The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

It's too late to sack McLeish this season. Our only hope is that Lerner sacks him when the season is over.

When we are in the Championship?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcleish would be stupid to resign. Even though I want him out, from his point of view the abuse and criticism is worth it when your the 19th best paid manager in the world, and the potential pay off of millions he would get if he was sacked.

I'm not entirely convinced McLeish would go even if we were relegated. As stupid as that sounds, it's not as stupid as hiring him in the first place.

I agree.

As others have previously said, our pathetic board would probably highlight the fact that he got SHA promoted from the Championship and so would consider him the "Ideal Man".

If it is true that Mcleish has been criticising the quality of the squad on sky sports news, that is scandalous. He needs to look in the mirror, and realise he is to blame for the current mess. Admittedly the playing staff is not great, but with a decent manager in charge I believe we would probably have about 7-9 more points.

It depends on how you interpret his comments, I didn't take them as a criticism of the current players as such, but more a statement that the team had lost qualityc omapred to that of last season, and they struggled last season too.

It's basically him saying I'm doing ok because I've got a weaker side than last year but I'm in the same sort of position.

You might not agree but I would imagine if you gave Mancini a weakened squad and he wasn't challenging for the title he'd say something similar.

Admittedly the playing staff is not great, but with a decent manager in charge I believe we would probably have about 7-9 more pints.

We should have appointed Bryan Robson then!

:cheers::mrgreen:

Why not :-), almost anyone would be better than the clown we have now, and Eck's record confirms it. Even David Blunkett can see this man is useless. :-).

If it is true that Mcleish has been criticising the quality of the squad on sky sports news, that is scandalous. He needs to look in the mirror, and realise he is to blame for the current mess. Admittedly the playing staff is not great, but with a decent manager in charge I believe we would probably have about 7-9 more points.

It depends on how you interpret his comments, I didn't take them as a criticism of the current players as such, but more a statement that the team had lost qualityc omapred to that of last season, and they struggled last season too.

It's basically him saying I'm doing ok because I've got a weaker side than last year but I'm in the same sort of position.

Agreed I don't think he's criticising the playing squad, more pointing out he feels the squad as a whole is weaker. I do think, though at this tiem of the season he should be trying be more positive, to try and give the players a boost.

The kind of talk, in the interview, is almost giving himself, and the players, an excuse for the poor season, and almost paving the way for the club to explain why this season's been so poor and justifing keeping Eck in charge. IMO.

You might not agree but I would imagine if you gave Mancini a weakened squad and he wasn't challenging for the title he'd say something similar.

It is true that the squad is weaker than last year. I don't think anyone is going to argue that. The thing is, we're not playing against last year's team, we're playing against the rest of the league and, in my opinion, our team is stronger than Swansea's, Norwich's, Fulham's and not a million miles off Everton.

He's also had a full pre season to develop his own feel to the team, and we are seeing the fruits of his labour.

Whether he's having to cut costs and work to a budget, and recently been unlucky with injuries, has no bearing on the style of play, the lack of fight and the fact that we concede loads from corners whilst having scored none from the same. A better manager wouldn't have in where we are in the table.

Better managers are also being paid a lot less in the league - odd considering we're on a tight budget.

He had the entire summer to find players like a Nathan Dyer, Danny Graham! Gylfi Siggurdsson (being deployed perfectly in the Stephen Ireland role IMO, unlike Stephen Ireland himself), a Demba Ba, a Grant Holt or the Pilkington fella at Norwich.... The list is endless.

Maybe easy for me to say in hindsight, but good players are available at reasonable prices and wages, and he had the luxury of time to find them. Instead he spent an age buying CNZ and can't get him to work, and spunked a large chunk on Alan Hutton!

He's just doing a poor job and he's in a battle, but unfortunately the battle seems already to be lost in his head.

I am not in the UK, so I didnt see this alledged interview. So with out seeing I can not comment and judge. For all I know this interview may not of even happened. I am just going by what others on here have said.

Voinjama - I've copied this off the SSN website for you.

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish admits he fears being dragged into the relegation dogfight.

Villa sit just five points above the drop zone and they arguably face the toughest run-in of the sides down at the wrong end of the table.

McLeish's options have been hit by injuries to the likes of Darren Bent, Richard Dunne and Charles N'Zogbia and the absence of Stiliyan Petrov through illness and the Villa boss is determined to get to the 40-point mark as soon as possible.

"I don't think I have ever not been worried this season," McLeish told the Daily Mirror.

"We have to look to get to at least 40 points. That is the target I'd be giving to the players and get to that target as quickly as possible.

