Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

I will read through all that later but no I do not consider myself homophobic. I think you have to consider that even Catholics move with the times and don't stick with outdated doctrines. Moral standards have dropped though and has that not coincided with families not been brought up with religion as part of their lives?

BOF's point was that according to the Bible (and the Quran, etc) and Catholic doctrine a believer is supposed to have a moral code that would be considered wholly immoral by modern standards, at least in Europe. While you and many Catholics have moved with the times and left behind outdated doctrines, the Catholic Church hasn't, and the text contained in the Bible certainly will not change because times have changed. Point being, morality is independent of religion - you are not homophobic or sexist because you grew up in Europe in the late 20th century, not because of Catholic doctrine or the Bible, which were both written more than a thousand years ago and were products of very different times.

As for your assertion that moral standards have dropped.....read your Bible again, especially (but not just) the Old Testament. We are a far, far, far more moral society than the ancient Near East.

OK, all over to the religion thread, those that want to carry on with this.

Paul seems more reasonable imo than some of those we've seen on the VT religious discussion scene over the years.

The bible also contradicts itself numerous times so to use that as any point of reference (from either side of the argument) is silly.

EDIT: Didn't see the memo. Last post about it here.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I`m guessing Mrs Hewson is one of those Catholic types  :rolleyes:

I'm guessing her challenging of Ireland's abortion law suggests she might not be. 

But I refuse to believe that makes all atheists kiddy fiddlers or kiddy fiddlers'' apologists.

Not all of them.

Edited by chrisp65

I lost my virginity at 15 to a slightly older 15 year old. Who is the nonce in that situation ?.

He is. You're fine.

Even if it was my uncle. ???? It's a political hot potato if you ask me . Catch.

Â