The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

At the end of the day we arent that good a side, we have a small amount of good players and we have an average manager but even with Mourinho in charge we'd realistically only be a few points better off and we'd still have lost yesterday.

We may only be slightly better in terms of points at this stage with a better manager but as fans we'd certainly be more hopeful for the future.

Too many fans are just looking at it short term. We need to build a team, we need a manager who can find good deals in the transfer market. We need a manager who through their coaching can improve the players and the football.

For me there is no evidence Mcleish can do this. So while a few things might go right I haven't seen enough to give me hope that in the future Mcleish will have us competing and more entertaining.

Last 2 paragraphs at this stage of the proceedings I agree with.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of your post blandy, but how is he doing the best he can with what he has? Doing the best he can with what he has would mean being more shrewd in the transfer market, better football (I don't necessarily mean passing, just more attacking) and we'd be getting better results.
I think it's because he is capable of a level of "success" as a manager, but no more. I don't think he (or a lot of other managers) could be "more shrewd" in the market and I don't think the players we have can be moulded to play particularly differently and achieve results.

I think transfers are always a risk, some work, some don't. WHen you have a limited budget it's even harder.

As for the style of play, I don't much like it, much of the time. But pragmatically, when GH tried to change it, the results were really poor. When he went back to the "Old" MO'N style, the results improved. AMcL has the same problem, but is limited further because it's not his way to play a more easy on the eye style. He is all about solid, hard work, bread and butter.

He does what it says on the tin, and for me personally expecting a tin of Baxters Soup to taste like Restaurant Lobster Bisque is not going to happen.

I'm officially supporting McLeish now.

let's face it, the squad was already on the slide when MON left.

Three managers and an asset stripping later, McLeish has to play percentages and keep us up.

Basically Ugly football.

He is blooding the youngsters, dropping the none performing big signings... He is my type of bloke.

Most of all he is building the team into his own without changing the names much.

So I'm 100% certain we will be much better by the end of the season and will stay up.

McLiesh will be here for a long time....

I'm officially supporting McLeish now.

let's face it, the squad was already on the slide when MON left.

Three managers and an asset stripping later, McLeish has to play percentages and keep us up.

Basically Ugly football.

He is blooding the youngsters, dropping the none performing big signings... He is my type of bloke.

Most of all he is building the team into his own without changing the names much.

So I'm 100% certain we will be much better by the end of the season and will stay up.

McLiesh will be here for a long time....

he's far from my type of bloke. A yes man, with very little managerial talent at this level, unimaginative, doesn't see errors, can't react when other managers react, can't man manage, can't motivate and has poor tactical knowledge. No, nope not my type of bloke. No support from me.

The strange thing is when people say hes negative and we sit too deep - Whenever I see him on the sides hes telling the players to push forward.

This sat too deep thing is a myth that's why. If anything we did not sit deep enough. Watch from the kick-off in the 2nd half. Keane, Gabby, Bent Ireland all push up towards their goal. We always had plenty of players forward yesterday. Their goals we had players chasing them back (Bent penalty). We may have won the match if we did park the bus - but it would have been a long half!

Like I said before, you can't put yesterday on Mcleish.

Said this a few times, under any sort of pressure the defence drops to the edge of the 18 yard box. The midfield then seems to have no idea whether to press high or drop back to make up the second line of four. Instead, they seem to make that decision individually.

If the forwards and midfield do press higher up the pitch, you end up with a yawning chasm between the defence and the attackers. This to an attacking team is fantastic as it affords time and space to play.

That to me is a management and coaching issue as if nothing else, you expect a team to be well organised. If your senior players are too inflexible to adapt, then use the kids. In a team, the sum of the parts should be better than the individual components. But only if the team is organised.

At the end of the day we arent that good a side, we have a small amount of good players and we have an average manager but even with Mourinho in charge we'd realistically only be a few points better off and we'd still have lost yesterday.

We may only be slightly better in terms of points at this stage with a better manager but as fans we'd certainly be more hopeful for the future.

Too many fans are just looking at it short term. We need to build a team, we need a manager who can find good deals in the transfer market. We need a manager who through their coaching can improve the players and the football.

For me there is no evidence Mcleish can do this. So while a few things might go right I haven't seen enough to give me hope that in the future Mcleish will have us competing and more entertaining.

This. Absolutely this.

I don't blame McLeish. I don't even dislike him. In fact I seem to be on e of the few who thinks he comes across as a decent guy.

