The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Laursen only played about a dozen games in the 06/07 season.

I don't know why this keeps getting ignored.

We also had poor attacking options and nothing close to what Mcleish has on offer.

Thinking back we had an attack of Angel, who as much as I love him, at the time was no better than Heskey is now, an up and coming Gabby, who had scored a single goal in his career prior to that season and Luke Moore who was... well Luke Moore. Damn!

Edit : almost forgot about Baros, the word removed.

From memory the squad we have now is far superior to the one MON inherited from DOL.

Not sure I agree, don't forget we had bouma Laursen mellberg Barry

Plus MON had cash to buy Petrov Carew and Young

The squads were similar in capability but MON inherited a much better defence

Laursen had played about 10 or so games for Aston Villa before MON arrived. His best years were while MON was in change. Samoe for Bouma, he was rubbish his first season. Barry was on his way to Portsmouth for 4 milion pounds until MON arrived and kept him. Says it all.

King Olof, was of course, king Olof.

MON's first season squad was extremely poor, much much weaker than this season's.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I'm remembering him having Baros up front, Luke Moore out wide with Gabby on the other flank and Gavin McCann in midfield.

Wiki says it all for me, especially with their most played starting XI

On current form this is a worse back four compared to MON's first season. Not to mention we had dross in midfield like Gavin McCann and Steven Davies on the right of midfield.

RB: Alan Hutton

CB: Richard Dunne

CB: James Collins

LB: Stephen Warnock

RB: Liam Ridgewell

CB: Gary Cahill

CB: Olof Mellberg

LB: Wilfred Bouma

From memory the squad we have now is far superior to the one MON inherited from DOL.

Not sure I agree, don't forget we had bouma Laursen mellberg Barry

Plus MON had cash to buy Petrov Carew and Young

The squads were similar in capability but MON inherited a much better defence

Laursen had played about 10 or so games for Aston Villa before MON arrived. His best years were while MON was in change. Samoe for Bouma, he was rubbish his first season. Barry was on his way to Portsmouth for 4 milion pounds until MON arrived and kept him. Says it all.

King Olof, was of course, king Olof.

MON's first season squad was extremely poor, much much weaker than this season's.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I'm remembering him having Baros up front, Luke Moore out wide with Gabby on the other flank and Gavin McCann in midfield.

Wiki says it all for me, especially with their most played starting XI

Yeah looking at that team, its not the greatest of attacking talent is it? AM has more attacking talent now, than MON did back then... Minus Barry.. take a look at our midfield. very very weak.. same as now.. We never replaced The engine of James milner.. Insead we got Ireland, who on his day is a good player, Will never have the work rate of milner.. We need to find a player similar to milner.

Possibly, we also had Luke Moore scoring a hat-trick at Middlesborough and remember Craig Gardners stunner at Bolton !

I do remember those days, and I remember thinking that our academy was finally producing top quality players for our first team.

Sadly, the manager didn't agree. Possibly rightly so.

The thing is, CI, if you reverse the roles MON would get far more out of this team that Eck has, and Eck would have had nothing like the impact MON has had on Sunderland.

McLeish's record after 25 games is almost an exact replica of MONs first 25 games with us

Sadly I don't think this comparison is going to stand up for much longer. Unless of course McLeish can take 22 points from the next 13 games which I very much doubt.

McLeish's record after 25 games is almost an exact replica of MONs first 25 games with us

I don't think the club can justify getting rid now at this stage in the season

Come the summer, yes possibly

:shock: :shock: I did not know that. I know that the first season under MON was not great but I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as this. I thought AVFC got 50 points that season.

As for the league being worst now, I am not sure about that. The fact that there are 6 strong contenders for the Champions League instead of 4 would suggest otherwise. Also I remember Watford in the premiership in 06/07 and they were horiffically bad, much worse then Wigan now.

:shock: :shock: I did not know that. I know that the first season under MON was not great but I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as this. I thought AVFC got 50 points that season.

we did finish with 50 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_FA_Premier_League

we did finish with 50 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_FA_Premier_League

And then the next season he finished with 60 points-2007/08, then the next season he finished with 62 points-2008/09, at lastly he finished the 2009/10 season with 64 points, finishing ahead of liverpool and a couple behind Man city.. Ah i miss those days!! MON improved Season upon season with villa, well points anyway.

Sadly I don't think this comparison is going to stand up for much longer. Unless of course McLeish can take 22 points from the next 13 games which I very much doubt.

That's why we should reserve judgment until may

Who knows, we could win the next 4 and be flying, equally we could get relegated. It's too soon to call

We went though an awful spell under O'Neill's first season which was flanked by two decent spells. McLeish has been consistently below par which could threaten to be disastrous depending on the next four games.

As for the league being worst now, I am not sure about that. The fact that there are 6 strong contenders for the Champions League instead of 4 would suggest otherwise. Also I remember Watford in the premiership in 06/07 and they were horiffically bad, much worse then Wigan now.

I agree that the PL is much more competitive now than it was back then.

I'd also swap O'Neill's defence with ours in a heartbeat; Bouma, Mellberg and Cahill could all still arguably do a better job than the clowns we currently have. Unfortunately for McLeish he's inherited a terrible defence!

Â