Good News: Motorway Speed Limit set to rise

tonyh29

Breaking distances are decreased, what about little Johnny who runs into the road, you've more chance of stopping if your doing 30mph than if your doing 40mph.

You mindset about speeding is frightening!

I'm talking Motorways here not doing 80 through a 30 zone

little johnny is perfectly safe from me so he can sleep easy

Thank God for that...i thought i was going to have to reach for the Propofol!

Ability and experience dont effect little Johnny deciding to run into the road.

Maybe you don't drive but you are 100 % wrong.

Example. It's getting dark, and I enter a built up area from a motorway with parked cars at 4.00pm (Eg Kingstanding)

My Ability and experience tells me to slow down, look through the parked cars if possible for people crossing, are there kids playing footie or similar, use the reflections in the windows to see extra angles if possible, check for ice cream vans or similar, reduce speed to under the limit depending. Drive expecting little jonny to run out any second, not just think it might happen. It works at 150 mph just as well, go to Germany and try it.

(I was taught to drive by a rapid response old bill and these are the things ALL drivers should be doing ALL the time, if your not then you should not be behind the wheel ever. After the amount of miles I have driven this has served me well)

The fact that people are arguing with me about driving ability is beyond words to be honest but it would be easier to just catch little jonny and let his mom and dad know)

Example. It's getting dark, and I enter a built up area from a motorway with parked cars at 4.00pm (Eg Kingstanding)

My Ability and experience tells me to slow down, look through the parked cars if possible for people crossing, are there kids playing footie or similar, use the reflections in the windows to see extra angles if possible, check for ice cream vans or similar, reduce speed to under the limit depending. Drive expecting little jonny to run out any second, not just think it might happen. It works at 150 mph just as well, go to Germany and try it.

(I was taught to drive by a rapid response old bill and these are the things ALL drivers should be doing ALL the time, if your not then you should not be behind the wheel ever. After the amount of miles I have driven this has served me well)

The fact that people are arguing with me about driving ability is beyond words to be honest but it would be easier to just catch little jonny and let his mom and dad know)

I do drive.

So are you saying you do drive at the speed limit in built up areas?

FWIW i dont see how you can see a 2 year old child stood behind a car?

I do drive.

No, I drive in accordance the the conditions and surroundings and adjust my speed to what is safe. Simple as that. If I rally thought a 2 year old was about to jump under my car then I would stop.

You can look under cars on a hill, through cars, shadows, reflections and many more.

From your question, I take it you have never gone past a parked car then ? How do you know there is not a 2 year old there. I use numerous different ways to check and these methods have served me fine for over 1 million mile + , what do you do then ? Shut your eyes

think the point is he is aware of his surroundings and acts accordingly

on my way home from work I come down a hill and then turn left .. quite often there are kids coming down the hill on bikes on the FOOTPATH it's covered with bushes and has a bit of a blind spot ... you can anticipate the fact that they are not going to stop at the junction and keep going straight across the road without even looking and so I don't turn left straight away because I've seen them clocked them and anticipated what they are going to do

Someone mentioned over confidence in their ability but I've been driving 24 years probably well over half a million miles .. I've had one accident and that was when a swerved to avoid killing a dog that ran in the dual carriage way (I was inside the speed limit fwiw) ... so I don't accept that it it can really called over confidence .. you don't pick up a guitar for the first time and attempt stairway to heaven , no you start with something so easy a 2 year old could play it ..so once you've mastered Queens entire catalogue you then set your sights a bit higher don't you ..and driving a car is no different ..

The biggest risk on the road are the people so convinced they're driving safely they stop paying attention to the road and drive like it's a formality.

Usually that's the people who drive within the speed limits and think they're driving perfectly.

People who speed (other than the retard boy racers) are generally more aware of the fact they're a risk, and act accordingly.

I do drive.

No, I drive in accordance the the conditions and surroundings and adjust my speed to what is safe. Simple as that. If I rally thought a 2 year old was about to jump under my car then I would stop.

You can look under cars on a hill, through cars, shadows, reflections and many more.

From your question, I take it you have never gone past a parked car then ? How do you know there is not a 2 year old there. I use numerous different ways to check and these methods have served me fine for over 1 million mile + , what do you do then ? Shut your eyes

I drive within the speed limit because im not Colin M...Jenson Button.

The biggest risk on the road are the people so convinced they're driving safely they stop paying attention to the road and drive like it's a formality.

Usually that's the people who drive within the speed limits and think they're driving perfectly.

People who speed (other than the retard boy racers) are generally more aware of the fact they're a risk, and act accordingly.

Utter bullshit.

Driving fast is fun.

When I'm in a town I rigidly observe speed limits, and if there's a school or playground etc in the vicinity, I'll slow down to around 20mph whether it's a 20 zone or not. On an unrestricted road in good conditions though, and with no little johnnies around, there's no way that I'm not going to drive as fast as I can (while still staying safe, of course).

Utter bullshit.

Leave it Mike :|

It's the cost of the fuel as well when you're driving faster than 70mph, not to mention the extra carbon emissions.

Completely agree, made a similar point earlier. I don't know the exact stats but I'd guestimate that my car runs atleast 30% more efficiently at 70mph than at 90mph.

couldn't agree more

it's the same with drink driving .. 1 in 6 deaths on the road are down to drink drivers , so that means 5 of them are caused by people who are sober

I find the gesture that people can see everything around them at all times, day or night, kids hiding behind cars etc while driving 'fast'. utter horseshit.

And i call the fact that none of these wonder drivers have hit a kid...lucky.

I think most people are making the point that they like to drive fast on motorways and dual carriageways where there are kids unlikely to be hiding behind cars.

couldn't agree more

it's the same with drink driving .. 1 in 6 deaths on the road are down to drink drivers , so that means 5 of them are caused by people who are sober

Do me a favour Tony...find out how many of those remaining 5 deaths were due to speeding.

I find the gesture that people can see everything around them at all times, day or night, kids hiding behind cars etc while driving 'fast'. utter horseshit.

And i call the fact that none of these wonder drivers have hit a kid...lucky.

I think most people are making the point that they like to drive fast on motorways and dual carriageways where there are kids unlikely to be hiding behind cars.

Thats not what ive read in the last page or do. If ive read it wrong then i apologies.

Personally, I feel the 'worst' drivers are those who will canter along at a fairly default pace, regardless of their surroundings. Where I live, there are plenty of A-roads that go through little villages, and it's quite common place for people to hold you up doing 50mph in the open stretches, only to continue at said speed when they reach the little villages. I like to throw my car around a bit in the right time and place, but when it comes to driving around my, or any other, estate, I'm quite often overly cautious if anything.

Agree with Risso's train of thought on this one.

Â