The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good manager can bring the best out of players. We all know this. Even though they have been under performing for a while, the likes of N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Ireland, Delph etc ALL have the potential to play well and even exceed themselves. It comes down to good man management and training to instill that belief in them. On paper these players ARE more than good enough.

Look at Newcastle as the perfect example. They have pretty much 80% of the same squad that played last year but look at how well they are doing now?

Alex McLeish is not only incapable of accomplishing this but I believe he is starting to have a negative impact on it all. I don't blame him for taking the job, but he should never have been considered, let alone offered it.

Up The Villa

Hutton and Heskey as wingers?

Leaves a player he spent £10 million so he can accomodate the above mental system

There is no injury crisis - this is McWank selecting his first choice team.

6 defenders starting - this is embarrasing management.

As good as Spurs are this manager is a curmudgeon - and only ever tries to have teams kill games. He hasn't a clue.

Antifootball .

He is our Gary Megson

Never wanted him but was prepared to give him a chance but I've seen enough to confirm my fears about him.

I'd call for his head if I thought it would do any good or if I thought that Lerner would either a) listen of B) actually be capable of making a better choice next time.

We are in a mess and we've a dead man walking as manager thanks to our clueless chairman. What a mess.

Weve given him more time than hes earnt anyway. Time for him to go.

Couldnt get an easier draw possible until now to get us on his side......the next 5 games will expose him... it started last night.

His comments are what really piss me off.

He basically said...

' we were afraid of them.. we shouldnt be'........ well why did you start with Hutton on the right and such a negative side? YOU were afraid of them and it showed in your players.

We didnt have enough possession and were not good at keeping the ball when we got it..... well when you have 2 natural midfielders in your starting 11.. that is what happens.. you also got rid of the best player in the club who was good with the ball (Makoun)

Slags the defenders when we concede off set pieces... DROP ONE OF THEM THEN! Stop picking the same defence over and over.

Hutton is **** shit!

He is a muppet. Anyone still supporting him.. i just cant understand it. He will sink us like he did with Birmingham.

I wasnt happy with AM being appointed as manager but after a few weeks I could understand it with the amount of disgruntlement coming out of the dressing room. When he held that meeting with our supporters at BMH I thought fair play to him, it was reported on this site that his words were 'we would play attacking football and he had to make do with the what he had at his disposal down the sty.

After what i witnessed at QPR I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, we could all see it was a shocking performance and in hindsight we deserved to lose that match. He needs to learn from his mistakes.

A few games later I go to the WBA game - for the first time since 1984 I turned to my dad and said I wanted to leave the game early. Ok it wasnt a sending off but what I witnessed with 10 men that day was a lack of football understanding from a manager who is highly regarded amongst his footballing peers.

Then there was Spurs last night - he simply hasnt learned from the other games we have played this season. Tactically niave, 6 defenders in the starting line up with 3 out and out strikers, where was the midfield. Lerner who made me happy to be a Villa fan again is stqarting to kill my passion for Villa at the moment. I love my club like I love my ex who i just want to be friends with. Im bored with the Villa, Im bored with our negative manager and i am bored with our style of football. AM needs to be removed with that cretin Faulkner who doesnt know his arse from his elbow. The sooner Lerner realises this the better, otherwise welcome to the relegation battle and very low attendances.

I never ever want us relegated and could never wish for it which is one reason I am pissed off with McDefend and Lerner. Both are dragging us down.
McDefend? More like McCan'tDefend(or attack)ForShit. :lol:

Oh well, at least we as a forum will probably have more of a united view on McLeish if things carry on than we were on Houllier.

Leaves a player he spent £10 million so he can accomodate the above mental system

There is no injury crisis - this is McLeish selecting his first choice team.

As good as Spurs are this manager is a curmudgeon - and only ever tries to have teams kill games. He hasn't a clue.

Antifootball .

He is our Gary Megson

Totally agree with this ^^

I know N'Zogbia has been off the boil recently but leaving him on the bench to play Hutton on the right is just amazing IMO. How the hell is the guy supposed to develop any kind of confidence when a poorly performing right back is selected to play in the position he occupied full time last season?

