Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Ok so I've now had a few and am going to open up. I've been single for 3 years now and I'm tired of being single. I've slept around a bit (not loads) and I'm now ready to settle down but the problem is I don't feel like I meet anyone I want to settle with. Been on a few dates with girls I know that have been fine but nothing has come of it and I never seem to meet anyone outside of work where something will happen (if it's in a bar or something it's either just chat, might get with them or occasionally go home with them, but I never meet girls outside of a 'bar' sort of environment). As for work itself, I never really have the time to make anything happen as I'm now a lawyer in the City and it's just too highly charged all the time (plus you don't shit where you eat).

So I don't really know what to do. Should I try online dating maybe? Or maybe I'm being too picky?

I'm in a very similar situation to you; maybe a year less down the line. I've been single for a year and I think having somebody would occupy my mind a bit and curb my anxiety. I'm with you on never meeting anybody new thing. Lets go speed dating together :D

You speed dating? Just don't wear a mask of our combined faces and you should be OK. Just don't talk haha

• Like 1

http://freakonomics.com/2014/02/06/what-you-dont-know-about-online-dating-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Listen to that.  It's actually really interesting, it's a different take on the world of online dating.  I don't think there is any social stigma about online dating any more, it's probably because so many people under 30 do it these days it's not really any different to trying to pull somebody down the pub.   Go for it though, best case scenario you meet somebody great, if nothing comes of it then you should still have a laugh. 

• Like 1

Ok so I've now had a few and am going to open up. I've been single for 3 years now and I'm tired of being single. I've slept around a bit (not loads) and I'm now ready to settle down but the problem is I don't feel like I meet anyone I want to settle with. Been on a few dates with girls I know that have been fine but nothing has come of it and I never seem to meet anyone outside of work where something will happen (if it's in a bar or something it's either just chat, might get with them or occasionally go home with them, but I never meet girls outside of a 'bar' sort of environment). As for work itself, I never really have the time to make anything happen as I'm now a lawyer in the City and it's just too highly charged all the time (plus you don't shit where you eat).

So I don't really know what to do. Should I try online dating maybe? Or maybe I'm being too picky?

I'm in a very similar situation to you; maybe a year less down the line. I've been single for a year and I think having somebody would occupy my mind a bit and curb my anxiety. I'm with you on never meeting anybody new thing. Lets go speed dating together :D

You speed dating? Just don't wear a mask of our combined faces and you should be OK. Just don't talk haha

I shouldn't talk? :(

http://freakonomics.com/2014/02/06/what-you-dont-know-about-online-dating-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Listen to that. It's actually really interesting, it's a different take on the world of online dating. I don't think there is any social stigma about online dating any more, it's probably because so many people under 30 do it these days it's not really any different to trying to pull somebody down the pub. Go for it though, best case scenario you meet somebody great, if nothing comes of it then you should still have a laugh.

Agree. Worst case scenario you get something to post in the confession thread. Best case, you take a wife!

I shouldn't talk? :(

Joking dear

Speed dating is actually really fun.

The whole concept of it is a nightmare in my head.

I hate forced social situations. Like if you've ever been to a networking event (for business) and you're forced into false introductions and activities to generate conversation. I hate that.

So I shouldn't like speed dating. But it's actually fun (albeit I've only been once). Just have half a bottle of wine before you start and you'll be golden. The fact you only have 3 minutes takes the pressure off. If you click, you have 3 minutes of fun. If not, you only have to fill 3 minutes with token questions about their job.

Also, in my one experience, there was basically me and one other guy who weren't weird, creepy freaks. So it made us look amazing :D

• Like 2

It's been 3 months of regular sexytimes with the lesbian I converted off of OKCupid.

I say go for it. If it works for me...

I still think this beats Lolleys accomplishment, and it's bloody close to an Olympic medal. Putin approves at least

• Like 2

I do want to try speed dating actually. Let's go for it Stefan. If it fails we can go for a crywank together afterwards.

There's a dating site which I think is more focused on London folk called 'doing something'. So you put up some random event or place you want to visit or class you want to do and then people look at what you and others have put up and can say 'yeah I fancy doing that too'. So rather than awkward drinks you can actually do something active which I think sounds way better.

As for you Jenny, I can't imagine you'll have any trouble the day you decide to settle down! You're surrounded by hot athletes and you're a household name on snow! I'm surrounded by lawyers and other people on the brink of a nervous breakdown at all times. But I am a big name in Goring-on-Thames after my 1 word line on Call the Midwife and some elderly ladies around there think I'm handsome, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

If I were to do the dating thing. I'd seriously try and find some one who was born in a place you'd like to live. I know a guy who wejt to uni, fell in love with a girl from the usa and now he's back and forth to the states and looks to have an amazing lifestyle. Whilst I dont regret marrying a girl who only lived a few miles from me whatsoever, I just think if I were to have to start again, that would probably be my thinking.

See I want to move to the States for that reason, but it's a while off. Hard to get certified as a teacher over there, especially so soon after qualifying.

I do want to try speed dating actually. Let's go for it Stefan. If it fails we can go for a crywank together afterwards.

Yes Spoony. On it.

If I were to do the dating thing. I'd seriously try and find some one who was born in a place you'd like to live. I know a guy who wejt to uni, fell in love with a girl from the usa and now he's back and forth to the states and looks to have an amazing lifestyle. Whilst I dont regret marrying a girl who only lived a few miles from me whatsoever, I just think if I were to have to start again, that would probably be my thinking.

I pulled a female mate of one of my best mates a while back. Pulled her a couple of times. Could probably have made a relationship out of it but never bothered.

Her parents live in barbados and she's always jetting back and forth. PLus they're loaded so they often pay.

Dammit.

Â