"We have to look to get to at least 40 points. That is the target I'd be giving to the players and get to that target as quickly as possible."

Alex McLeish Quotes of the week

"I think we could have been better with some of the points we have thrown away.

"But we have been weakened by injuries. Birmingham were also definitely significantly weakened after winning the Cup final - losing about five or six key players.

"That does make your job much harder without doubt. But I care, I am conscientious and try and leave no stone unturned.

"I am a deep thinker about things. I am concentrating on winning enough games to make sure Villa is OK."

Weaker

McLeish admits he is not surprised Villa have struggled this season after losing the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing last summer.

"I did say at the beginning of the season it wasn't the greatest experienced squad though," added McLeish.

"We had a lot of young players augmenting the squad. I said it would be a tough challenge for us and a transitional period given the way Randy wants to run the club and get the wages down.

"It has been proven and we are weaker than the players here last season at this stage.

"They had Ashley Young, Downing and Kyle Walker - three terrific players."

It's too late to sack McLeish this season. Our only hope is that Lerner sacks him when the season is over.

Cant understand why it would be too late?? Probably in the sense that it would be difficult, to get another manager in and try and fix the mess, McLeish has brought us in. But I would rather another manager came in and tried to win a couple of games, instead of trying to scrape a couple of 0-0 games home.

Cant understand why it would be too late?? Probably in the sense that it would be difficult, to get another manager in and try and fix the mess, McLeish has brought us in. But I would rather another manager came in and tried to win a couple of games, instead of trying to scrape a couple of 0-0 games home.

I think a lot of people just like the pain of watching it....

Voinjama - I've copied this off the SSN website for you.

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish admits he fears being dragged into the relegation dogfight.

Villa sit just five points above the drop zone and they arguably face the toughest run-in of the sides down at the wrong end of the table.

McLeish's options have been hit by injuries to the likes of Darren Bent, Richard Dunne and Charles N'Zogbia and the absence of Stiliyan Petrov through illness and the Villa boss is determined to get to the 40-point mark as soon as possible.

"I don't think I have ever not been worried this season," McLeish told the Daily Mirror.

"We have to look to get to at least 40 points. That is the target I'd be giving to the players and get to that target as quickly as possible.

"We have to look to get to at least 40 points. That is the target I'd be giving to the players and get to that target as quickly as possible."

Alex McLeish Quotes of the week

"I think we could have been better with some of the points we have thrown away.

"But we have been weakened by injuries. Birmingham were also definitely significantly weakened after winning the Cup final - losing about five or six key players.

"That does make your job much harder without doubt. But I care, I am conscientious and try and leave no stone unturned.

"I am a deep thinker about things. I am concentrating on winning enough games to make sure Villa is OK."

Weaker

McLeish admits he is not surprised Villa have struggled this season after losing the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing last summer.

"I did say at the beginning of the season it wasn't the greatest experienced squad though," added McLeish.

"We had a lot of young players augmenting the squad. I said it would be a tough challenge for us and a transitional period given the way Randy wants to run the club and get the wages down.

"It has been proven and we are weaker than the players here last season at this stage.

"They had Ashley Young, Downing and Kyle Walker - three terrific players."

Thanks djamfisher

To be honest it is not that bad, there is nothing that makes me think "How dare he".

Only 7 games left, I beleive we could get a better manager if we wait until and summer and get someone good in. Any manager appointed now would either be a caretaker or panic appointment. I want Mcleish out but lets let him have the final 7 games.

I think Im at the stage where I would say get rid of him and even bring in Bruce till the end of the season.

With McLeish in charge I cant see where the next point let alone 3 are coming from.

I am not unconvinced that there isn't a one way take up clause in McLeish's contract.

Given the circumstances under which he arrived, and the fact that the club had made, or were about to make, large payouts on someone who 'resigned' and someone who was medically unfit to work, I would have expect the club to protect itself a bit better.

But then maybe not.

Regardless of the strength of the squad, the question the media should be throwing at McLeish is 'Have you got the best out of the squad you have had at your disposal?'. I don't think he could answer 'yes' honestly.

We lost good players but McLeish seems to have taken 'transitional season' as meaning that decline is acceptable and expected - and that attitude comes out in the way we've played. Transition implies some plan for progression. This season has given little evidence of one.

Only 7 games left, I beleive we could get a better manager if we wait until and summer and get someone good in. Any manager appointed now would either be a caretaker or panic appointment. I want Mcleish out but lets let him have the final 7 games.

We thought that about last summer :lol:

But I do agree that there's no point replacing him at this stage of the season. He has to see this mess through and then hopefully will resign/be sacked following the last day of the season (whether or not we stay up).

Â