McLeish put the emphasis on defence last night, which is the weakest part of our team. He should have played to our strengths and played a forward 4 of Gabby, Zog, Bent, Albrighton and gone at them out wide to try to push their full backs back towards their own goal rather than letting them have the freedom to attack ours instead!

Heskey is just a non-starter for me. He offers very little and for people to say he gives us a phyiscal presence is laughable because he gets knocked over more than a shit boxer.

Man City money changed the game

The amount of times I hear this does not make it correct.

Put my quote back in it's context.

Backing MON to the hilt, man city money and world wide debt had an affect on Lerner's ambitions. He got burnt.

So was the man city money game changing? For us, yes.

Certainly Lerner is to shoulder the blame for appointing the manager - but he doesn't pick the team, the tactics or motivate the players. Take any poster on this thread and they'd have put out a better team and tactics than what McLeish did against Spurs.

My only gripe with Lerner is the appointment of this clown! A truly awful decision and a truly awful manager. It was doomed to failure from day one because the majority of fans didn't want him due to his poor PL record and/or his connections to those lot down the road.

The shambles at the back is my biggest concern considering he was apparently the man to sort out our defence.

Mcleish's comment a few week's back about corners/errors is turning into a total joke and shows the man talks out of his arse. Threatening to drop people for errors, but then not doing so paints the man as a complete fool. In fact, those comments are worse than Houllier's - "I'll sort it out in the summer" comment - I think at least that was a veiled way of saying "I'll be moving members of our defence on in the Summer". McLeish's comments were just empty threats from a man who has no idea how to sort the problem out.

I was hoping to come on here to read he had been given the boot.

Shock, horror, Lerner doesn't have it in him. We need an owner with the balls to lead the club, not someone the otherside of the Atlantic, that watches games on TV and shows up in November.

We're a bit clueless.

I think we are a club in desperate need of a fresh approach, this counter-attacking game was sussed out long ago.

100 % agree. I think in football terms it's the easiest to coach, easiest and cheapest to finance (We do it, enough said), easiest to beat, hardest to watch(from our point of view) & hardest to move away from (as in , Let's play like X Y Z team, What do we need to tweak?).

I moan about players leaving but no matter where you work, if they are doing it wrong and someone (who does it right eg. Man Utd) comes knocking, who can blame them for going.

Spurs were better than us in every department last night, and for the first time in a long time (since DOL) i had to force myself to watch until the ned.

I've defended McLeish all season, even defended his style of football, but last night he really messed up. I can't believe even he thinks we were "right at 'em' at any point of that game, the formation and starting lineup shouted "defeat" and we got what we deserved. The players even seemed to be defeated before we got going, and quite frankly Tottenham's flowing attacking football made us look amateurish by comparison.

I won't shout "McLeish Out" just eyt, but the weekends game against a good Swansea team (who also pass the ball about very well) is now extremely important for us, and with the big games we've got against Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in the next 6 weeks, it's now a must win game.

You can't blame McLeish for taking the job, but he seems determined to prove the detractors right in that he seems to lack the skills required to do it. Some might say that was obvious even before his appointment, but you could have said the same for John Gregory when he stepped up from managing Wycombe to managing Villa. It's unfortunate for us that McLesih is looking more like Graham Turner than John Gregory, and without a huge change of playing style and upturn in attitude from the players we're going to be in a right mess come the middle of January.

There is no injury crisis - this is McLeish selecting his first choice team.

Antifootball .

He is our Gary Megson

Totally agree with this ^^

I know N'Zogbia has been off the boil recently but leaving him on the bench to play Hutton on the right is just amazing IMO. How the hell is the guy supposed to develop any kind of confidence when a poorly performing right back is selected to play in the position he occupied full time last season?

McLeish put the emphasis on defence last night, which is the weakest part of our team. He should have played to our strengths and played a forward 4 of Gabby, Zog, Bent, Albrighton and gone at them out wide to try to push their full backs back towards their own goal rather than letting them have the freedom to attack ours instead!

Heskey is just a non-starter for me. He offers very little and for people to say he gives us a phyiscal presence is laughable because he gets knocked over more than a shit boxer.

I couldn't agree with this post more!

Last night showed that he has no balls, blaming players for his own errors takes the piss. Tactically inept! He even looks like the naughty kid when interviewed, saying "it wasn't my fault, it was them". It's pretty embarrassing.

Â