Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

Really, really isn't a CB - been at fault for a hat full of goals since he has played there. I know we are short with injuries but surely our youth/reserve CB's are a better bet? At least they know the position.

The start of the Swansea game was painful to watch and the Herd/Clark partnership looked novice to say the least.

I actually feel sorry for Herd because I think this little run of games is going to spell the end of his PL career and he's not even playing in his proper position.

• 5 months later...

just to bring this guy back to peoples attention, i feel he is a very useful, versatile, strong, back up squad player to have around who gets easily forgotten about or slated for, for not being in the mould everyone expects, yes hes more of a 'jack of all trades and master of none' type of player, but dont we need a couple of these floating around the first team?

anyway, my question is seeing as he can cover both RB and CDM positions, where is he better suited? hes most certainly going to be back up to lowton or sylla where required, but with okore and donacien who can also play RB, selection will be limited for him there

whats everyones opinions on this player?

• Like 1

I like Herdy... I think he'd be a very decent squad player and we should keep these types of players around.

That said we could probably pick up a home-grown version of him fairly cheaply if he doesn't qualify as a home-grown talent for PL rules?

Has done exceptionally well at RB the few times he played there under McLeish before Hutton arrived (a lot better than Hutton ever did). For me he's Lowton's deputy.

Agree with this.

Hes a big risk anywhere centrally, and i like the guy so not knocking him by saying that.

I like Herdy... I think he'd be a very decent squad player and we should keep these types of players around.

That said we could probably pick up a home-grown version of him fairly cheaply if he doesn't qualify as a home-grown talent for PL rules?

i'm pretty sure he qualifies as a home-grown player. I would like him to stay but i can see him wanting regular first-team action and at the end of the day he can get that somewhere in the championship. He strikes me, in terms of similar playing positions, as a John O'Shea type of player, shoved in to various positions when needed but never quite getting into the team in his favoured position for a run of games

He's always given 100% when called upon, and he is good cover at right-back, so I think he'll have another season with us making a few appearances when Matt Lowton is unavailable. His contract expires next summer so unless he pulls up some serious trees he'll go the same way as Lichaj.

You could say that for most of our academy graduates; I reckon all of Bannan, Albrighton, Delfouneso and Clark will be dropping down a division or two next summer, if not this one.

Unless Clark seriously cuts out the errors from his game and works on his concentration/awareness he'll never make it at this level, but as you say, thats for another thread.

I'm really pissed off about something I shouldn't be.

What?

Just wondering whether the injury that kept him out all season will have completely cleared up by July 1st? i mean will he even be in full training will all the other lads when pre-season gets underway?

Â