Good News: Motorway Speed Limit set to rise

tonyh29

Finally the Uk speed limit on Motorways is set to rise ..shame they have only gone to 80 mph but it's a step in the right direction ...all we need to do now is put in a law that keeps driving gloves and flat cap man out of the outside lane as he tries to police the road and we might get our motorways moving

The motorway speed limit will increase from 70mph to 80mph in 2013 under Government plans, Sky sources have revealed.

Speaking to Sky News, the Transport Secretary said: "This is a clear proposal from the Government to increase the motorway speed limit to 80 miles an hour."

"Principally this is about the huge time savings that would be available by improving journey times, hundreds of millions of pounds worth a year of time savings.

"And also the benefit of bringing millions of ordinary motorists, who are otherwise law abiding, back on the right side of the law because frankly the current speed limit has lost legitimacy," he added.

The current 70mph national speed limit was set in 1965.

Since then advances in vehicle technology and design have contributed to more than a 75% drop in the number of people killed on British roads.

The Department of Transport has been reviewing the 70mph speed limit for some time.

From its analysis so far it has concluded that raising the motorway speed limit would generate "significant economic benefits, worth hundreds of millions of pounds per year, particularly from savings of travel time".

A limit of 80mph would represent the best balance of costs and benefits, as well as bring the UK in line with other EU countries, it claimed.

Although the move may be welcomed by some, the head of the RAC Foundation Professor Stephen Glaister was not convinced.

Commenting on the proposal, he said: "Drivers travelling that 10mph quicker might reach their destination sooner, but will use about 20% more fuel and emit 20% more CO2.

"There is also likely to be a slight increase in road casualties. And what about enforcement? If police follow existing guidelines, many people could do 90mph before action is taken.

"Local authorities already have the power to set 20mph limits, and that's how it should stay.

"Before you change a speed limit, you have to know whether you are doing it for safety, economic or environmental reasons. Unfortunately not all of these are compatible."

Source

Seen them on Top gear driving around the IofM does look like fun

I remember driving up to John O'Groats one time and went on some pretty hairy roads there ..lots of winding roads going up and down and around the hills .... full of Sunday drivers , caravans and lorries .. so as you went around a bend that gave you a good view of the traffic coming the other way you'd have to identify the cars and spot the gaps ..and then count them off as they went past you ..and then foot down for a blind overtake manoeuvre ... great fun but I was about 20 then , nowadays i don't know if I would be so silly :-)

I always drive as fast as i want on the motorway and always has done..ive never heard of someone getting a speeding ticket on the motorway...but maybe the police in england take it more seriously than over here.

Lost count of the number of tickets I've had for speeding on the motorway. I know I've had one in each of Canada, USA, France, Spain and Mozambique of all places. Also had half a dozen in the UK, including twice within 20 minutes on the M4.

The annoying thing is, I generally don't go that fast, normally not much more than 80mph!

Still, haven't had one for over five years now so the message must be getting through (the message being, keep a keener eye out for speed cameras!).

Never had a speeding ticket in nearly 19 years driving. Regularly drive over 70mph on the motorway.

I can still see some morons coming out and trying to claim it will increase accidents, while supporting their claims with absolutely no evidence. As per usual. ;)

I was parked on the M4 just outside Bath for an hour a few weeks ago thinking 'I wish they'd raise the speed limit'.

Bit of a pointless distraction.

with everyone going 10 mph faster you'll be parked just outside Awkley "thinking" in the future :winkold:

Bit of a pointless distraction.

Indeed, if they really wanted to get the motorways moving they'd improve and re-expand the rail network, treating it as infrastructure and not something to exploit for revenue. They could then justifiably "incentivise" (I think thats a euphemism for tax to the hilt) the road haulage industry, to push the trucks off the road and onto the rail network

Ban those pikeys with their caravans from the motorways!! Any one who chooses to have fun by pulling around their abode and shit in their living room/bedroom are not intelligent enough to drive on motorways???

Plus get all lorries off the road at rush hour like Germany!! 40 tonne waggons carrying bags of pre-washed lettuce to your local Tesco, move it at night!

Ban those pikeys with their caravans from the motorways!! Any one who chooses to have fun by pulling around their abode and shit in their living room/bedroom are not intelligent enough to drive on motorways???

Plus get all lorries off the road at rush hour like Germany!! 40 tonne waggons carrying bags of pre-washed lettuce to your local Tesco, move it at night!

While I admire the Dutch for creating a road network that can only be in existence to provide me with amusement and head shaking at their comedy child like attempts to create roads that are good for f*** all they have got 1 tiny thing right. In a lot of places on the motorway lorries cannot overtake each other which works really well. (It would work even better if we had hills but never mind, the thought was there :D )

Whilst raising the speed limit to 80mph, they should also introduce a minimum speed limit. I mean, it's all well and good knowing you are allowed to go faster, but not very helpful when you physically can't due to slow c*nts clogging up the lanes ....

It's bad driving which is the main issue not speeding.

Middle lane drivers

Tail gating

Driving on mobile or texting

Arguably smoking and driving

Not indicating

Lane swapping

All the above I see as more if an issue than speeding.

Every day on the a45 I have to brake as I get cut up by some prick on their phone.

Whilst raising the speed limit to 80mph, they should also introduce a minimum speed limit. I mean, it's all well and good knowing you are allowed to go faster, but not very helpful when you physically can't due to slow c*nts clogging up the lanes ....

Slow driving is one of the biggest causes of accidents.

Also people who sit in the middle lane need sorting out!

Slow driving is one of the biggest causes of accidents.

Also people who sit in the middle lane need sorting out!

This.

I thought there already was ? I'm sure I read in my local paper once plod had nicked some woman driver on the M25 for going to slow ... Thought it was 50mph min speed ?

Â