in the league.

I think he was playing a lot better when he had Delph and especially Herd next to him. Both those players have their faults but they both had the athletic ability and pace to get around the pitch trying to win the ball, this left petrov to get forward more.

I don't think Gardner is suited to a defensive role in midfield and I don't think Clark is mobile enough. So recently petrov has had to be more defensive and I think that's effected his game a bit.

It's an area that needs improvement for next season but I don't believe petrov deserves some of the stick he gets.

Opta Sports @OptaJoe

88 - Stylian Petrov has made more interceptions than any other player in the Premier League. Anticipation

No surprise. He's about the only player in our squad that seems to have an intelligent football brain.

Opta Sports @OptaJoe

88 - Stylian Petrov has made more interceptions than any other player in the Premier League. Anticipation

No surprise. He is an excellent reader of the game.

Over all he has had a good season and as comfortably been our best player.

We'll certainly miss him when he is no longer here but based on this season I'd think he will be around for at least another season.

• 1 month later...

Nobody seems to have mentioned Petrov's performance on Saturday.

Let me start by saying that broadly this season he has been one of our better players (admittedly not sayin much). He is experience is essential to our midfield and we miss him when he's not there.

However his performance was really really bad on Sat. On at least 5 occasions I say him walking back towards our goal as the Arsenal midfield streamed past him. He was also walking when Gibbs got in for the first goal.

For a centre mid that is inexcusable -

Now Father Abraham said he saw him limping heavily after the game which would explain the performance but the fact is if he was injured what the **** was he doing on the pitch.

Let me start by saying that broadly this season he has been one of our better players (admittedly not sayin much). He is experience is essential to our midfield and we miss him when he's not there.

However his performance was really really bad on Sat. On at least 5 occasions I say him walking back towards our goal as the Arsenal midfield streamed past him. He was also walking when Gibbs got in for the first goal.

Now Father Abraham said he saw him limping heavily after the game which would explain the performance but the fact is if he was injured what the **** was he doing on the pitch.

These are my thoughts as well. He should win player of the season, just for his general consistency (always around the 7/10 mark).

Saturday was possibly the first time I have seen him put in a really bad shift (which if mentioned above he was injured then understandable).

Was so surprised to see Herd come off from holding midfield and Gardner put into that role. In my eyes it would have been better leaving Herd on, Gardner as the advanced midfielder and Petrov to go off. It even looked as if Petrov thought it would be him going off. Started to move towards the dugout when the board was produced, only to then see Herd's number appear.

Every time we play one of the top 6 teams Petrov seems to utterly vanish, he and Herd only seem to work as a pairing against really terrible opposition, even Gardener has provided little of late when he has played.

But this may well be down to our tactics and lack of movement as it feels like we have no heart to our team, playing Heskey doesn't help, maybe playing Petrov when injured as he apparently was Saturday is also stupid but whatever the case something is very very wrong.

If all of our midfield is closing down well and even doing the most basic of passing we would have been a damn site better, but players seem to vanish.

Saturday Heskey lumbered and did no running, Petrov was half arse, Gabby would get the ball run into a cul-de-sac totally isolated and then sulk for 10mins. No-one seems to work for the team, no one seems to work for McCleish.

These are my thoughts as well. He should win player of the season, just for his general consistency (always around the 7/10 mark).

Saturday was possibly the first time I have seen him put in a really bad shift (which if mentioned above he was injured then understandable).

Was so surprised to see Herd come off from holding midfield and Gardner put into that role. In my eyes it would have been better leaving Herd on, Gardner as the advanced midfielder and Petrov to go off. It even looked as if Petrov thought it would be him going off. Started to move towards the dugout when the board was produced, only to then see Herd's number appear.

Hutton was the man marking Gibbs, he then lost Gibbs and Gibbs ran into our box and scored. Given should have saved it, but Gibbs was being tracked by Hutton and then he let him go. So Petrov gets a pass on that particular gripe although I though he was poor in the game.

Hutton was the man marking Gibbs, he then lost Gibbs and Gibbs ran into our box and scored. Given should have saved it, but Gibbs was being tracked by Hutton and then he let him go. So Petrov gets a pass on that particular gripe although I though he was poor in the game.

