The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The message boards have been going crazy. Dreadful manager, relegated twice with Blues, finished third with Rangers... Forget the fact that he got Blues to their highest League finish in over fifty years and a League Cup, a bigger achievement than Villa have managed in the last 16 years. Forget the fact that he won the Scottish Premier League twice with Rangers - sure it was only against Martin O'Neill's Celtic and sure he signed a bunch of players on Bosman free transfers. Sure if he had money he would have misused it I'm sure. Forget the fact he won seven out of ten matches at Scotland, including one away to France in Paris, sure Scotland have proven how good they were since. Forget the fact he took Rangers to the last 16 of the Champions League, further than any other Scottish side. Forget getting Hibernians in Europe, who are second last in the League now. It's not important... He got Blues relegated twice and finished third with Rangers. Although his predecessor Paul Le Guen lasted only a few months in the job, what with no money to spend that McLeish had to contend with, sure it was probably McLeish's fault they did so badly under Le Guen.

We don't care where he came from. Those 500 or so protesting outside the ground, before he was even appointed, no we all gave him a chance. What did the banner say? "No McLeish at Aston Villa".... No, that's not why we don't like him, it's the style he plays. Were people booing at his first home game at Villa Park against Blackburn? Ah, it was only a few. Sure every other manager has had a few boos on their first game I'd say. And it's four months since we've won at home. That is unacceptable. It doesn't matter that fans haven't been getting behind the team, who needs home support these days!

And it's been so so boring... Way too many draws! I mean that draw against QPR, awful stuff. We had 23 shots in that game. Nearly fell asleep. And it's definitely McLeish's fault we only scored two. Sure under Martin O'Neill we were always playing positive end to end football. It's only a matter of time before we lose 7-1 to someone. Even at the weekend, what was McLeish thinking telling the players to take shots on Paul Robinson in that form. Why oh why didn't we appoint Andre Villas Boas or Rafael Benetiz in the summer? Randy Lerner, hang your head in shame. How dare you consider cutting costs after pumping €260 million into the club. You've only half done the job! If you had appointed a decent manager, Ashley Young, Stuart Downing, Brad Friedel, James Milner, Gareth Barry would surely have stayed. And don't start me on the injuries. There's only one person I'm blaming for them, McLeish!

What we need is to get our fingers out as fans. Sign petitions, wave anti-McLeish banners at matches. We've had enough of a manager we've never accepted, never encouraged and consistently berated. He's just not doing the job he should be doing. Look at our eleven remaining fixtures, we're bound to lose eight or nine of them and probably go down. I know we've only lost nine of the previous 27 but we're bound to go downhill from here. Sure we're in a relegation battle don't you know. Only eight points clear of some quality teams like Blackburn, Wigan, Wolves and QPR. Sure they are picking points at an increasing rate , 0.8 a game. If they continue like that they'll finish on 31 points, and we may not get those two points to see us safe. There's only one way to escape relegation, sack McLeish now!! You aren't a true fan if you even think for a moment we should give him a chance to build his own team.

Did I mention he got Blues relegated twice and finished third with Rangers?

http://astonvilla.ie/entry.php?b=33

a decent article about Eck

This should be on every page of this thread imo. You don't have to love him, but at least try to read and understand what this is saying.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'mythical' big picture to defend Houllier?

So you were glad that we lost Houllier and brought in McLeish then Trent?

What on earth are you on about? Don't try and put words in my mouth please.

Unless.. You knew about the Houllier-big-picture and wanted McLeish in charge?

I've literally no idea what on earth you are waffling on about here but I will presume its another attempt to put words in my mouth and therefore ignore it.

Deflect, deflect...

He's clearly not putting words in your mouth here, he's asking you questions... hence the question marks.

Sticking a question mark on the end of something doesn't make it a genuine question especially when the question contains an answer on your behalf. That is putting words in someones mouth.

If they were genuine questions I'd answer them but they aren't.

Im very glad to have won saturday , fantastic.

trying to persuade myself to part with the best part of £750 for next season based on what i have witnessesd from mcleish cant be justified at the moment.

With certain big contracts up in the summer , if those funds that are freed up are utilised to remove mcleish and bring in someone like Gus poyet then i will support the club .

We are boring to watch , i want the team to have a core of the youth team in it and am sure they can play with less fear and more freedom under a modern thinking manager.

Tbf that really is a great article. Things can get so one sided you need things like that to put into perspective. My issue is that we had shown signs of improvement until the horrific City selection, which still baffles me to this day, and was a catastrophic PR disaster. We're only 4 points off 8th now and I think it's crucial that we go into the summer rebuild with at least some momentum, otherwise McLeish's job will continue to be made impossible by the fans.

Tbf that really is a great article. Things can get so one sided you need things like that to put into perspective. My issue is that we had shown signs of improvement until the horrific City selection, which still baffles me to this day, and was a catastrophic PR disaster. We're only 4 points off 8th now and I think it's crucial that we go into the summer rebuild with at least some momentum, otherwise McLeish's job will continue to be made impossible by the fans.
Funny you should mention how things can get one-sided because the article you're heaping praise is incredibly one-sided as well.

Funny you should mention how things can get one-sided because the article you're heaping praise is incredibly one-sided as well.

I know, that's the point, that the truth is somewhere in the middle and people's prejudices cloud their judgment.

I swear there are people on here who wanted us to lose yesterday
Doubt it. A lot wanted a loss over a draw though (myself included).

confused by this statement Mantis. you wanted us to lose saturday?

Nope, where did I say that? :?

I think Mantis and some others wanted us to win to get all three points of course, but would have preferred a loss over a draw because 1 point wouldn't change much in regards to our Premier League position. A loss, however, would have heaped pressure on McLeish even more so which may have culminated in him getting the axe which would have been preferable to getting one extra point. Please correct me if I'm wrong though Mantis.

