Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

1 shot in 90 minutes and wins. Either he is a genius or a lucky man. 

I know which one he is

Is is strange, all the pundits saying it was genius on O'Neill's part but it was just ROI capitalising on one mistake, they offered nothing all game, if that one mistake doesn't happen Wales easily draw the draw or even push on for the win. So I say it is luck.

....but then again there was a period of a few months when that is all Villa did under O'Neill. One shot or one deflection, one set piece, or one OG and we grabbed an undeserved 3 points. So maybe he is a genius.

I am so confused.

• Like 1

Well I expect we'll lose in the playoff as we'll be up against a team vastly superior to us due to the seeded nature of the draw. However you can't argue with MON's record, qualified for the euro's and I would have happily taken second in this WC group at the start of the campaign. I don't agree with his tactics and team selections but if he's delivering results then fair play. It should also boost our seeding for the next Euro's group draw too which should mean we have a chance to qualify.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

1 shot in 90 minutes and wins. Either he is a genius or a lucky man. 

I know which one he is

Either option is pretty acceptable in a manager :)

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Well I expect we'll lose in the playoff as we'll be up against a team vastly superior to us due to the seeded nature of the draw. However you can't argue with MON's record, qualified for the euro's and I would have happily taken second in this WC group at the start of the campaign. I don't agree with his tactics and team selections but if he's delivering results then fair play. It should also boost our seeding for the next Euro's group draw too which should mean we have a chance to qualify.

Yes I think he plays to Irelands strengths. Yes they got lucky and yes they **** up after a good start to a campaign but maybe that is because they are not that good. I respect what MON has done and sincerely hope they get though the qualifier. On the other hand Wales really **** up after such a brilliant euros but they way overachieved in that campaign and they are so reliant on one man. 

If Portugal can win at home this evening then it's likely that 2 of the 4 seeded teams will be Denmark* & Switzerland.

* Once the rankings are updated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa89 said:

The home of fifa is in Switzerland so if we get them don't expect any favours from the officials. 

Ah that's why the Swiss win the world cup every time. We're through the looking glass here people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

While Denmark arent great on paper they do have one world class player who can pick us apart

Eriksen been brilliant in these qualifiers. Denmark is my favourite of the Scandinavian nations due to the flair players they produce so always a shame when they miss tournaments.

Think ROI's best bet is Switzerland. I know they won 9 games in that group but it was pretty weak and don't think they have that many goals in them which would suit ROI.

I think they'd run Italy close but you know Italy would get a decision at a key moment which would decide the tie.

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I have literally no one left to root for at the world cup, so I am jumping on the Ireland bandwagon.

The more the merrier :D 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Don't know I think its a tough tie. Usual tactics from MON I expect. If they can turn it into a physical battle rather than  football matches they could go through. 

Of course it's a tough tie.  This is what I mean.  No-one is saying it's an easy tie.  On paper it's the easiest we could have got out of the 4 seeds.  That's not the same as it being an easy tie.

• Like 1

Cockiness from some fans and media is worrying and hope doesnt filter through to players. They have 4 or 5 players playing Champions League and our 2 dangermen play for Norwich and the other has had a torrid 2017

They are beatable but need be 100 percent focused

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cockiness from some fans and media is worrying and hope doesnt filter through to players.

It won't. Denmark are the seeded team and MON will be playing up the underdog card to beat the band in the run up to the game.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cockiness from some fans and media is worrying and hope doesnt filter through to players. They have 4 or 5 players playing Champions League and our 2 dangermen play for Norwich and the other has had a torrid 2017

They are beatable but need be 100 percent focused

Wasn't it the same v Bosnia. People said ROI had no chance against Dzeko, Ibisevic and Pjanic even though Bosnia had a very underwhelming group and finished below Wales. IIRC ROI comfortably won that tie.

I can certainly see ROI scoring in Denmark and being capable of getting a 1-1. Big favourites to progress if that happens.

Â