Nope sorry - watch it again and look at the effort Stan puts in to stop Gibbs getting his shot in - non existent. He did that quite a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdJNRxiYHKs

As I said overall I am a Stan fan.

However it makes me angry that he has been allowed to play this shit. If he was injured then I feel sorry for him. But does that mean that Eck would rather play a clearly injured player than have two kids in centre of park? Surely this is taking the austerity too far?

He should be put out to pasture along with Heskey

He does not have the legs to play in a 4-4-2 so if you do play him your forced to play 4-3-3/4-5-1 his place is guaranteed week in week out because lets face it there isnt exactly competition for places the team picks itself

He's been a good servant to the club but fresh legs are needed

Nope sorry - watch it again and look at the effort Stan puts in to stop Gibbs getting his shot in - non existent. He did that quite a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdJNRxiYHKs

As I said overall I am a Stan fan.

However it makes me angry that he has been allowed to play this shit. If he was injured then I feel sorry for him. But does that mean that Eck would rather play a clearly injured player than have two kids in centre of park? Surely this is taking the austerity too far?

Nope your wrong, this very issue was discussed on the Irish version of match of the day and your clip isn't long enough to show it. As your clip is too late, what exactly is Hutton doing over there marking no one? He was following Gibbs then he lost him and ran towards the corner flag for some strange reason. Hutton was marking Gibbs and let him go while pointing to Gibbs, so as I said Hutton and Givens fault not Petrovs.

I'm a big fan of Stan and feel he has been one of our better players this season, but he has to do better on that goal. Not sure why he just stops as Gibbs goes through, at least try and track him so you narrow the angle in which he could put the ball int the box.

Ok happy to agree to disagree - not a big issue.

Also happy to agree that Hutton and Given are also at fault. But in my eyes it ends up with Stan being the only man who can put in a challenge on Gibbs and he is left flat footed.

His effort at trying to stop the shot is disappointing to me and was symptomatic of the rest of his performance.

Stan probably has more heart than the rest of them combined which is why it concerns me to see him playing like that.

Actually it concerns me to see any Villa player playing like that. And I'm not trying to make a scapegoat of him either - most of the team were all over the place - this is just one chance that led to a goal but their running off the ball had our entire midfield and defence in ribbons.

Its also Petrov that jumps out the way and turns his back for Arteta's free kick. If him and Gardenr had stayed together it wouldnt have got through the wall. I hate the way players turn their backs for free kicks.

Ok happy to agree to disagree - not a big issue.

Also happy to agree that Hutton and Given are also at fault. But in my eyes it ends up with Stan being the only man who can put in a challenge on Gibbs and he is left flat footed.

His effort at trying to stop the shot is disappointing to me and was symptomatic of the rest of his performance.

Stan probably has more heart than the rest of them combined which is why it concerns me to see him playing like that.

Actually it concerns me to see any Villa player playing like that. And I'm not trying to make a scapegoat of him either - most of the team were all over the place - this is just one chance that led to a goal but their running off the ball had our entire midfield and defence in ribbons.

I am not a big Stan fan. I think he has never had the engine to be a top player in the Premier League and his repeated inclusion by manager after manager has been to our detriment. I do think, on the odd occasion that we play it properly like Plop away a few seasons back when we won 3-1, Stan in a 3 man CM can be effective.

He was massively at fault for the Gibbs goal. He effectively showed him inside when the outside run, which is what Gibbs took was always the easier and more threatening. Once beaten, Stan is not (and never has had the legs to) going to get back at someone like Gibbs. Reminded me of the poor effort that he made against Utd for their second goal in the Carling Cup final.

And I completely agree with the above poster that it should have been Stan that came of and not Herd. Not only would this have been the obvious sub - as Stan was knackered and always will be after 60 mins - but Herd and Gardner would have been much better balanced and would have allowed Gardner to play in his more normal position. McTool f***ing up again and he is going to ruin Gardner by asking him to play DCM just as he has done with Delph.