The clue is in the words you chose to use

I think Mantis and some others wanted us to win to get all three points of course, but would have preferred a loss over a draw because 1 point wouldn't change much in regards to our Premier League position. A loss, however, would have heaped pressure on McLeish even more so which may have culminated in him getting the axe which would have been preferable to getting one extra point. Please correct me if I'm wrong though Mantis.

Yeah this is pretty much how I felt aswell tbh... Wanted us to win.. But would have lost over the draw..More pressure on McLeish.

The clue is in the words you chose to use

Well I never said anything close to "I want us to lose", so clearly people aren't reading my posts properly.

Correct.

Honestly if anyone is happy with the way
Honestly if anyone is happy with the way things are at Villa then they need to put down there meth pipe's.

Thats not the point is it? Nobody is saying they are happy! The point some posters trying to make is that the criticism of AML is onesided and just trying to prove a point(that you hate him). And just post info and stats that prove you're point and leaving out facts that doesn't suit you're agenda.

And I think the reasons are:

A. You think that the appoinment was totally underwelming (I agree).

B. His last club was sha.

C. You actually thought there was a chance Ancelotti was signing (and said Benitez was not godo enough LOL).

The fact is nobody wanted the job because there was nog money available for transfers and with an overpaid useless squad that nobody wants to touch with barge pole AND a wage budget problem from hell.

I'm no fan what so ever but at least he had the balls to take job under the circumstances given to him.

Honestly if anyone is happy with the way things are at Villa then they need to put down there meth pipe's.

Thats not the point is it? Nobody is saying they are happy! The point some posters trying to make is that the criticism of AML is onesided and just trying to prove a point(that you hate him). And just post info and stats that prove you're point and leaving out facts that doesn't suit you're agenda.

C. You actually thought there was a chance Ancelotti was signing (and said Benitez was not godo enough LOL).

The fact is nobody wanted the job because there was nog money available for transfers and with an overpaid useless squad that nobody wants to touch with barge pole AND a wage budget problem from hell.

I'm no fan what so ever but at least he had the balls to take job under the circumstances given to him.

I'm sure the huge increase in wages was the clincher over the size of his balls!

I'm sure the huge increase in wages was the clincher over the size of his balls!

Money probabaly a factor, but still he knew how much abuse was coming his way, could have chosen the easy way out and playing it cool at sha and waiting for the next PL offer, that would come his way. Instead of risking more at Villa (geting sacked and his reputation destroyed by angry fans).

I know that barring a takeover it's extremely likely that McLeish will be here next season. However, that doesn't make me any less against him being our manager. The prospect of having to put up with enough season like this fills me with dread. It's not so much that I fear us going down (although I do fear that), it's that I just don't know whether I can bear another season of this low-scoring, boring, negative football that McLeish teams play. Sure results may improve but even if that does happen we'll probably still be boring and negative. **** that.

I seem to remember a west brom team playing particularly attractive football, they went down.

Don't get me wrong, i want to be entertained, but firstly I want to win matches, I really couldnt care if we won 1-0 every game as i'd look at the table and couldn't give a shit how we got there.

Whereas if we went all out attack and lost every game 4-3 then we'd go down and i'd be gutted. There's a fine line, I seem to remember MON drawing a lot of games in his first season.

Edit: We drew 17 games under MON in his first season. Was that boring, negative football? I don't seem to remember anyone complaining that MON made us a team that was hard to beat and then built on it. If we equal that this season then at least we'll stay up.

Why are you jumping to extremes? I don't want us to go to the complete opposite and start being ridiculous, I just don't want to see us so negative and boring all the time.

We've had 46 attempts on goal in the last 3 games yet only scored 2 goals.

Compare that to arsenal who have had 39 attempts on goal in their last 3 games yet scored 10 goals.

Corrct me if im wrong but boring and negative wouldn't have meant so many attempts on goal?

How does that prove that we've not been negative this season?

Over the season it doesn't but over the last few game it does! Maybe AM has realised this, at least it looks like he's trying to rectify it and some fans can now see that but others remain against him and never will change.

Suggesting you'd rather we lost than drew is pretty disgusting as a fan. This shows that people just want him to fail and will never support him.

Money probabaly a factor, but still he knew how much abuse was coming his way, could have chosen the easy way out and playing it cool at sha and waiting for the next PL offer, that would come his way. Instead of risking more at Villa (geting sacked and his reputation destroyed by angry fans).

im sure the £6 to £7 million pounds he recieves for signing the contract goes some way to nursing his sensitive soul after getting dogs abuse for playing utter shit football 80% of the time and getting shit results also in 80% of the games.

if he had any balls he would walk, or infact wouldnt have taken the job in the first place, he would have the confidence that he could attract a bigger and better club to manage. it is also why the copper topped freak wont walk, because he knows no one else will have him.

thats not having balls, walking shows he has the 'balls' to do it thinking he will walk into another job

he is clinging on to his job like one of those tricky sloppy shits you have and you can feel a cling on but try as you may to shake it off, it just wont **** go

1 winand some people are again thinkng it is a corner turned? good grief.

he is clinging on to his job like one of those tricky sloppy shits you have and you can feel a cling on but try as you may to shake it off, it just wont **** go.

HAHAHA

1 winand some people are again thinkng it is a corner turned? good grief.

No i am not thinking that at all. I still think we have a piss poor season, but I don't think AML is the only reason for that. Would I rather have for example Benitez? YES! But I would not like to see O'Neil near Villa again, **** quitter and the reason why we're paying people like Heskey £60k a week.

Â