Good News: Motorway Speed Limit set to rise

tonyh29

Why not only allow certain cars to use the fast lane? As a policeman told me when he pulled me over for speeding, my car at the time was built to go fast and had the necessary braking systems etc, a Citroen Saxo was not.

Not sure if anyone's replied to this in the subsequent four pages, but it does my nut in . The reason is, because it's not a frigging 'fast lane'. There isn't a fast lane or a slow lane. There's a lane for driving in, an overtaking lane, and a second overtaking lane. If chappy is doing 50mph in lane one, and chappette is doing 60mph in lane 2, overtaking, then chapsmash is perfectly entitled to overtake at 65mph in lane 3.

Good points blunther. How many people actually follow that rule though? I see cock ends - albeit typically in Audi's and BMW's (but that is another conversation :-) ) stuck in the "fast lane" of the motorway as some god given right in their opinion. The rules that you pass your test on say that you should return to the left hand lane , but the reality is that many don't.

Why not only allow certain cars to use the fast lane? As a policeman told me when he pulled me over for speeding, my car at the time was built to go fast and had the necessary braking systems etc, a Citroen Saxo was not.

Not sure if anyone's replied to this in the subsequent four pages, but it does my nut in . The reason is, because it's not a frigging 'fast lane'. There isn't a fast lane or a slow lane. There's a lane for driving in, an overtaking lane, and a second overtaking lane. If chappy is doing 50mph in lane one, and chappette is doing 60mph in lane 2, overtaking, then chapsmash is perfectly entitled to overtake at 65mph in lane 3.

Good points blunther. How many people actually follow that rule though? I see cock ends - albeit typically in Audi's and BMW's (but that is another conversation :-) ) stuck in the "fast lane" of the motorway as some god given right in their opinion. The rules that you pass your test on say that you should return to the left hand lane , but the reality is that many don't.

Indeed, and that's what needs sorting out if we want the motorways to go faster. Can't see this making any real practical difference at all. more police on the roads pulling over middle lane hogs and sending them on courses like they have for speeding (or just shooting them - fine with that too) seems to make more sense. But then a camera can't pull someone over, so unlikely to happen.

This topic always brings out the safety nutters.. its good we are cathcing up with a large proportion of europe and realising cars are no longer stopping at the same distance as they were 50 years ago..

What a frankly absurd comment.

You say we are catching up with the rest of Europe, do you know what the speed limits are there?

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/

There should be an advertising campaign reminding/educating people about the fact additional lanes are for overtaking. It doesn't help that motorway driving isn't legal until you pass your driving test, then most people don't get lessons on how to drive on a motorway.

This topic always brings out the safety nutters.. its good we are cathcing up with a large proportion of europe and realising cars are no longer stopping at the same distance as they were 50 years ago..

What a frankly absurd comment.

You say we are catching up with the rest of Europe, do you know what the speed limits are there?

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/

Unless I am missing your point, all the contries on that list bar two have faster moterway speeds than the UK?

Unless I am missing your point, all the contries on that list bar two have faster moterway speeds than the UK?

The point is not just motorways though and the majority have a 10KM higher speed limit on motorways and lower on roads where the majority of miles are driven. How he comes to conclusion that this is a "safety nutter" issue is beyond me

The point is not just motorways though and the majority have a 10KM higher speed limit on motorways and lower on roads where the majority of miles are driven. How he comes to conclusion that this is a "safety nutter" issue is beyond me

Please point out where these "majority of miles" are driven on national speed limit single carriageways?

The majority of miles in this country are driven in urban environments, and motorways. Very very few will be under the "open road" category of that table, the vast bulk will be on 30mph single carriageways, 40mph dual carriageways, and motorways. With some 70mph dual carriageways thrown in in between.

Whilst that table might show the maximum speed limit for single carriageway roads, it doesn't really reflect the actual speed limit for them which is predominantly much lower.

I can't remember the last time I was even on a 60mph single carriage way that that "open road" column is based on, they're generally just rural roads that people very very rarely drive.

I don't get you at all - so basically what you are saying is that because your driving is mainly motorway that the majority of miles in this country are the same?

You say that the majority of miles are driven in urban and motorways - so are you advocating a rise in urban speed limits also? Just because you don;t accept the term "open road" we have to rewrite the rules and definitions?

