Good News: Motorway Speed Limit set to rise

tonyh29

Ban those pikeys with their caravans from the motorways!! Any one who chooses to have fun by pulling around their abode and shit in their living room/bedroom are not intelligent enough to drive on motorways???

As well as a roads that I can drive on as fast as I like, caravans are also banned over here. :D

I actually got a ticket the other day on the M5 doing 60 in a 50 roadworks bit. **** livid.
Who exactly are you livid with? Yourself? Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I might have known I'd be the lone voice here in the face of all you speed lovers.

The faster you go, the less time you have to react when something goes wrong.

All the people who currently drive at 80 mph will now be driving at 90 mph, and so on.

Saying slow drivers are the the "cause" of accidents is like blaming the rape victim for wearing provocative clothing.

And I'm not "holier than thou", I have speeding points on my own licence - but I don't blame anybody for it but myself. I'd like to see motorway speed limits reduced, not increased, I wouldn't mind betting it would improve traffic flow and actually shorten average journey times (I believe there is some evidence for this).

I quite enjoy driving, but at the end of the day I consider cars as useful tools (and perhaps at times a necessary evil); the whole "boys' toys" culture makes me rather sick. Give me the nanny state over the Jeremy Clarkson state, any day.

Headline grabbing attempt by the Gvmt with little in the way of real benefits. As others have said investment in public transport would assist with road congestion, but that is an alien concept as it's supporting the state rather than private enterprise.

Why don't they go the whole hog and as per certain parts of Germany remove the speed limit. Surely the same arguments they are trying to grab the headlines for are valid at 90 / 100 / 100 mph?

Interesting that some are suggesting banning certain elements from parts of the roads, e.g. caravans etc. So who would "police" all of this? Again people talk about heavy handed restrictions but then advocate even more in the way of rule setting.

Why not only allow certain cars to use the fast lane? As a policeman told me when he pulled me over for speeding, my car at the time was built to go fast and had the necessary braking systems etc, a Citroen Saxo was not. The laws are set for all not for a select few. The reality is that certain cars are a lot safer to go at high speeds, whereas inexperienced drivers in typically poorly built cars struggle - how would this be addressed other than peeling out little Jason and Wayne from the hedge

RAC Man says

Although the move may be welcomed by some, the head of the RAC Foundation Professor Stephen Glaister was not convinced.

Commenting on the proposal, he said: "Drivers travelling that 10mph quicker might reach their destination sooner, but will use about 20% more fuel and emit 20% more CO2.

Hmmm, the cynic in me says that the government are trying to raise a bit extra fuel tax. Recouping some of the losses caused by more economical cars. :lol:

It's bad driving which is the main issue not speeding.

Driving on mobile or texting

Every day on the a45 I have to brake as I get cut up by some prick on their phone.

Agreed, that really annoys the hell out of me.

I see people on their phones driving round my housing estate. It only takes a kid to step out onto the road and there will be tragedy. Why can't people pull over if they want to us their phones, instead of being so selfish.

Not sure how I feel about this if I'm entirely honest.

When I drive to work in the mornings, I drive down a completely deserted stretch of motorway, and if I'm honest, find myself doing 90mph on most occasions. Anyway, my point is, is that at that speed, my car's fuel efficiency absolutely plummets and I'd imagine the same would be the case for a large amount of the nation's cars. If the speed limit was increased to 80mph, then you'd soon see fuel consumption rise around the nation, which could be bad for both the environment, and petrol prices.

I drive fast because the voices in my head tell me to.

That and because I'm a fairly useless human being with the patience of a 5 year old who always leaves it too late to leave for work. I am no saint, not by a long stretch.

Who exactly are you livid with? Yourself? Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Exactly my thoughts. I used to scream around the motorways like a maniac but if I ever got nabbed, I knew it was only ever my fault. It was a calculated risk and I knew I was liable to get a ticket at some point - just don't get why you'd be angry about it - I'd been burgling houses for years but you should have seen how cross I was when the old bill had the temerity to nick me for it! ;)

which could be bad for both the environment,

only if you believe scientists and the Times map making department and their lies :winkold:

Fact is 70mph in this day and age is just too slow , cars now have so many driving aids even you average woman can make around 50 miles between prangs ..