But I haven't seen anythign to suggest he's leading us somewhere, and that it'll all come together.

I think he has the ability to keep us in the league as a midtable/Lower half team, but he doesn't have enough to kick us on and improve.

Even under Houllier, as I said before, you could see what he was trying to build, even if it was going to take time that we couldn't afford.

I don't see that under McLeish

This. Absolutely this.

I don't blame McLeish. I don't even dislike him. In fact I seem to be on e of the few who thinks he comes across as a decent guy.

But I haven't seen anythign to suggest he's leading us somewhere, and that it'll all come together.

I think he has the ability to keep us in the league as a midtable/Lower half team, but he doesn't have enough to kick us on and improve.

Even under Houllier, as I said before, you could see what he was trying to build, even if it was going to take time that we couldn't afford.

I don't see that under McLeish

Fully agree with both posts.

with a lack of investment from the owner you aren't going to get a decent manager doesn't anyone understand this?

By my reckoning, McLeish has been given just shy of 17 million pounds to build his team. Add to that, 2m in compensation that we paid for the useless lump.

Are you saying that the likes of Lambert, Poyet or Rogers wouldn't have seriously considered being able to spend that from the off?

Plus, the freedom to wheel and deal as they saw fit within what are still not that restrictive a financial structure?

Another tired excuse that holds no water to me. There are better managers out there, who would have utilized the existing squad better and bought more wisely.

I think we need to remember the mess that we were in last year before being too critical of AMc. Under Houlier we had players falling out, Gabby not deemed worthy of a starting position, kids being played when they were clearly out of their depth, passing the ball around at the back with no forward progression and the Love-in with LFC - it was really dire! To his and Randy's credit we played the financial get out of jail card with the signing of Bent (although apparently he wasn't Houllier's first choice!) and IMO this is what saved us from relegation.

AMc has brought some stability to the team, has blooded some youngsters in a managed fashion (in stark contrast to Houllier) having lost arguably our 2 best players in Young and Downing. I don't accept this talk about we are always negative - it seems to me the easy thing to say without foundation.

We can always talk about what a brilliant team we would of been under Matrinez or the like but I for one am prepared to give AMc the benefit of the doubt in what are difficult financial times.

UTV

with a lack of investment from the owner you aren't going to get a decent manager doesn't anyone understand this?

By my reckoning, McLeish has been given just shy of 17 million pounds to build his team. Add to that, 2m in compensation that we paid for the useless lump.

Are you saying that the likes of Lambert, Poyet or Rogers wouldn't have seriously considered being able to spend that from the off?

Plus, the freedom to wheel and deal as they saw fit within what are still not that restrictive a financial structure?

Another tired excuse that holds no water to me. There are better managers out there, who would have utilized the existing squad better and bought more wisely.

well hang on Given was a great buy, the only money I see as being wasted is on that idiot Hutton.

£17m isn't going to get you top 6 nowadays, not unless you spend it on one midfield dynamo, but we don't have the luxury of having a strong enough squad to do that.

If we still had young and downing you could quite happily spend 2x£8.5m for a LB and a RB, however we bought Nzogbia who won a good portion of Wigans points on his own with one game arguably keeping them up with two goals towards the end of the season.

I think looking for McLeish making stupid buys isn't correct, bought 3 of which one was awful.

Jenas is the other mystery however that was a loan and not a purchase, plus he was fit before he arrived, he got injured when he was with us.

I still maintain Randy wants us to limp through to the summer, get rid of the dead wood which are on monster wages, assess the situation and probably dish another £20m in the summer.

problem is McLeish will need to buy about 5 players with that, which unfortunately means more averageness or BIG gambles from lower leagues for little money.

Ideally I hope Albrighton, Clark, Bannan and Delph really step up before the summer to which we only need

LB

RB

CB

well hang on Given was a great buy, the only money I see as being wasted is on that idiot Hutton.

£17m isn't going to get you top 6 nowadays, not unless you spend it on one midfield dynamo, but we don't have the luxury of having a strong enough squad to do that.

If we still had young and downing you could quite happily spend 2x£8.5m for a LB and a RB, however we bought Nzogbia who won a good portion of Wigans points on his own with one game arguably keeping them up with two goals towards the end of the season.

I think looking for McLeish making stupid buys isn't correct, bought 3 of which one was awful.

Jenas is the other mystery however that was a loan and not a purchase, plus he was fit before he arrived, he got injured when he was with us.