The simple thing is the poster claimed that the idea of raising the motorway speed limit to one that is higher than the rest of europe (or most of it) was in some way a victory over "safety nutters", and that it would in some way get us up to date with the rest of Europe. When the reality is that most of europe actually has pretty similar speed limits and in fact the UK has equal or higher limits on roads that most miles are driven on by the majority of people

The point is not just motorways though

Cough Check the title of the thread cough

i swear you just post things without reading them :-)

Cough cough - wasn't it you (or was it the other voice) who was posting re speed and other roads :-)

Wouldn't it be better to have two Id's one for each Tony :-)

nope I've only been talking about speeds in relation to Motorways in this thread

there was a brief diversion caused by a boy running out in the road to get away from his local priest or something but motorways it is

I don't get you at all - so basically what you are saying is that because your driving is mainly motorway that the majority of miles in this country are the same?

You say that the majority of miles are driven in urban and motorways - so are you advocating a rise in urban speed limits also? Just because you don;t accept the term "open road" we have to rewrite the rules and definitions?

The simple thing is the poster claimed that the idea of raising the motorway speed limit to one that is higher than the rest of europe (or most of it) was in some way a victory over "safety nutters", and that it would in some way get us up to date with the rest of Europe. When the reality is that most of europe actually has pretty similar speed limits and in fact the UK has equal or higher limits on roads that most miles are driven on by the majority of people

No, I'm saying the majority of the miles driven by people in this country are not of the type that you say they are. I didn't say I drive mostly on the motorway, I drive a combination, like most people, of urban and motorway, with the balance firmly in the urbans favour.

You said:

and lower on roads where the majority of miles are driven

The only roads that could apply to are the ones categorised as "open roads" (as that's the only one where we're ahead of the pack) so your point must be that the majority of miles are driven on these "open roads", which is obviously incorrect.

The fact is there are very few "open roads" compared to motorways or urban roads, seeing as they're restricted to pretty much rural environments only.

The vast majority of people will not drive on a 60mph road in any given day, simply because these generally do not exist within cities where most dual carriageways are 40, and single carriageways are 30.

People drive from those roads, onto dual carriageways that may be 70, then onto motorways. They never hit the "open road" which has a 60mph limit.

My point is that the table is not at all representative of driving in the UK, as the roads that could be 60mph, are never actually 60mph. It's like trying to claim that dual carriageways have a 70 limit, which whilst that is the maximum limit for them, in practice you're more likely to be driving on one at 40 than 70.

So rather than looking at a table that shows our speeds are similar or "higher", look at the actual speed limits which are in the vast majority of cases no where near what the national speed limits say they could be, because going on the national speed limits, like that table does, paints a completely different picture to reality.

Could this be the right thread to post the pic of the M25:

1723109_9f489f40.jpg

(?)

(sorry, had to get it in).

Anyhoo, I drive on the M25 every week, either shortly on my way back to Brum from London or down to Portsmouth. Without fail, I'm halted by the variable speed limits due to congestion. I rarely go over the limit as I drive a lot of miles and it's costing me a fortune as it is but it seems to me that the biggest problem we have here is infrastructure and the mindset that normal drivers have. I dare not drive back on a Friday evening any more as I know that the limit will be 40mph and due to cretins in front of me, it will be stop-start (and repeat): I will be sat there for hours.

Do we really need to increase the speed limit as a blanket measure? Why impose this (on the M25 for instance) where all we're going to get is people flooring it, only to brake sharply when they see a smidgen of life in front of them (after all, this happens already)? I'm happy for them to trial it, but only on the basis that it would have a benefit to drivers in the areas that it is enforced. At the moment, a blanket enforcement might have some benefit to some but would be a pain in the ar$e to people like me who have to travel week in-week out on the most congested roads in the country.

I've got a crazy idea.

Why not re test people every 10 years. More employment, self funding, potentially a chance to re-educate people on how to drive on motorways.

I'm on the motorway most days. It's the general lack of awareness and anticipation from pillocks in each and every lane that I find scary. Just to stereotype we've got:

I know 2 lanes are empty but I'm staying out here, I've got a 3 series.

I know 2 lanes are empty but I'm staying out here, I have an Audi.

I'm a timid lady in an invisible neck brace. I will stay in the middle lane, it's what I always do.

I'm a pensioner, the lorries will just have to go around my Micra.

Sort out the economy and road safety before you start pricking about with populist Top Gear distraction tactics.

i happily go over the speed limit on the motorway, doesnt mean i do it outside schools

this is something that is being quoted often (and not picking on you V4E). Firstly how do you know where a school is?

By law they have to have signs warning that you're approaching a school a certain distance down the road. Check the Highway Code if you've forgotten! ;)

But in any case, I've yet to see one on a motorway!

:lol::clap:

So you set out in plenty of tine only to be held up by an accident by a tailgating mobile phone user ego caused a pile up.

I'll go 80 thanks and drive without a mobile tail gate hog the middle land and actually use my indicators.

It's safer to drive 140 and concentrate than drive 60 with a mobile or not being aware

Â