All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

He's surviving on the luxury of us being poor for some time. That does not make him good. Our team has literally been built to accommodate him playing for a season and a half and that is one of our main problems IMO

Been comfortably our best performer this season. Never gives less than a 100% and leads by example. If we had more players with Petrovs attitude we'd be far higher up the league. Its a shame that he probably only has a season or two left with us. Seems nailed on to win the player of the year award.

In the past I have been critical of Petrov and I actually thought he had had it. No doubt when surrounded by Young, Milner and Downing he looked the weak link.

However this season you cannot be critical he has consistently been our best midfielder. One of the few who can find a man from 5 yards. Also been getting forward well and creating some chances/getting the odd goal.

Obviously he is not playing the holding role this season which is why we are seeing him play his more natural game.

Dont get me wrong he is no world beater and not good enough to get us where we all want to be. But he has done us proud this season no doubt.

People asking for him to leave I think he would make a great bench option like Giggs for United.

It's likely that in the summer another player will become a starter from our youth. Assuming Gardner is Petrovs replacement we would need experience in the ranks as well just in case. petrov is that answer. You wot find another experienced prem midfielder who is happy to play less football.

Just as we may have Clark at the back with maybe just one of cuellar dune and Collins remaining we need experience. samba? And who else?

Replacing for new is all well and good but if we want strength in depth Petrov (if happy to) would be ideal bench material for us. Extend his playing career at the top by a couple of seasons and help guide our young players and also have presence in the dressing room.

On that basis I would want Gabby and Bent to start with Gabby as captain. He leads by example because he's a villain.

Petrov is fair notch down in quality from Giggs.

If we want to move forward in the summer then Petrov has to be sold.

Newcastle is the benchmark for us now.

Petrov is a hard grafting, honest individual but his negativity and lack of vision holds us back. His first reaction is always to pass backwards and give somebody else responsibility and he sets the tone for a dull, stodgy, predictable midfield unit. Get rid please !

Petrov is a hard grafting, honest individual but his negativity and lack of vision holds us back. His first reaction is always to pass backwards and give somebody else responsibility and he sets the tone for a dull, stodgy, predictable midfield unit. Get rid please !

i'd take him over the likes of Dunne, Collins and Warnock any day.

Regardless of the manager, regardless of the role he's asked to do, regardless of if he's been dropped to the bench, this guy gives nothing short of 100% for the club.

He's been written off by a few but still battles his way back into our team.

Wow I can't believe the logic of some on here. He looks decent in our midfield because everyone else is rubbish so get rid of him.

What we left with then? just the rubbish!

Petrov is never going to be a top 6 player but he's a decent prem midfielder. Our problem is we're playing a inexperienced centre back alongside him in midfield. Until we get a proper defensive midfielder then Petrov is going to be exposed. As good a defensive prospect as clark is (and I think he can be excellent) he is a terrible midfielder who makes so many hospital passes it's untrue.

Keep Petrov until we have something better to replace him with and play Gardener alongside him and we may start winning some games.

I've heard that Keane and Petrov squared up after the game on Sunday because Petrov doesn't pass the ball forward enough. Keane was making runs and not getting the ball. Having 2 non creative CM while do this. He needs to go back to being the screen in front of the back four and let Gardner do the box to box stuff. Only AM thinks he can be the player Celtic had!!

I've heard that Keane and Petrov squared up after the game on Sunday because Petrov doesn't pass the ball forward enough. Keane was making runs and not getting the ball. Having 2 non creative CM while do this. He needs to go back to being the screen in front of the back four and let Gardner do the box to box stuff. Only AM thinks he can be the player Celtic had!!

hahahahahahah

that sounds like bullshit.

hahahahahahah

that sounds like bullshit.

It came from a player so believe it or not. Watch the game and see how many times keane is going mad at not getting the ball. And have you ever seen Petrov play? his favourite ball is sideways. I get mad watching him so imagine someone like keane who is always looking for little passes.

He is part of the problem with the lack of movement and his constant passing backwards.. I don't mind holding possession by passing back but he does it so often that it makes me think he does it to shirk responsibility and put pressure on the rest.

It's baffling really.. even when he isn't under pressure he takes forever on the ball and eventually gets closed down so he quickly passes back again.