But it does also need some driver education as others have pointed out ..I've driven around most of Europe much of it on 2 lane highways ..the difference there is you overtake and pull over rather than over taking and thinking oh there is another car 17 miles away for me to overtake I'd best stay here ..

If you drive fast because you're in a hurry to get somewhere, set out earlier.

but why take 2 hours to do a journey when you know you can do it in 1hr 45 ..and why take 1:45 when you know you can do it in 1:40 ....it's no different to running there is always a PB to beat :winkold:

Headline grabbing attempt by the Gvmt with little in the way of real benefits.

predictable reply but at least one of your mob will be happy :-)

John Prescott has four speeding convictions. The most recent was in 1997 when he drove at 80mph on a section of the M62 motorway.

RAC Man says

Although the move may be welcomed by some, the head of the RAC Foundation Professor Stephen Glaister was not convinced.

Commenting on the proposal, he said: "Drivers travelling that 10mph quicker might reach their destination sooner, but will use about 20% more fuel and emit 20% more CO2.

Hmmm, the cynic in me says that the government are trying to raise a bit extra fuel tax. Recouping some of the losses caused by more economical cars. :lol:

It will increase overall tax revenue for fuel, more used + more sales per day completed for example as sales people will see more companies and prospects per year overall. It also means that 90 mph is the new 80 mph.

I don't care about the environment at all.

but why take 2 hours to do a journey when you know you can do it in 1hr 45 ..and why take 1:45 when you know you can do it in 1:40 ....it's no different to running there is always a PB to beat :winkold:

Glad you put that wink in.

To slightly paraphrase Douglas Adams: "Hurry up, and you'll be late. As in 'the late Arthur Dent'".

If you drive fast because you're in a hurry to get somewhere, set out earlier.

Fine, in theory, although often not either practical, or possible.

I fact, thinking about it, that line is just not realistic in many situations.

You can "set out earlier" for many an arrival time, and still end up "in a hurry" for a multitude of reasons beyond your control.

and then on the odd occassion where you "set out earlier" and face no impediments at all, you end up ludicrously early, and effectively simply end up wasting your time.

I think you set out at a 'sensible time' in most circumstances, but on numerous occassions can find yourselves "in a hurry". That's just modern life/modern motoring Mike.

I do think your line above holds too much water, in all honesty.

If you drive fast because you enjoy it, you should be on a race track, not a public highway.

This line holds more water, but again, not always practical, unless you are a racing driver and/or have a shed load of money.

Personally, I fel I drive both quickly and safely, and often exceed the rather outdated speed limits we have in existence, which have not changed for donkey's years, depsite vast improvements in car (safety) performance.

thing is I've always sped .. I'd argue I'm a better driver on the road as a result of it as I'm constantly monitoring the road in the knowledge that A) plod will nick me and B) if i crash at high speed i'll be in deep shit ... I'm watching the road , I'm aware of what is up ahead and what is going along behind and around me ..you almost know when a car is going to pull out on you without awareness that you are even there ..and you are ready to react

the problem isn't speed ..it is with drivers that have no awareness of their whereabouts who pull out without checking their mirrors ..or the ones who think just because they put their indicator on that means they can change lane without looking ..

I'm sure it will be argued I'm working on flawed logic but touch wood I've been Ok so far ...

very true Mr Loc.

It does keep me interested during those tedious and oft repeated journeys, to beat some sort of pre-set target, or PB.

Where's the "fun" in simply driving tediously from A to B, within speed limits. :mrgreen:

Again, safely. I actually find driving at a higher pace to be safer, from my own perspective, as I'm "on the ball". When I get stuck behind a dodderer, I'm far less safe, as I'm half asleep with tedium ... :mrgreen:

Again, safely. I actually find driving at a higher pace to be safer, from my own perspective, as I'm "on the ball". When I get stuck behind a dodderer, I'm far less safe, as I'm half asleep with tedium ... Mr. Green

see my post above ..guess i may not be alone in my "flawed" logic then :-)

Â