Martin O'Neill

maqroll

As I posted in the other thread. Feel sorry for him or whatever reason it didnt work for him and he may have reached the time when his abilities diminish

Another manager may unfortunately be able to turn their results around

Adam Johnson, right now he's looking like a massive hype job. Is it another case of a shit O'neill signing?

he was never anything at City, fact they replaced him with Scott Sinclair shows the level City regarded him as. Except Arjen Robben ive never seen a more predictable winger

Not sure if serious...?

Things can't get a whole lot worse for Sunderland. I'm never one for sacking a manager this late on in the season, but in this particular case it can't do them any harm. They were going down as it stood. 

I hold no grudge against O'Neill, not really, never have. But I shan't be shedding any tears either. 

If he is such a shit manager and person I am amazed that people are still so pissed off he left us. Very little objectivity regarding him

Not that he left us, HOW he left us.

word removed.

You mean when he got sacked? You don't get compensation for walking out.

We never sacked him.

Exactly, and that is the whole point. He quit ( and a pretty shitty point) so left with nothing. Then after discussing with his lawyers decided to make a case for compensation.

Anyway, that's very old news. Wish they'd have kept him a few more weeks if I'm honest but pleased he's getting a but crap this morning.

Hearing the MON news last night has given me a spring in my step this morning.  It's going to be amusing watching his media friends commentary on how it was not his fault, how the restrictions put in place by Ellis Short's communist regime prevented him from doing his job, and all the other inevitable bullshit that will follow, bar actually reporting that he has done a pretty lousy job up at Sunderland.

MON is a cheque book manager who has paid over the odds for players and, with the assistance of John Robertson, has managed to get the best out of them.  John Robertson goes, MON is very average.

Buying players and not playing them was odd, but not as odd as hoarding wingers and playing them all across your midfield.  It's been suggested on here that the making of Milner into a central midfielder could have been a fluke - I strongly agree with this.  He has played wingers all over the team at Sunderland as well.

However, I believe, and I've said this many times before, Martin O'Neill's downfall is that he can't manage a squad.  He can't manage tactical substitutions.  With the assistance of John Robertson, he could set up 11 players and a pretty good team, but with the physical demand of today's game, they will always burn out around February/March.

Which is incredibly coincidental, as MON's only real credentials is winning League Cups.  In February.  If those cup finals were in April/May, he would never have had a sniff at them...

Edited by MMFy
  • Like 3

Not happy about this at all. They were on a fast-track to the Championship with THEIR run-in and watching him take them down would have definitely had some kind of bitter sweet irony.

Not sure that will happen now. And 3 points against them now becomes a priority!

STAN Collymore, who played under O’Neill at Leicester, is among those who believe the Northern Irishman had missed having Robertson at his side.

He told talkSPORT: “Martin O’Neill is a dictatorial manager in the style of a Sir Alex Ferguson or a David Moyes – in other words he deals with everything.

“He knows the cost of everything, he wants total control of everything.

“John Robertson was the conduit between player and manager. When I was at Leicester I would go out and do the training with Steve Walford and everything would be quite jovial.

“John Robertson would watch training, perhaps go in a couple of times to see the manager who probably wouldn’t even come out until the last 10, 15 minutes of the session where everything got much livelier because it was unusual for the gaffer to come out and oversee training – like Sir Alex Ferguson or like David Moyes - and what John Robertson would do would be to report back.

“Who’s looking sharp, who’s not looking so sharp and I think in terms of this season Martin O’Neill just hasn’t looked himself.

“He hasn’t had that sounding board with John Robertson, Robbo decided not to make the trek up north and from what I understand JR almost had enough of the modern-day footballer.

“I think that has had a massive impact.”

interesting from Stan

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...tson-1-5540809

• Like 1

If he is such a shit manager and person I am amazed that people are still so pissed off he left us. Very little objectivity regarding him

Not that he left us, HOW he left us.

word removed.

You mean when he got sacked? You don't get compensation for walking out.

Yes you do

As I posted in the other thread. Feel sorry for him or whatever reason it didnt work for him and he may have reached the time when his abilities diminish

Did you also feel sorry for Houllier or McLeish when they were sacked here?

They did the exact same as MON did. They all failed and got paid a lot for the privilege.

Edited by PieFacE

Â