I still maintain Randy wants us to limp through to the summer, get rid of the dead wood which are on monster wages, assess the situation and probably dish another £20m in the summer.

problem is McLeish will need to buy about 5 players with that, which unfortunately means more averageness or BIG gambles from lower leagues for little money.

Ideally I hope Albrighton, Clark, Bannan and Delph really step up before the summer to which we only need

LB

RB

CB

You stated that we would not get a decent manager due to a lack of investment?

I argued against that.

Absolutely none of that has anything to do with how McLeish spent the money? There was money, and enough money to entice a decent manager who might or might not have spent it more wisely.

but you are basing that lambert etc are better managers on what?

their ability to get clubs promoted?

does that mean we should get Warnock in?

or maybe look towards Di Canio as he looks as though Swindon will go up this year.

They are still risks, yes they could come good but more likely not to. Look at Martinez, whilst people think he is a good manager I bet Wigan go down this year and they nearly did the year before.

Giving someone loads of money to spend doesn't mean they will spend it wisely nor does it mean it can propell a championship winning manager to Premier league regular.

typically i was at work till 5pm so had to make do with the bbc internet updates, half time 2-0, i looked at the stats and they had something like 68% possession and 6 shots on target to 2 for us.

but we were 2 -0 up

i spoke to a work mate who asked why i was looking shocked, i told him the score, i then said goodbye and also said to hi that we will lose 4-2, he asked why, i tild him that the manager will have a half time team talk which will **** everything up.

he thought i was joking.

i get home, find a stream just as they take their 1st pen, i then watch as my rather predictable prediction started to come true.

it isnt as if this is the first time i have said it, he play how he wants and for small amounts of the game the players forget what they are told and look half good, then GC gets his hands on the team again and it goes tits up.

didnt see first half but second half, playing 5 yards from the keepers area is not the best way to defend, i also didnt see any meaty challenges which normally slows someone like walcott down and makes him think twice, well i did see a meaty challenge, it was the replay of dunne chopping over the arsenal player for the pen.

no suprises and by the sounds of it, 2 break away goals, doesnt hide yet another poor result, especially after the 2 break away goals gave us a 2-0 margin away from home against a team and manager under loads of pressure.

qpr next is it?

can i make the excuses GC's fans will come up with?

the mark hughes factor? they are in london? blah blah blah tough game they are on the up blah blah blah new players blah blah

that should cover it, they always make shit excuses as to why it wont be a stroll in the park and to make a lame excuse before hand if we lose.

What happens if we win comfortably? What are your excuses going to be?

lets cross that bridge if we come to it shall we?

all the GC supporters refuse point blank to answer what would make them change their views of their god, their messiah, their ginger master

even when put in real simple terms such as would relegation change your mind?

but no they cant even answer that

pathetic

typically i was at work till 5pm so had to make do with the bbc internet updates, half time 2-0, i looked at the stats and they had something like 68% possession and 6 shots on target to 2 for us.

but we were 2 -0 up

i spoke to a work mate who asked why i was looking shocked, i told him the score, i then said goodbye and also said to hi that we will lose 4-2, he asked why, i tild him that the manager will have a half time team talk which will **** everything up.

he thought i was joking.

i get home, find a stream just as they take their 1st pen, i then watch as my rather predictable prediction started to come true.

it isnt as if this is the first time i have said it, he play how he wants and for small amounts of the game the players forget what they are told and look half good, then GC gets his hands on the team again and it goes tits up.

didnt see first half but second half, playing 5 yards from the keepers area is not the best way to defend, i also didnt see any meaty challenges which normally slows someone like walcott down and makes him think twice, well i did see a meaty challenge, it was the replay of dunne chopping over the arsenal player for the pen.

no suprises and by the sounds of it, 2 break away goals, doesnt hide yet another poor result, especially after the 2 break away goals gave us a 2-0 margin away from home against a team and manager under loads of pressure.

qpr next is it?

the mark hughes factor? they are in london? blah blah blah tough game they are on the up blah blah blah new players blah blah

that should cover it, they always make shit excuses as to why it wont be a stroll in the park and to make a lame excuse before hand if we lose.

all the GC supporters refuse point blank to answer what would make them change their views of their god, their messiah, their ginger master

pathetic

I'll answer it when you have the ability to write AM instead of GC.

but we were 2 -0 up

he thought i was joking.

qpr next is it?

pathetic

god? messiah? ginger master? no wonder nobody would respond to you.

Â